Analysis What does our list look like now!

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok let’s play this game. Marshall is maybe the most promising ruck in the afl. As a forward we have no idea yet. Ryder as a forward is at best average. If Marshall rucks less we have a lower quality ruckman replacing him. That to me makes us worse. If he rucks the same as he does now we have a lower quality forward in the forward line for around 100 minutes. We will be better for 20 minutes but worse for 100. The only way this works is if Marshall becomes a star forward. Even then we are worse in the ruck.
What about Marshall rucking forward half 100% rather than centre square back for 80%?

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok let’s play this game. Marshall is maybe the most promising ruck in the afl. As a forward we have no idea yet. Ryder as a forward is at best average. If Marshall rucks less we have a lower quality ruckman replacing him. That to me makes us worse. If he rucks the same as he does now we have a lower quality forward in the forward line for around 100 minutes. We will be better for 20 minutes but worse for 100. The only way this works is if Marshall becomes a star forward. Even then we are worse in the ruck.

Lower quality is a stetch. Ryder was AA ruckman two years ago. Ryder will probably have it over Marshall for pure rucking although Marshall would beat him around the ground easily as well as acting as another mid.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
What about Marshall rucking forward half 100% rather than centre square back for 80%?

To me it makes sense that Marshall moves to CHF and rucks that part of the ground as well. No doubt Ryder will swap to give each other a chop out. Really depends if Marshall can develop at a minimum to a 1.5 goal a game forward. If he doesn't take to it, then Marshall will be rucking with Ryder used probably just to bring the ball to ground if he can't mark it up forward.

Marshall is a gun footballer. Maybe we think he can be better utilised than getting banged up in the ruck all day. He is young. He needs protection. You always go on about how experts know more than us... well our coaches are making this call and I'd say they're experts, at least I bloody well hope they are.

Then we'll wait and see how they play them both. It may not be the way you expect.

And rucks are a lot more protected than they used to be.
And....who is going to protect the other rucks against ROMA.!!!!

Port needed Ryder forward as Lycett isn't much of a forward. The reverse may be true at St Kilda.

In the ruck Marshall became one of the highest clearance players in the AFL.
Ryder won't.
We'll be lucky if the ball finds the forward line without Marshall.

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Marshall is one of the most promising young ruck men because he thinks and acts like a mid and follows his own or oppositions tap work. His actual ruck work is average at best Ryder can help to develop him here and alternate.
Marshall’s forward work looks ok from the small sample size we have but in order to develop this he needs more time in that space. If he is to develop another string to his bow this is it and we need more than one damaging forward.
Ryder is a very good tap ruckman 2017 AA. He can go forward but playing there full time is not his go. He’s needed to be one of our rucks and help Marshall progress and provide a physical presence in the forward line to help M King.
It’ll be interesting to see how Ryder compliments our mid structure.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hope you are right but from the interview I heard with him he sounded like he expects to be a regular
I know one thing he might be a good ruckman but going on 32 I wouldn't be expecting to much from him ,we need to find another ruckman from somewhere.
I heard someone saying Alabakis is heading in the right direction well he better be because if Marshall breaks down he could end up being our only option.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I know one thing he might be a good ruckman but going on 32 I wouldn't be expecting to much from him ,we need to find another ruckman from somewhere.
I heard someone saying Alabakis is heading in the right direction well he better be because if Marshall breaks down he could end up being our only option.
Alabakis might be heading in he right direction but he is walking They will surely take another ruck. They need one for sandy for a start.

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Apparently our list looks like this, the face of every player mashed together

jpKPim9.png

Gears and Jake both triggered new contracts for next year.
Does anyone know how long these contracts are for? One year?
Gears must surely be in his last one or two years and Jake a possible trade target end of next season, I would imagine.
Should free up a decent amount of cap space to go towards a FA.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC
Ryder wasn’t even first ruck at port this year.
Lycett got dropped and they paid him like a top ruck in the league too so I wouldn’t read into anything Port do with their players at the moment, not even sure they know what they are doing

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gears and Jake both triggered new contracts for next year.
Does anyone know how long these contracts are for? One year?
Gears must surely be in his last one or two years and Jake a possible trade target end of next season, I would imagine.
Should free up a decent amount of cap space to go towards a FA.
Both are one year deals.

Back