Training What else can we do?

Remove this Banner Ad

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just a thought, rather then delisting Masten, trading the next 5 years of draft picks for a "elite mid" and sending half the team back to the WAFL what alternate options have we got? Im thinking gameplan changes, positional changes etc

It seems just like the last few years when Worsfold was in charge that we are stagnating and put in the same performances week to week

I'd like to see Nelson and Cole get regular games this year (and blocks of games, not one in one out), we need to start bringing through and developing some of our younger talent.
I'd also like to see McGovern moved around a bit more depending on matchups, give him a bit of time at CHF and a bit of time deep in the goal square.

Last edited:
McGovern is a fantastic mark, and I think simmo sees him as a guy who will get on the end of it if the web is working properly. But I think we overly rely on the plan which then ties him up. Agree with Nelson in the guts-let him loose! Yeo back seems logical especially if it can free up Wellingham to do a Brodie Smith. Shep is more a shutdown player and Hurn seems to go missing very easily so it would be handy.

I want to play a smaller defence with 2 key talls with yeo and shep supporting them. Have hurn/wellingham as part of the main back 6 as well and cole/butler as the seventh defender. wellingham and yeo can do small stints in midfield and mitchell whilst mainly playing as a mid can also do stints on half back.
Ah , yep exactly. Someone with crazy pace would be handy there that plays like Johannisen. Even on a bad day still causes problems and may even break the lines once or twice which results in a cheap goal

Yeo is in for an interesting year, I feel like his development (or lack of) in 16 has left him in a bit of no man's land position wise. He's show a bit up forward, small amounts in the midfield and a lot down back so where does he fit or will he forever just be a jack of all trades master of none.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why people want yeo moved into defence but to me if he can have a solid preseason and apply him self again he should be persisted in the middle. He has X-factor and the type of player that can break a game apart or win one by a burst of brilliance and to me the only place he can do it is either as a forward or mid. TBH i can't see him being a full time mid as he lacks the smarts, a tank and he's not a high possession mid. However, i can see him being a good FWd/mid and in 2015 during his break out thats where he did his best work.

As to a mobile i defence i would get Barrass to take the number one forward, get schofield to shed a few KG's and provide run. To me Gov doesn't play like a genuine KPD and he plays like a tall flanker/KPD. His rebound work this season was good and his kicking was spot on most of the time and hence i would like to use him as genuine option to rebound out of defence and get him to collect a tad more of the footy..

I'd like to see us actually blood some of these draftees we bring in each year. Partington, Cole, Murtimer, Lamb, Allen, Karpany and to a lesser extent Nelson & Duggan.

Feels like the club is waiting on these guys to be best 22 before giving them a game, rather than giving them a game to develop them into best 22 level.

I'd like to see us actually blood some of these draftees we bring in each year. Partington, Cole, Murtimer, Lamb, Allen, Karpany and to a lesser extent Nelson & Duggan.

Feels like the club is waiting on these guys to be best 22 before giving them a game, rather than giving them a game to develop them into best 22 level.
Its because where we are at. We are in premiership mode not a bottom 4 team blooding new talent.

Just a thought, rather then delisting Masten, trading the next 5 years of draft picks for a "elite mid" and sending half the team back to the WAFL what alternate options have we got? Im thinking gameplan changes, positional changes etc

We can develop our young players and give them more opportunity. Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

The Bulldogs are a young team in general and probably won a premiership before their time. Lets see how many new young kids they blood now they are a contender.
They won't need to because they're still developing.

WC has the oldest list in the comp now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back