Roast What does this club stand for?

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
All week, we've heard Woosha and Heppell say that we do not stand for last week's performance. Woosha and our leadership group questioned the whole playing group to ask what we stand for as a team. Fast forward to the second quarter of the following game and we're getting thrashed by a team who barely beat the supposed "worst team in the competition". So I ask you the question bigfooty. What do we stand for?

I think we're that partner who keeps messing around telling you they will change but never do.
All off-season, the players and coaches have been telling us that they've prepared well to avoid starting like we did last year. They've branded the year as "no excuses".
Let's see how that went.

Here are some of the quotes coming from the club in the past 4 months:

Skipworth before JLT
“We take every game seriously,” Skipworth told RSN 927.
“We want to get our game plan rolling and our guys in form early … We know we don’t have that third game (of pre-season anymore).”
You mean we've finally learned from our mistakes?
[IMG='width:380px;']https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ReflectingVictoriousGermanpinscher-small.gif[/IMG]

Ben Rutten on our website before JLT:
Essendon performance coach Ben Rutten says the team’s new defensive tactics will not inhibit the side’s natural flair.
Oh no way. Wow. Defensive and offensive at the same time? Is this even Essendon?
[IMG='width:373px;']https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/mobile/000/023/180/notsurprisedkirk.jpg[/IMG]

After JLT loss vs Geelong
Zach Merrett:
“That’s what JLT games are for, to learn as much as you can against opposition,” Merrett said post-match.

“I thought we played most of the game the way we wanted to play, but obviously you want to win as well.

“I didn’t really look at the scoreboard much throughout the night to be absolutely honest, it was more about playing the way we want to play and building towards round one.

“The scoreboard’s pretty irrelevant.”
But didn't your m8 Skipworth say that we take every game seriously? Ah. You're holding your cards close to your chest. Smart.
[IMG='width:359px;']https://media.giphy.com/media/d3mlE7uhX8KFgEmY/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Xavier Campbell in the lead up to the season (after the two JLT losses):
“Our supporter base wants to see improvement, they want to see consistency and they want to see a team that competes hard for four quarters every week in an increasingly competitive competition,” Campbell said on SEN on Tuesday.

“We’ve got a competition that is more even than it’s ever been and it’s a good thing, we want to see that.

“We’ve got great talent on our list, and we’ve spoken about that on a number of occasions, with good coaching staff.

“They want to see improvement year on year and I think they’ll see that.”
[IMG='width:406px;']https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LikelyThirstyCutworm-max-1mb.gif[/IMG]

Heppell in the lead up to the season opener:
Captain Dyson Heppell says fans should expect a more vicious Essendon outfit in round one as the side looks to recapture its ‘identity’ from the second half of the 2018 season.
[IMG='width:410px;']https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oKIPbNb1vWdftiVLq/giphy.gif[/IMG]
“Coming off the back of last year our real identity was our heat, our pressure and intensity around the ball, we really found that in the back half of the year,” Heppell said on SEN on Tuesday.

“In those first couple of (pre-season) games we really didn’t bring that to the table.

“We know we can do it and we know how damaging it can be when we bring it, so it’s just a matter of everyone buying into that and putting it on the park.”
So did everyone buy into it? After all, JLT is about learning from your opposition right? I'm pumped now! Let's go!

GWS 16.16 - 112
ESS 5.10 - 40

giphy.gif

John Worsfold:

"You don't expect to step out like that in round one and be so far off the mark, so we were very disappointed by that,"
I know right?

tenor.gif

“I’m really proud of the young group we’ve got in our leadership group, they’re all going to be outstanding leaders at this footy club,” Worsfold said on Tuesday.

“They set a great example in terms of work ethic and what we want to stand for.

“Some individuals had average games on the weekend, but leadership is not just around having a great game and being the best player every week.
Please tell me what it's about.

“They definitely learnt some lessons around that on the weekend.

“It’s how they respond, what they do during the week, how they get around their teammates, how they lead the way in terms of the response (that) is a big part of it.”

"I don't think we started favourites, so we lost a game that most people didn't expect us to win.
Oh so it's about how you respond. Okay. After all, we do start favourites this time around right?
Let's see how you as a leader respond Woosha.

In: Parish
Out: Ridley

giphy.gif

I wonder how proud you were of Ridley. Wait hang on. I think Woosha will tell us why Ridley was dropped.

“(I expect him to respond) exactly like what I spoke about with Darcy Parish last week, just understand it’s about the team, it’s about what the team needs for this week, and continue to build on his game.
“He’s been so diligent, he’s had a great pre-season and he’s ready for a really strong year.
“He’s not out of the side for any other reason than getting our best line-up for this week.”
How was our best line-up?
[IMG='width:413px;']https://media.giphy.com/media/8hSPD2Yn4PuUM/giphy.gif[/IMG]

This is a direct quote from the article on our website after losing to St Kilda:
For the second consecutive season, Essendon finds itself with its backs against the wall.

But after a heavy defeat to Greater Western Sydney in round one and a narrow loss to St Kilda on Saturday, senior coach John Worsfold is backing his side to respond.

They've got a lot of character, this group, and I believe they're going to take on the challenge of fighting through it," Worsfold said in the aftermath of the match.

"They responded pretty well tonight off last week's disappointment around the contest.

giphy.gif

Sorry. Continue Woosha. That was rude of me.
(We have to) believe in what we're trying to do and keep challenging ourselves to get better."

"We asked the players to back themselves in today. They really played a bit inhibited last week and it was frustrating for parts of that, but I was pleased they were still backing themselves in," Worsfold said.

"Coming off last week's game, there's no doubt they had heightened nervousness maybe, and maybe a lack of confidence, but they really tried to take the game on and made some brave decisions.

[IMG='width:377px;']https://media3.giphy.com/media/l0Ex7a4XoPyebQmKQ/giphy.gif[/IMG]

I could keep going on and on about it, but the point is very clear. This club needs an investigation.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Too many players have coasted through their careers at the club on the back of just 1-2 good seasons. The club hasn't had the spine to make any hard decisions in regards to list management either and so mediocrity is the norm. I really don't believe this group can take us to premiership glory. We need to be un-Essendoned much like how Paul Roos un-Melbourned Melbourne.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Based on my quotes, it's clear that the club believed in the hype.

I don't think they know what working for success really means. They think talent alone gets you there.
Who holds them accountable anyway?

It's a mismanagement of talent based on a culture of coasting and mediocrity. Players like Walla, Fantasia and Merrett rarely had bad games because they worked hard to make it. They were all outsiders. We hardly see the desperation we were used to seeing every week because they've "made it". Why earn your money when you're given it? Leadership goes beyond the leadership group.

We continuously sweep mediocre performances (win or lose) against bottom sides under the carpet because of our stellar wins against the top sides. Always some excuse attached to it. "It's JLT" or "it's just round 2" or "it's the loss we had to have". This actually further increases the delusion that we can get away with it. We brush 3-4 goal wins against wooden spooners (if we even win) because "it's better than losing". As if percentage isn't a factor.

This club is truly stuffed at the moment.

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
You want to know what the club stands for, just pick your favourite synonym.

adj.not done well or skillfully
Synonyms for unprofessional

ignorant
improper
incompetent
inefficient
lax
negligent
unethical
amateur
amateurish
inadequate
inexperienced
inexpert
nonexpert
unfitting
unsuitable
untrained
unworthy

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
When our club ever uses the word integrity we should raise eyebrows. Why? Because integrity is defined by deeds done without need for words. When we sugarcoat everything we do, attempt to justify ineptitude, use corporate speak to enhance image, leak club info to pre-empt media speculation, downplay every injury, spruik corporate achievements more than address football aspirations, and talk up season’s prospects prior to actually ever having achieved anything onfield with this current group then, I’m sorry, there is very little ******* integrity to cling on to. Just focus on the football for the rest of the year. Give the marketing team the rest of the year off. Just give us training vids, post game interviews, and occasional updates via e-mail on club initiatives. I don’t care about anything but the football played. If they want to stand for something they should stand for ‘action above all else’. If the club wishes to tell us something tell it to us straight. Roll up your sleeves, be honest, and don’t mollycoddle players, supporters, or the media scum.

Thebisc

Senior List
Jun 13, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
As a club we have been a long way off the pace for at least 15 years. We hung on to sheeds for at least 5 years too long because our boards and directors have been unable to make tough calls. It’s always been the easy option. The saga would have been tough for any board I’ll admit that but we tried to work our way through with favourite sons. Maybe our boards have been to emotional(much like a standard supporter) and just haven’t made good football decisions. It all filters down and we just look like a soft club. There are guys who have played 100 games for Essendon that wouldn’t have got to 20 at other clubs because we don’t make tough calls on guys who might be half decent blokes.
I don’t know what we stand for because we’re simply to nice. Nice ain’t going to cut it in modern professional sport...
Sigh...

* it

just go pull pokies for revenue

that way we can be s**t blokes on and off the field.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Ill have a crack at what could be used for a charter

1) Reward mediocrity. Get to 50 games and we'll let you coast to 250 if your body stands up.
2) Getting to 50 will be made hard. You will be dropped. Even when you're good and those with far more games are bad. You will be dropped
3) the plan is: Hire new coach. Make finals. Lose badly. Repeat every 3-4 years.
4) Effort is optional. In fact, it's preferable if you left it at home.
5) Lose to the worst sides in the comp at least once a year
6) Spin it all positive. Im sure people will buy it
7) Keep signing up suckers...i mean members. the more we have, the more successful a club we are....yeah?

May 8, 2018
Shanghai
AFL Club
Essendon
Ill have a crack at what could be used for a charter

1) Reward mediocrity. Get to 50 games and we'll let you coast to 250 if your body stands up.
2) Getting to 50 will be made hard. You will be dropped. Even when you're good and those with far more games are bad. You will be dropped
3) the plan is: Hire new coach. Make finals. Lose badly. Repeat every 3-4 years.
4) Effort is optional. In fact, it's preferable if you left it at home.
5) Lose to the worst sides in the comp at least once a year
6) Spin it all positive. Im sure people will buy it
7) Keep signing up suckers...i mean members. the more we have, the more successful a club we are....yeah?
...That’s depressingly accurate :huh:

Over the last 15 years I am not sure anyone knows.
Sort of reminds me of when I was young and starting out as a Bomber fan through the 70's. We where the nice middle of the road club with some good players but no one really feared us until Mr Sheedy turned up . We where that meh as a club that we where all excited to just make the GD in 83 even though we got pumped.

Back