Analysis What does our list look like now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not quite sure if Bruce is much of a loss.
  1. Tim Membrey 44 goals in 2019. He also kicked 44 in 2016. Not bad for a 188cm Key forward.
  2. Josh Battle Will likely play forawrd in the bruce role - Was a gun forward all through his juniors and averaged 1.2 goals a game in his first 7 games. Playing as the 3rd tall who typically played up the ground in a s**t side. His Mentor is Matthew Lloyd.
  3. Then we have Gresham who kicked 30 and 35 in 2017/18 at age 19/20.
  4. Then our new forward ruck in Ryder 27 goals in 2011 and 15 goals from 17 games in 2019.
  5. New Small Forward Dan butler kicked 30 goals in 2017. who is competing with 5 other decent Small forwards. for 2- 3 positions.
  6. Ben King kicked 17 goals from 14 games Assuming his brother Max is on par, that's not too bad.

Just don't expect Ryder to start kicking goals like he's in his 20's again.

Great work on the age profiling! Good to see we’re now hitting a ‘sweet spot’.

My hopeful 2020 finals team would be:

Defenders:
Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Coffield

Midfielders
Hill - Hannebery - Jones
Marshall - Steele - Clark

Forwards
Gresham - Battle - Billings
Long - King - Membrey

Interchange
Dunstan - Ryder - Ross - Hind

Emergencies
Geary - Butler - Parker - Lonie - Sinclair - Joyce - Savage - Bytel

Unknown
McCartin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's sad to see how underrated savage is even among our own club

With the departure of Armo and Jack, here's the last 10 or so years along with first years for current players on the list:

2008: Geary
2009:
2010:
2011:
2012: Ross, Webster
2013: Roberton
2014: Billings, Dunstan, Savage
2015: Lonie, McKenzie, Membrey
2016: Carlisle, Gresham, Sinclair
2017: Battle, Brown, Joyce, Long, Marshall, Phillips, Steele
2018: Austin, Coffield, Clark, Clavarino, Langlands, Paton
2019: Alabakis, Bytel, Hannebery, Hind, Kent, King, Marsh, Mayo, Parker, Wilkie
2020: Butler, Hill, Howard, Jones, Ryder

Interesting that 28 of the current 41 were added to the list in the last four draft seasons - only 13 remain who were on the list this time three years ago. Sounds a lot like a rebuild.

And these are those still playing at other clubs, along with when we first had them on our list:

2008: McEvoy, Steven
2009: Lynch, Stanley
2010: Hutchings
2011: Cripps
2012: Newnes
2013: Hickey
2014: Acres, Bruce
2015: Goddard
2016:
2017:
2018:
2019:

Fascinating to see that from 2008 - 2015 there are 10 players left on our list, but 11 players left on the lists of other sides! Partly I suppose that's because of our rebuild, but partly also because we never got the best out of any of those players (except Steven and Bruce).

With the departure of Armo and Jack, here's the last 10 or so years along with first years for current players on the list:

2009:
2010:
2011:

Interesting that 28 of the current 41 were added to the list in the last four draft seasons - only 13 remain who were on the list this time three years ago. Sounds a lot like a rebuild.

And these are those still playing at other clubs, along with when we first had them on our list:

2016:
2017:
2018:
2019:

Fascinating to see that from 2008 - 2015 there are 10 players left on our list, but 11 players left on the lists of other sides! Partly I suppose that's because of our rebuild, but partly also because we never got the best out of any of those players (except Steven and Bruce).
Great post. There are still halfwits on here who blame John Peake for the state of the list. The facts are, as always offensive to the ignorant. Btw, Geary was a Peake selection.

2009:
2010:
2011:

2016:
2017:
2018:
2019:

Out of the 13 who were added before 2017, only one could be classed as a "list clogger": Daniel McKenzie. So the rebuild is progressing and we've cleared out pretty much all of the dead wood.

On the other side of the ledger...

McEvoy - improved on a new team, felt like value at the time
Steven - MH
Lynch - the biggest mistake of the Lyon era was not playing him more, but if Lynch had stayed we wouldn't have needed Membrey
Stanley - again seemed like value at the time
Hutchings - was on the rookie list for one year
Cripps - he screwed us over
Newnes - 150 odd games from a pick 37, we got value
Hickey - was getting pushed out, we got value
Acres - Never took the next step, and we needed to get the Hill trade done
Bruce - I support not giving him another contract post-2020 at this stage. As much as I love his effort, he's pretty symbolic of the Richo era: plenty of effort, but little class.
Goddard - ruined by injury

Out of the 13 who were added before 2017, only one could be classed as a "list clogger": Daniel McKenzie. So the rebuild is progressing and we've cleared out pretty much all of the dead wood.

Hm, maybe. Most of the whipping boy candidates are on that list. This time last year Newnes didn't look like a list clogger, but by the end of the year he certainly did.

Glass half-empty view:

Geary - captain but clearly a limited player and has his detractors.
Ross - captain in waiting but not quite as good as everyone wants him to be.
Webster - chequered injury history and plays a position where there's a lot of competition.
Roberton - good player but who knows what happens with his heart.
Billings - good player.
Dunstan - written off a few times but keeps bouncing back, others might pass him pretty easily.
Savage - not in many fan best 22s.
Lonie - limited upside and we have a lot of small forwards.
McKenzie - finished the season in the twos and the trades might see him stay there.
Membrey - good player.
Carlisle - good player if he gets back to 100% from the back op.
Gresham - good player.
Sinclair - possession average is dropping, not sure what his position is.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those were in the gun this time next year (contract status aside): Sinclair, McKenzie, Lonie, Savage, Dunstan.

Ryder is a much more accomplished ruckman and will teach Roma plenty!
I'm still expecting Marshall to take the bulk of the load in the ruck, but they obviously have plans for him forward as well
He may well surprise you what he is capable of there as well. The lad will be a weapon for us wherever we put him!
Least when he does need a chop out Ryder is a major upgrade on what we have dished up previously!
I’m gonna miss Brooce and Blacres getting massacred in the ruck whenever RoMa (or our oddball crew of recent ruckmen) took a spell, in effect it was like we were suddenly kicking into a five goal breeze...

2009:
2010:
2011:

2016:
2017:
2018:
2019:

I reckon we could easily cull 20 players by the end of next season from that list too. Our list still looks pretty average when you see it all in one place.

Great post. There are still halfwits on here who blame John Peake for the state of the list. The facts are, as always offensive to the ignorant. Btw, Geary was a Peake selection.

Trout was either ridiculously unlucky or not very good at drafting.

It's sad to see how underrated savage is even among our own club
Was fantastic this season and its very likely that he starts in 2020 but as my post states, i hope that coffield is able to pass him come finals time. I do rate webster ahead of him due to superior kicking and 1v1 ability. Id have him on the bench but would prefer hind

Trout was either ridiculously unlucky or not very good at drafting.
Most definitely the latter. He was the first one moved on by Satan. There was a good reason for that. He was the most useless individual I dealt with in my time in the AFL. And that's a big call, I know. With the benefit of hindsight, we can see how much better Libba and gags are at the same gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most definitely the latter. He was the first one moved on by Satan. There was a good reason for that. He was the most useless individual I dealt with in my time in the AFL. And that's a big call, I know. With the benefit of hindsight, we can see how much better Libba and gags are at the same gig.
Nice.

He was tripe no doubt!
But even worse than Archie Fraser Drake?
That is a mighty low barometer to use, but if the Trout turd is even smellier than a man that made me turn on even Archie comics
Then we are talking so low, it makes me wanna limbo!

Last edited:
He was tripe no doubt!
But even worse that Archie Fraser Drake?
That is a mighty low barometer to use, but if the Trout turd is even smellier than a man that made me turn on even Archie comics
Then we are talking so low, it makes me wanna limbo!
Agreed, MM. Archie was scraping the bottom of the barrel. Ask the female employees he bullied and sexually harrassed. Sold us to Seaford as well. Halfwit. When I think of him, Nettlefool, Pelican and Trout, no wonder we dived. Look at the quality of the admin. Now. Satan, Gubby, Gags, Libba, DOS, Roughy. Reasons to be cheerful. I'll invoke Yabby again.
"Clubs with s**t administrations don't win flags, laddie."

Agreed if he could hit up bullet 40 metre passes he would be much more highly rated...
Or if he could add just a tad of physicality to his game then he would become......

Dare i say it......Macho Man Savage! Ohhh Yeah!

So the AFL is showing Paddy as delisted, and the Saints website shows Daragh Joyce as being on the senior list. Assuming Daragh gets upgraded this year while Wilkie spends another year on the rookie list and we take 2 at the draft.

1574004684996.png

Yeah obviously our forward line will be different next season, but the thing is that it's not just Bruce out from there and a King/Ryder in, it's Bruce AND Acres out, and say King and Ryder in.

And while Bruce kicked 36 goals from his 22 games, Acres (who effectively played that 3rd-tall marking and/or forward/ruck role a lot in the last two seasons) kicked just 6 goals, from his 19 games (playing mostly forward).

So between the two of them, they kicked 42 goals, from 41 games. So a goal a game.

Ryder this season (despite still doing so much rucking that he got 381 hitouts), kicked 15 goals from his 17 games- so almost a goal a game- and I don't imagine it will be any great stretch for King to average a goal a game (especially given what we saw by the supposedly inferior Ben this year), so while Bruce's goals will be missed, a lot of that will hopefully be cancelled out by how many more goals we'll get from the likes of King/Ryder/Marshall/Battle, compared to the 0.3 per game we got from Acres this year.
Just wanted to post this piece by ARR, which i think is spot on. And i hadn't thought about.

It's been bugging me that I don't know this but what is does GOP stand for?

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good ordinary player.

Example of GOP. Brett Voss.

Its often used in a derogatory fashion, but shouldn't be.
Most of the lists are not stars.

Great work on the age profiling! Good to see we’re now hitting a ‘sweet spot’.

My hopeful 2020 finals team would be:

Defenders:
Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Coffield

Midfielders
Hill - Hannebery - Jones
Marshall - Steele - Clark

Forwards
Gresham - Battle - Billings
Long - King - Membrey

Interchange
Dunstan - Ryder - Ross - Hind

Emergencies
Geary - Butler - Parker - Lonie - Sinclair - Joyce - Savage - Bytel

Unknown
McCartin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would very much doubt we would be playing finals next year and dont get sucked in by the old age profile thing , it has some merit but just getting to the right age and games played doesn't mean sh1t if you dont have the talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back