Analysis What does our list look like now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint believer

Team Captain
Aug 28, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
What a great trade period. In my obsession our the new Saints I have had a quick and dirty summary of where we stand. It includes:
- team age profile (hopefully no errors)
- estimation of player position
- a go at my pick for round 1 (a few personal favs in there)

What do you think?

Edit: now includes the correct Hill :)

Attachments

• Slide1.jpeg
    Slide1.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 599
  • Slide2.jpeg
    Slide2.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 630
  • Slide3.jpeg
    Slide3.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
What a great trade period. In my obsession our the new Saints I have had a quick and dirty summary of where we stand. It includes:

What do you think?

Super work SB!... it does highlight that we're starting to get some balance into the midfield now. We still need that explosive mid that can burst from stoppage (hopefully Hunter &/or Bytel can be that player).

What do you think?
I think we are not going to win too many games with that forward line , Butler and Lonie GOP's and Big Max in his first season , we are asking a lot of the kid

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda

What do you think?

Great work.

However I hope the trade paperwork has B Hill and not S Hill on it ;)

Spaceship7

Senior List
Sep 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great Post. The thing i took from that is how much more comfortable I feel with our KPD and Mids with Howard, Hill and Jones in the groups. Particularly Howard.

I also find it disrespectful that most media best 22s I am seeing don't have Wilkie in them, love he was on field for you

What do you think?
Love it!! Great work mate!

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we are not going to win too many games with that forward line , Butler and Lonie GOP's and Big Max in his first season , we are asking a lot of the kid
I think we will be happy with Max to just take a defender, with Membrey still being our main forward.

Just having two talls alongside Membrey should help him tremendously since opposition will need to play their third defender on him. Plus with hopefully improved deliver, I can see him having a 50+ goal season next year.

Just need some more goals from the mids.

Battle Marshall Uncle and Doogie should alleviate that.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Ok this is how I read the list after the trade period. Starting from the backs. Seems like definite improvement. Howard takes Browns spot. That is a clear improvement. Jones will occasionally play HB so that seems an improvement. Out side mids improve a lot. Hill replaces Newnes. Huge upgrade. Again Jones will have time on the wing. That helps. Starting middle loses big. Lost our best player. Will be relying on Clark stepping up. Jones seems like an outside runner to me but will again get time in the middle. Rucks really worries me. The less time Marshall rucks the more of a downgrade. Where we get a huge upgrade in 20 to 30 minutes a game when Ryder rucks instead of Bruce. Small forwards. Unlike some im neither here or there on Butler. Worked well in the best systems in the AFL but doesn't seem any better than what we have. Tall forwards. Yes we will now have 3 but to me this is a big downgrade. Forgetting King because we don't know, Ryder is a big downgrade on Bruce. I know I will be nearly on my own but ryder wrecks the balance of our side and caused us to part with Bruce.
Lastly the best 22 is better but not by a huge margin. We did what we had to do though and no complaints from me with the total drafting. Just don't expect some huge improvement unless and it a big unless Hanners. King and Billings go through the roof.

marcus1232

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
knoxfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing I’ve noticed is we didn’t really recruit for next year.

With Ryder we have just recruited for time to find a young competent backup for marshall

Howard we have recruited long term in mind

Zac Jones we have recruited long term

Butler is a trade that cost us nothing and is I believe an upgrade on lonie.

And hill will still be playing good footy at 31 years of age.

The other thing ive noticed is all of them bar Howard have proven they can play in the pressure cooker of finals football

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing I’ve noticed is we didn’t really recruit for next year.

Early on when older players like Ryder and Keath were being thrown up, I though oh no they are only looking at the next couple of years.

Fortunately what was delivered was all long-term apart from Ryder, and with only one ruck on our senior list the logic in gaining Ryder is sound (Plus being Hill's cousin, made Hill more likely).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok this is how I read the list after the trade period. Starting from the backs. Seems like definite improvement. Howard takes Browns spot. That is a clear improvement. Jones will occasionally play HB so that seems an improvement. Out side mids improve a lot. Hill replaces Newnes. Huge upgrade. Again Jones will have time on the wing. That helps. Starting middle loses big. Lost our best player. Will be relying on Clark stepping up. Jones seems like an outside runner to me but will again get time in the middle. Rucks really worries me. The less time Marshall rucks the more of a downgrade. Where we get a huge upgrade in 20 to 30 minutes a game when Ryder rucks instead of Bruce. Small forwards. Unlike some im neither here or there on Butler. Worked well in the best systems in the AFL but doesn't seem any better than what we have. Tall forwards. Yes we will now have 3 but to me this is a big downgrade. Forgetting King because we don't know, Ryder is a big downgrade on Bruce. I know I will be nearly on my own but ryder wrecks the balance of our side and caused us to part with Bruce.
Lastly the best 22 is better but not by a huge margin. We did what we had to do though and no complaints from me with the total drafting. Just don't expect some huge improvement unless and it a big unless Hanners. King and Billings go through the roof.
This is pretty much where I’m at.

If Ryder and Marshal play then I think it throws the balance out. Either we end up too tall, have one on the pine the whole time, or we have an average tall forward throughout the game.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Would be shocked if Young doesn’t find a way into ours or an SA footy department. Outstanding young man that is a natural developer and leader. Would be ideal for the indigenous & next gen development.
Obviously you mean in a few years. Unfortunately he lacked the ability to get enough of the ball to hurt sides

Compared to the start of the Season:

Steven replaced by Jones. I can't say i expect as much from Jones in the midfield as what i expected from Jack before his issues.
Brown replaced by Howard. Probably not a huge difference right away, but we are now set for the future in this role, and Howard has an upside.

At the start of 2019 we thought that Longer was probably our number one ruck with Pierce maybe backup, and the prospect and unknown prospect.
Now we have a duo of Ryder and Marshall its more a question of how we play them both. Tied in with the loss of a reliable 35 goal key forward , we need King or Marshall and a ruck/forward ( Ryder or Marshall ) to achieve an average of 3 or so goals per game between them.
King had no expectations last year, but looked like making the squad until injured. He will play this year. Whether he plays 22 is a different question.

I guess Butler is what we hoped Kent would be last season. Kent doesn't seem to be able to string together a season without injury. Maybe he's an improvement but it doesn't really change the structure of the side.

We liked seeing Hind hit the ball at speed and find the goals last season. I guess we can expect a lot more of this with Hill.
Will our midfield be good enough to get the ball to Hill?
Will there be room in the squad for Hind, with Hill there?

Young players coming in, we have King , now replacing Bruce. Huge expectations on this kid.
We have Bytel who was highly rated before getting injured in his draft year.

Can any of Phillips , Langlands, Paton, get good enough to make the 22?

What i really like about our side is the depth. There are only a handful of players on our list that make me shudder if they get a game.
I still remember back in 2012 or so, when only a handful of players outside the 22 didn't make me shudder.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Compared to the start of the Season:

Steven replaced by Jones. I can't say i expect as much from Jones in the midfield as what i expected from Jack before his issues.
Brown replaced by Howard. Probably not a huge difference right away, but we are now set for the future in this role, and Howard has an upside.

At the start of 2019 we thought that Longer was probably our number one ruck with Pierce maybe backup, and the prospect and unknown prospect.
Now we have a duo of Ryder and Marshall its more a question of how we play them both. Tied in with the loss of a reliable 35 goal key forward , we need King or Marshall and a ruck/forward ( Ryder or Marshall ) to achieve an average of 3 or so goals per game between them.
King had no expectations last year, but looked like making the squad until injured. He will play this year. Whether he plays 22 is a different question.

I guess Butler is what we hoped Kent would be last season. Kent doesn't seem to be able to string together a season without injury. Maybe he's an improvement but it doesn't really change the structure of the side.

We liked seeing Hind hit the ball at speed and find the goals last season. I guess we can expect a lot more of this with Hill.
Will our midfield be good enough to get the ball to Hill?
Will there be room in the squad for Hind, with Hill there?

Young players coming in, we have King , now replacing Bruce. Huge expectations on this kid.
We have Bytel who was highly rated before getting injured in his draft year.

Can any of Phillips , Langlands, Paton, get good enough to make the 22?

What i really like about our side is the depth. There are only a handful of players on our list that make me shudder if they get a game.
I still remember back in 2012 or so, when only a handful of players outside the 22 didn't make me shudder.
I always worry that is because there is no real elite players so the gap doesn’t look as big. Still reckon there is to many c grade players getting a game.

More likely overrating like acres. He looks like a perfect vfl player. Rats obviously thinks the same.
Probably but I thought he brought an extra edge of aggression to the back line.
An area we’re severely lacking across the board in my humble but learned opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back