Opinion What exactly is our game plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Twelve months on there is still no definitive answer to the question other than it appears to rely heavily on defence.

“ Winners never blame anybody. It’s only losers who try to blame
other people for what went wrong. So never con yourself that your
failures and your weaknesses are someone else’s fault.”

RON BARASSI

The link below is a good read,

https://books.slatterymedia.com/upl...with-ron-barassi-/files/The_Coach_Sampler.pdf

Some might say Barass' methods are out dated but there is still some room for fire and venom. At times I wish Hinkley would get fired up and call it as it is rather than resort to one liners designed to put the critics back in their place. Maybe he does fire up at training? One can only judge by his public appearances in which he comes across as a nice person. Ken would be a nice bloke to have as a next door neighbour but I am not sure he is the type to inspire me to put my body on the line for a cause.

His eyes say far more truth then his mouth.

Ken said our running rebound footy style a few years back was a copy of Fremantle

So have it a guess our current defensive game style and no forward line is another Fremantle adoption

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the ruddy game plan!! Our skills are that horrid for 3/4 of a game that our gameplan resembles mush

To use a cricket analogy, if you set your field and bowling plans as if you have a West Indies 1976-1996 style pace attack, or one for a bowling line up of peak Johnson, Starc, Cummins and Patterson, but you have a pop gun Sri Lankan pace attack, its the game plan stupid.

To use a cricket analogy, if you set your field and bowling plans as if you have a West Indies 1976-1996 style pace attack, or one for a bowling line up of peak Johnson, Starc, Cummins and Patterson, but you have a pop gun Sri Lankan pace attack, its the game plan stupid.
If players are bad, there is no game plan that will work properly. There is something off with our team. We are missing BASIC plays.

We haven't cured our ADHD. We decided to treat the symptoms. We still enter in stand-by, but teams don't run over us. When we wake up, we still have a shot at winning.

I guess the question then becomes, what do you want the coach to do if he feels like that is the game plan required to win a flag?

1. Keep the plan and hope the players get better as the year goes on?

2. Revert to a plan that better quitsbthese skills but isn't (in the coaches opinion) good enough to go the whole way?

*making better structural selection choices is a given

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If players are bad, there is no game plan that will work properly. There is something off with our team. We are missing BASIC plays.

We haven't cured our ADHD. We decided to treat the symptoms. We still enter in stand-by, but teams don't run over us. When we wake up, we still have a shot at winning.
I think they badly need a pressure release. They are playing like a team scared of failure, over thinking, over complicating things.

Our only hope this year is for something or someone to release the shackles.

That's why I think they need to all go have a big night out together and make a commitment for the rest of the year to make football fun again (in attitude and in game plan)

In cricket they say the captain can't set a field for bad bowling. Bad kicking in football is the equivalent.

So it is a combo of setting a realistic field/game plan for what resources you actually have, not the ones you would like to have, and being able to deliver reasonable skills when you have the ball in hand, not some Under 10's rubbish.

I guess the question then becomes, what do you want the coach to do if he feels like that is the game plan required to win a flag?

1. Keep the plan and hope the players get better as the year goes on?

2. Revert to a plan that better quitsbthese skills but isn't (in the coaches opinion) good enough to go the whole way?

*making better structural selection choices is a given

If the coach thinks his game plan is perfect then there isn't much you can do to change it. The other coaches at the members convention made it very clear Ken is in charge, has the last say, and is a hard man to get to change his mind.

If we have a game plan that gets us to 3rd by end of Rd 23 and only to a PF then that's ok with me - for this year! You then at the end of the season look at your players, get rid of the dead wood, bring in players that will help you improve and you tinker with the game plan you had and look at the development of the 22-26 year olds and work hard on them for a big chunk of the improvement for the next season.

Every year 17 game plans fail, and nobody knows on the 8th of October if any one of those 17 failures will turn out to be a premiership game plan next year. I want constant improvement over the belief that something is the perfect recipe. Perfection is almost unattainable.

I've just posted something on this question:

Our team wants to be a compacted unit, with everybody close to the ball. In theory, we also should have a fast counter-attack, if the opportunity is given to us.

Regardless, the ball should come out of defense towards our targets around the square. Our smalls and wings would move down the field to receive the pass and initiate the attack.

If there is space: fast-forward, and go for the kill (counter-attack). If there is no space: protect possession, and allow the entire team to move forward, so we can press the opposition deep down the field (compacted unit).

Our problem resides in a completely inability to disposal the ball. We can't move forward, be it fast or compacted, because of the ball. If there were no ball, our gameplan would work fine. :rolleyes:

Ok lads, any word on the plan for tomorrow? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back