Opinion What DON'T you like about NMFC?

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
the fact that we aren't playing in a grand final tomorrow
What we need as a club is to be Audited by a outside group EG: Leading Teams or some independent group to go thru every aspect of this club and I mean every aspect no short cuts and if this means pain and embarrassment for some people within our club so be it.
We as a club have become a joke we need to change if Buckley and his boys club don't want change then step aside enough is enough .
We have become an embarrassment in this sport we as a club we need this to stop.
Now supporters your turn we need to join as members and if your not a member join as the next Generation starts now with new young players starting at North we need to support these players like Wagner Clarke Vicker Wills Durdin
WE DONT WANT
Suben Mayne or Brown
No more Moneyballing

How have we lowballed Wells Rob?

Just because another club is prepared to pay stupid $$ for an old and injury ravaged (albeit gun at best) player is not any reflection we did anything wrong regarding our negotiations.

From all reports our offer was more than fair considering his last few years output, or lack thereof.
Yeah, I've had a few days off but OF looks to have covered that ground.

I'm starting from the assumption that the cutting of the 4 veterans was put together to minimise the loss of experience on any one line, and that keeping Wells and Waite to provide a bit of known class and matchwinning ability in the mids and forwards was part of the plan. A while back Brayshaw or Scott said that Wells had had a good 2-year offer on the table for 5 weeks; we had a fair idea for much longer than that that Wells wanted two and only had one on offer. So the 2-year deal had to be in response to other clubs circling. Which had to have had its origin in the one-year deal that was obviously below where he would sit in the market for the right club or clubs. It could have been knocked on the head with a 2-year deal in July before anyone got their knickers in a twist. By July Wells had shown that the foot was pretty right and he was managing the calf/achilles well enough, though admittedly he'd cooled off a bit from the great start to the season. He still tore Collingwood a new one in round 18, July 22. Was that where their interest in him started to ramp up?

Again, while I like the idea of loyalty I don't buy the idea that players owe their club anything if they get "overpaid" for being injured. They're entitled to look for something in the ballpark of their market value. If the club's gone above and beyond to do the right thing by a player (which NN assures us is the case with Wells) then of course I'd like to think loyalty comes into it.

So it's a list management stuff-up for mine, and one that starts with playing silly low-ball games in contract renewals. And it looks like a pattern to me. If you start too low you end up being forced into finishing up too high. Either that or going out on a sour note (if Barrett is to be believed -- a very big ******* if by the way)

This is apart from the question of whether keeping Wellsy is a priority right now. I happen to think the 22 and the club would be better off with him playing out his career here, and I confess to having an emotional attachment that I don't expect others to necessarily share.

ViperR1

Cancelled
Sep 6, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, I've had a few days off but OF looks to have covered that ground.

I'm starting from the assumption that the cutting of the 4 veterans was put together to minimise the loss of experience on any one line, and that keeping Wells and Waite to provide a bit of known class and matchwinning ability in the mids and forwards was part of the plan. A while back Brayshaw or Scott said that Wells had had a good 2-year offer on the table for 5 weeks; we had a fair idea for much longer than that that Wells wanted two and only had one on offer. So the 2-year deal had to be in response to other clubs circling. Which had to have had its origin in the one-year deal that was obviously below where he would sit in the market for the right club or clubs. It could have been knocked on the head with a 2-year deal in July before anyone got their knickers in a twist. By July Wells had shown that the foot was pretty right and he was managing the calf/achilles well enough, though admittedly he'd cooled off a bit from the great start to the season. He still tore Collingwood a new one in round 18, July 22. Was that where their interest in him started to ramp up?

Again, while I like the idea of loyalty I don't buy the idea that players owe their club anything if they get "overpaid" for being injured. They're entitled to look for something in the ballpark of their market value. If the club's gone above and beyond to do the right thing by a player (which NN assures us is the case with Wells) then of course I'd like to think loyalty comes into it.

So it's a list management stuff-up for mine, and one that starts with playing silly low-ball games in contract renewals. And it looks like a pattern to me. If you start too low you end up being forced into finishing up too high. Either that or going out on a sour note (if Barrett is to be believed -- a very big ******* if by the way)

This is apart from the question of whether keeping Wellsy is a priority right now. I happen to think the 22 and the club would be better off with him playing out his career here, and I confess to having an emotional attachment that I don't expect others to necessarily share.

Yeah fair enough, understand where you are coming from - fair points made. Certainly if we lowballed with one that was taking an unnecessary risk if we were going to be happy with 2 anyway, certainly seems a tad strange.

I also agree that we would prefer to keep him, but then I must admit I have softened on that quite a bit and i'm no longer that upset he is leaving considering the circumstances we find ourselves as a club in the 'bigger picture' so to speak.

benbrownsafro

Draftee
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As an interstate member it would be nice to have an open training session before interstate games. I know a couple of other clubs do.

Yes really in need over here in the west, whenever the boys play the eagles or dockers never is there an open training session to give the perth supporters to interact with the players, very friendly club to interact with if you have the chance to get up close but seems like don't care about there interstate supporters by not putting on a open training session for the last 3-4 years which also have had to play Qualifying and Preliminary Finals in perth without one. Needs to work on that as plenty of other clubs such as Collingwood, St Kilda and Hawthorn are offering perth supporters that and north are falling behind

benbrownsafro

Draftee
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes really in need over here in the west, whenever the boys play the eagles or dockers never is there an open training session to give the perth supporters to interact with the players, very friendly club to interact with if you have the chance to get up close but seems like don't care about there interstate supporters by not putting on a open training session for the last 3-4 years which also have had to play Qualifying and Preliminary Finals in perth without one. Needs to work on that as plenty of other clubs such as Collingwood, St Kilda and Hawthorn are offering perth supporters that and north are falling behind

Also would like to include i have been itching to meet brent harvey for many years now and have been repeatably disappointed by the fact there hasn't been a open training session , got so desperate to try meet him in 2014 in fear it was his last season made a dash to the airport after a match and met some of the boys but unfortunately he wasn't flying out that night.. and now since he has been de-listed I'm absolutely disappointed i couldn't meet the great man

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
The fact that we went into that Crows final waving a white flag. Why was Petrie picked when it was clear his best was past him.

The fact that we went into that Crows final waving a white flag. Why was Petrie picked when it was clear his best was past him.

We shoulda played an underdone Waite or an injured Wood.

Surely we could have found an alternative to Petrie when we had already told him his services were no longer wanted and he was playing like crap.
Probably could have.

I mean we could have played Wagner or Nahas and sat the guy who pulled our jumper on the second most times of anyone living or dead on the sidelines.

I musta missed the part where him playing was the difference.

Perhaps, just perhaps, now stay with me on this, those people we employ to look at it subjectively, did that and knew that the only thing gained by dropping Drew for a final would have been the team taking another emotional hit.
I mean the stormed into finals full of confidence and belief that they coulda taken that hit right?

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Probably could have.

I mean we could have played Wagner or Nahas and sat the guy who pulled our jumper on the second most times of anyone living or dead on the sidelines.

I musta missed the part where him playing was the difference.

Perhaps, just perhaps, now stay with me on this, those people we employ to look at it subjectively, did that and knew that the only thing gained by dropping Drew for a final would have been the team taking another emotional hit.
I mean the stormed into finals full of confidence and belief that they coulda taken that hit right?

Well said.

At least now re Radelaide is I can say I was at Boomers first and last game.

Official.

End of story.

discomute

All Australian
Aug 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Australian Boomers
The way that they upgraded my membership without asking or telling me, which I only figured out a year down the track. Was only $20 so not worth arguing about but I really resent that I have to 'keep an eye out' on my club the same way that I would Telstra.

And today I get a "reminder" text telling me that they are going to start direct debiting my card.... wtf??????

Troo roo for life mate. Just be grateful you get to use your membership to attend games.

And if like us, you are a Shimma member, you will be guaranteed a Grand Final ticket when we get there next year....:rolleyes:

Back