Analysis What does our list look like now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Young and Rice gone as well.
Ricey was given a good crack in 2018 tries hard but not up to the level and Young was probably a punt that didn’t pay off.
Sad for the three but onwards and upwards.

Saints were $54 to win the premiership on the TAB four days ago, only Gold Coast was paying more at $101. Now we are at $26 with the Bombers and North. Crows have more than doubled at $51 as well as the purple scum now since all trades have been finalised. Means nothing but the TAB seem to think those trades have "significantly" ☺ made us a better side finishing from 6th to 14th in the logjam.

Last edited:
Great work on the age profiling! Good to see we’re now hitting a ‘sweet spot’.

My hopeful 2020 finals team would be:

Defenders:
Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Coffield

Midfielders
Hill - Hannebery - Jones
Marshall - Steele - Clark

Forwards
Gresham - Battle - Billings
Long - King - Membrey

Interchange
Dunstan - Ryder - Ross - Hind

Emergencies
Geary - Butler - Parker - Lonie - Sinclair - Joyce - Savage - Bytel

Unknown
McCartin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Defenders:

Midfielders
Hill - Hannebery - Jones

Forwards
Long - King - Membrey

Interchange

Emergencies

Unknown
McCartin

So going by your team selection with Geary only named as an emergency & Ross only starting from the pine, who do you see as Captain for 2020?

Defenders:

Midfielders
Hill - Hannebery - Jones

Forwards
Long - King - Membrey

Interchange

Emergencies

Unknown
McCartin

Kent?@

Not on the radar at the mo, would need to have quite the pre season. I thought he was quite average during the stretch of games he played last year and he got a very good crack at it in his ideal position. We’ve got better and younger players on our list ahead of him that play his spot

I want Gears to captain till someone steps up. Have a feeling, if King has a solid season, he might get the baton.
Lethlean said something about Geary captaining the team in finals i think.
Geary is rated a lot more highly in the club than a lot of people here do. Its obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compared to the start of the Season:

Steven replaced by Jones. I can't say i expect as much from Jones in the midfield as what i expected from Jack before his issues.
Brown replaced by Howard. Probably not a huge difference right away, but we are now set for the future in this role, and Howard has an upside.

At the start of 2019 we thought that Longer was probably our number one ruck with Pierce maybe backup, and the prospect and unknown prospect.
Now we have a duo of Ryder and Marshall its more a question of how we play them both. Tied in with the loss of a reliable 35 goal key forward , we need King or Marshall and a ruck/forward ( Ryder or Marshall ) to achieve an average of 3 or so goals per game between them.
King had no expectations last year, but looked like making the squad until injured. He will play this year. Whether he plays 22 is a different question.

I guess Butler is what we hoped Kent would be last season. Kent doesn't seem to be able to string together a season without injury. Maybe he's an improvement but it doesn't really change the structure of the side.

We liked seeing Hind hit the ball at speed and find the goals last season. I guess we can expect a lot more of this with Hill.
Will our midfield be good enough to get the ball to Hill?
Will there be room in the squad for Hind, with Hill there?

Young players coming in, we have King , now replacing Bruce. Huge expectations on this kid.
We have Bytel who was highly rated before getting injured in his draft year.

Can any of Phillips , Langlands, Paton, get good enough to make the 22?

What i really like about our side is the depth. There are only a handful of players on our list that make me shudder if they get a game.
I still remember back in 2012 or so, when only a handful of players outside the 22 didn't make me shudder.
There were only a handful of players in the 22 that didn't make me shudder through the last few years...

Where does battle fit?

Upfront you have Ryder, King and Membrey.

Down back Howard, Carlisle, Wilkie/Roberton.
He fits dont worry about that , Robbo no cert to play , Jake , well he better lift his game or he can go to Sandy and Ryder cant just be a automatic selection

The other thing that could happen is that having two rucks might actually help our side. Crazy idea I know.
Ok let’s play this game. Marshall is maybe the most promising ruck in the afl. As a forward we have no idea yet. Ryder as a forward is at best average. If Marshall rucks less we have a lower quality ruckman replacing him. That to me makes us worse. If he rucks the same as he does now we have a lower quality forward in the forward line for around 100 minutes. We will be better for 20 minutes but worse for 100. The only way this works is if Marshall becomes a star forward. Even then we are worse in the ruck.

Ok let’s play this game. Marshall is maybe the most promising ruck in the afl. As a forward we have no idea yet. Ryder as a forward is at best average. If Marshall rucks less we have a lower quality ruckman replacing him. That to me makes us worse. If he rucks the same as he does now we have a lower quality forward in the forward line for around 100 minutes. We will be better for 20 minutes but worse for 100. The only way this works is if Marshall becomes a star forward. Even then we are worse in the ruck.
Marshall is a gun footballer. Maybe we think he can be better utilised than getting banged up in the ruck all day. He is young. He needs protection. You always go on about how experts know more than us... well our coaches are making this call and I'd say they're experts, at least I bloody well hope they are.

Marshall is a gun footballer. Maybe we think he can be better utilised than getting banged up in the ruck all day. He is young. He needs protection. You always go on about how experts know more than us... well our coaches are making this call and I'd say they're experts, at least I bloody well hope they are.
Grundy seems ok in the role. No protecting him.

Marshall showed his best position is our ruckman , Ryder was tried as a forward and as you say was average at best , however now we have a backup for Marshall and I would expect he will only be used when needed and knowing he is going on 32 he will only be used sparingly and could be used when playing a team with 2 ruckman.

Marshall showed his best position is our ruckman , Ryder was tried as a forward and as you say was average at best , however now we have a backup for Marshall and I would expect he will only be used when needed and knowing he is going on 32 he will only be used sparingly and could be used when playing a team with 2 ruckman.
Hope you are right but from the interview I heard with him he sounded like he expects to be a regular

Remove this Banner Ad

Back