Analysis What does our list look like now!

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Ok let’s play this game. Marshall is maybe the most promising ruck in the afl. As a forward we have no idea yet. Ryder as a forward is at best average. If Marshall rucks less we have a lower quality ruckman replacing him. That to me makes us worse. If he rucks the same as he does now we have a lower quality forward in the forward line for around 100 minutes. We will be better for 20 minutes but worse for 100. The only way this works is if Marshall becomes a star forward. Even then we are worse in the ruck.

I’m backing Roma to become a bonafide ruck/forward who can kick a couple of snags each week when he rests forward.

Paddy is a better tap ruckman than Roma. He’s not as good when the ball hits the ground as Roma is outstanding in this regard but Paddy is an old experienced campaigner that can use his body to help the midfielders out. Whether that equals being worse in the ruck is up for debate.

The most important thing to remember is that smarter footy people than you & I think it’ll work .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenny2020

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the coaches think Marshall can go forward then I’m all for it. He might be just as good but I’ll reserve judgment. Then, if the plan doesn’t work and he can’t kick goals, we put him back in the ruck. I just hope they don’t persist with it if it’s not working.

I’m backing Roma to become a bonafide ruck/forward who can kick a couple of snags each week when he rests forward.

Paddy is a better tap ruckman than Roma. He’s not as good when the ball hits the ground as Roma is outstanding in this regard but Paddy is an old experienced campaigner that can use his body to help the midfielders out. Whether that equals being worse in the ruck is up for debate.

The most important thing to remember is that smarter footy people than you & I think it’ll work .

Roma hardly ever taps the ball to the advantage of his team mates.
That's because he's usually grabbed it himself and sent it to our forward line.

( ahhh where would the pre-season be without our ruckmen debate - got to say this one beats the hell out of Longer vs Pierce ).

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

They thought paddy was pick one. They thought many players drafted or traded for a good enough. If we all think that then no point in talking after a side is selected. If Marshall kicks 44 goals as a ruck forward he could be the best ever. He might kick 44 if he plays 80% forward but then we lose one of the best rucks in the afl for a player clearly past his best.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Personally think, if we want to talk development giving Marshall the opportunity to play around 50% forward to developing his forward craft will be awesome for him as well as having a chop out from an experienced ruck in Ryder who is also good around the ground and can play forward.
Might be good for him. I’m more into good for the team.

Happy to try the two rucks but all I want is for them to acknowledge if it’s not working and not simply play Paddy in the seniors just because we got him.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Might be good for him. I’m more into good for the team.
There is only one way we will find out if it will be good for the team.. I think it can be though. between Ryder and Roma they would need to avg 2.4 goals to score as much as Bruce and Roma so hopefully they can do that. The ruck combo should be one of the best in the leagues, which will help our mids

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
There is only one way we will find out if it will be good for the team.. I think it can be though. between Ryder and Roma they would need to avg 2.4 goals to score as much as Bruce and Roma so hopefully they can do that. The ruck combo should be one of the best in the leagues, which will help our mids
They might need that much to be as good as Bruce and Marshall but that doesn’t take into account the rucking position. They probably need 70 between them to account for being worse around the ground with Marshall rucking less.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
They might need that much to be as good as Bruce and Marshall but that doesn’t take into account the rucking position. They probably need 70 between them to account for being worse around the ground with Marshall rucking less.
Ryder is a much more accomplished ruckman and will teach Roma plenty!
I'm still expecting Marshall to take the bulk of the load in the ruck, but they obviously have plans for him forward as well
He may well surprise you what he is capable of there as well. The lad will be a weapon for us wherever we put him!
Least when he does need a chop out Ryder is a major upgrade on what we have dished up previously!

And either Ryder or Marshall forward at times will also cause plenty of headaches for the opposition!
I like the new set up for us in the Ruck/Fwd stocks....Will make us a lot less predictable and also means
That we will have quality in the Ruck for 100% of the time!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Ryder is a much more accomplished ruckman and will teach Roma plenty!
I'm still expecting Marshall to take the bulk of the load in the ruck, but they obviously have plans for him forward as well
He may well surprise you what he is capable of there as well. The lad will be a weapon for us wherever we put him!
Least when he does need a chop out Ryder is a major upgrade on what we have dished up previously!

And either Ryder or Marshall forward at times will also cause plenty of headaches for the opposition!
I like the new set up for us in the Ruck/Fwd stocks....Will make us a lot less predictable and also means
That we will have quality in the Ruck for 100% of the time!
Don’t we have ruck coaches? Did longer teach Marshall plenty. He was also a better hitter of the ball than Marshall. Unfortunately I rate that up there with eating kidneys. No doubt Ryder is an upgrade in the ruck than Bruce but he he is forward downgrade and that will be for maybe 80% of the game. Anyway we will see. Still think him playing completely unbalances the side and more importantly meant we had no interest in keeping bruce Will is a big loss

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
If Marshall kicked 8 goals last year and his time forward is multipled by a factor of 10 next year he should be on track for 80 goals
No worries. I played 2 minutes in the juniors one year and kicked a goal the hurt myself. Based on 14 games and an hour a game if I played all year I would have kicked 420 goals. I was unlucky.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don’t we have ruck coaches? Did longer teach Marshall plenty. He was also a better hitter of the ball than Marshall. Unfortunately I rate that up there with eating kidneys. No doubt Ryder is an upgrade in the ruck than Bruce but he he is forward downgrade and that will be for maybe 80% of the game. Anyway we will see. Still think him playing completely unbalances the side and more importantly meant we had no interest in keeping bruce Will is a big loss
Having someone the quality of Ryder for Marshall to compete against every training session will do wonders for his development. It's hard to improve your tap work if there is no one else trying to tap the ball.

Last season all Marshall had to compete and test himself against was air.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Having someone the quality of Ryder for Marshall to compete against every training session will do wonders for his development. It's hard to improve your tap work if there is no one else trying to tap the ball.

Last season all Marshall had to compete and test himself against was air.
So we got him for that? We got him to play Teaching is by product. And I give you the tip they don’t go against each other at practice like they do in a game.

There are not many players who get 2 goals a game nowdays.
Membrey did, and we hope he will again next year.

Last season it was
Membrey 2.
Bruce 1.6
maybe 3 or 4 smalls kicking a goal a game ish.
Marshall had 8 goals for the Season.

I'd hope that we can play Jones and Clark midfield and give Gresham ( who kicked 15 as a mid ) more forward time.

So i could conservatively ( not putting King down for 80 goals ) see a season total something like:

Membrey 40ish.
Ryder/Marshall 30 ish. ( most by the forward, but Roma kicked 8 years while playing on-ball this year ).
King/Battle 25ish.
Gresham 30ish.
Butler 25ish.
3rd small ( Lonie, Kent, Parker, Long ) 20 ish.

-----------------
That's more than what our forwards kicked last season.

But we lose Gresham as a goal kicking mid.

Last season Gresham kicked 15 , our leading mid.
Billings kicked 13.
Hind 11

None of the other mids got more than 6.
Acres kicked 6
Steven kicked 5

Hannebery seems to be able to find the goals .
Hill used to find the goals a bit when he was at the Hawks.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
No worries. I played 2 minutes in the juniors one year and kicked a goal the hurt myself. Based on 14 games and an hour a game if I played all year I would have kicked 420 goals. I was unlucky.

So you too had Richo as your coach too and played you out of position most games. Another star player's career curtailed by the magnet being on the wrong spot on the board.

BarkerFan

Team Captain
Nov 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The question that determines how we go in the next 2-3 years is how far our young midfielders step up to... Any kid we draft next year wont be ready until 2025 or so... So we are relying a lot IMO on Clark, Bytel and Gresham to step up into the midfield big time.. with the possibility of getting a free agent such as Crouch the only other option..

I actually am bullish on all 3 of Clark Bytel and Gresham (if he gets the work done).... but how high they go, I dont know

maanco

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
The biggest challenge for mine is the back up ruck position, given that our usual back-ups Acres and Bruce are now gone.

Yes, Ryder could fill that role however, we need to ensure team balance for talls and smalls.
Especially considering we have so many tall's that could get regular games at other AFL clubs (listed below).

Key Defender3rd DefenderSwing-man (Forward/ Defender)Tall Forward3rd ForwardRuck/Forward
HowardWilkeCarlisleM KingMembreyMarshall
BrownRoberton BattleRyder

Best 22 Talls:

xxxx Howard Wilke
xxxx Carlisle Roberton
xxxx xxxx xxxx
xxxx Battle Membrey
xxxx King xxxx

Marshall xxxx xxxx

xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Its probably out of Ryder/King to be honest unless:
  • Decide to play Ryder off the Bench at the expense of a midfielder, with Battle playing stints on the wing.
  • Carlisle/Howard play relief ruck
  • Wilke Ruck Relief
  • Parker Plays and pinch hits in the ruck Acres/ Grigg style.
My preference from the above options would probably be Parker having stints in the midfield. If he is upto it. Difficult Decisions for Ratts.

maanco

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Goal Kickers at St Kilda 2020
PlayerTotal GamesTotal GoalsGoals Per Game
Max King00Undefined
Tim Membrey921691.84
Dan Butler45531.18
Josh Battle
(19 games as a key defender with 3 goals)
26 (7 games forward)11 (8 goals forward)0.42 (1.14 as a forward)
Jade Gresham81911.12
Nick Hind11111.00
Dean Kent76750.99
Matthew Parker17160.94
Jack Lonie63570.90
Jack Billings107770.72
Paddy Ryder2431710.70
Ben Long30210.70
Brad Hill149790.53
Jack Sinclair86400.47
Dan Hannebery213980.46
Jake Carlisle134610.46
Luke Dunstan103450.44
Rowan Marshall33140.42

Last edited:

maanco

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not quite sure if Bruce is much of a loss.
  1. Tim Membrey 44 goals in 2019. He also kicked 44 in 2016. Not bad for a 188cm Key forward.
  2. Josh Battle Will likely play forawrd in the bruce role - Was a gun forward all through his juniors and averaged 1.2 goals a game in his first 7 games. Playing as the 3rd tall who typically played up the ground in a s**t side. His Mentor is Matthew Lloyd.
  3. Then we have Gresham who kicked 30 and 35 in 2017/18 at age 19/20.
  4. Then our new forward ruck in Ryder 27 goals in 2011 and 15 goals from 17 games in 2019.
  5. New Small Forward Dan butler kicked 30 goals in 2017. who is competing with 5 other decent Small forwards. for 2- 3 positions.
  6. Ben King kicked 17 goals from 14 games Assuming his brother Max is on par, that's not too bad.

Back