Strategy What does on-field success for us look like in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Get the number 1 mid season draft pick.
Win 6 of the last 11 games.
Trade into the 2022 draft with 2023 F1.
Explode in 2023

Not interested in number 1 picks of any kind anymore. We should be aiming for a sharp climb

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking forward to a season of less injuries, consistancy, and a competitive nature for all players who represent the jumper. l think most of our wins will be in the 1st half of the season, saying that, 5 wins would be nice before the bye depending on our opposition. Getting 4or more games in the 2nd half would be good to see. l also want to see what styles of game plans Noble will be showing us. Time for our 21~25 to turn up week in week out to take some of the load off the older players and younger players.

Good thread, most things have been covered but I’ll tack this on -

I want to see the boys standing up for themselves and going in for one another, reminiscent of the ‘21 West Coast game when the Eagles came into the match with the intent to work over TT, the whole side dug deep and learned a lot about themselves in the process IMO.

If healthy we’ve got contested ball winners across every line and thus nothing to fear from any side, if we’re out-classed by the top 6 so be it, what I don’t want to see is us outworked or dropping our heads when things are tough.

22 four-quarter performances, several roof raising wins at Marvel, thumping our favourite rivals, plenty of eye opening corridor footy and the wider AFL wondering how they’re going to deal with us for the next decade, please and thank you kindly.

Improvements on the 2nd half from last year and winning games we lost by small margins.
I really want to see one of the young guns been talked about as one the best in the AFL.
JHF to give us that feeling ‘the duck’ use to give us.
We play uncompromising footy with a lot of flair and become arrogant like in the 90’s, I miss those days.
Watching the replay multiple times is like pr0n when we win

I'd settle for a win in Melbourne with a crowd. Haven't seen a live win since 2019. That's just depressing when you think about it.

Will be massive for me and likely many others. Hoping it's our first home game. Love to be there to see JHF's first win in the blue and white.

Would also love to see a few wins at the G if we get to play there.

But yeah, just a win with a crowd. To sing the song in person.

Probably, we’re going to lead a lot of teams up until after halftime and then lose out in the second half. Let’s face it, that’s going to drive us mental - in reality. We say now that we’ll be happy enough if we finish 5 from the bottom. You can bet your bottom dollar, that there will be a power of melting happening if that transpires. I believe we all secretly expect us to give the top 8 a crack in 2022. We’re just afraid to say it out loud.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we lock away most of our youth our midfield will be one of the best midfields in the comp in 2023

In 2022 we will improve

We are building one of the most exciting mix I have seen in a long time.

Im super excited for the future :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey to continue his development. Played some great intelligent footy at times.
No injuries
some of the 2nd tier boys get their skates on ie Taylor & Scott. Got the talent. Time to shine
CCJ to display why we had faith in him. If he develops to his potential, we'll be a much better side

I would like to see the team gel a bit more. I’m sick of teams like Richmond having a bloke tackled and firing out an overhead, no look handball only for it to land fortuitously in a teammates lap who proceeds to have a clear run into goal. Our guy’s need to start knowing what each other are doing before they do it.

Some areas I would love to see cleaned up in 2022 which should lead to more on field success.

• Hitting targets in the F50. This means kicking to our forwards advantage instead of placing the ball on top of their heads
  • Sticking tackles and multiple efforts should be expected from all players not just Turner, Mahoney and Anderson
  • Younger brigade stepping up to take the heat off of Ziebs, Hall, Cunners and Goldy. Our heavy reliance on them in 2021 was a bit unfair at times.
  • Fewer unforced errors, this is what had destroyed us in so many games.
2022 season can't come quickly enough!

Last edited:
In the first half the season, we’ll lose two of our best and most important players:
Out: Cunnington, Tarrant, Dumont, Atley
In: Corr, CCJ, Greenwood, JHF, skinny kids
plus, evolving game plan and conditioning

I therefore set no expectations on win/ loss. It will be another year for the eyeball test where I want to see:
One or more of our more talented players elevate themselves to star status (LDU, TT, Simpkin, Stevenson, McKay)
Continued improvement across the board in our young players (Scott, Taylor, Ford, Mahoney, Lazzaro, Powell, Comben)
CCJ, JHF and Phillips show that they are going to be every bit as exciting as we’d want them to be given what we paid for them
Promising debuts by JHF, Goater, Curtis and Archer - Bergman to not snap in half during a strong wind
Cunners return to good health
A playing list that is no longer (or won’t be) one of the worst conditioned in the league
A game plan that is clear and consistently executed
Key players committing to the journey by re-signing

Learning to win without Cunners will just about be the most important on-field objective for us next year. Everything else will flow from there. Because atm we can't do it if he's not playing and that's clearly not sustainable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back