What exactly makes other ruckmen better than Nicnat?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm quite satisfied with my response to your deeply unsophisticated arguments.

But... but... WC are 7th on the ladder so how can NicNat be the best!!!!! o_O

Here is the argument in its simplest form: NicNat is outstanding at clearances. Being good at clearances does not have a strong correlation to winning games of football.

Marks from opposition kicks and getting intercept possessions that create turnovers do have a strong correlation to winning games of football.

So I’m taking whatever ruckman can create the most turnovers because winning clearances and hit outs are PROVEN by fact to not correlate to winning games or Premierships.

If NicNat also creates the most turnovers and has a higher number of intercept possessions than other rucks I’ll take him.

You value taps and clearances for a ruckman above other metrics … it’s a fact that Premiership teams don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Here is the argument in its simplest form
That's not its simplest form. It's a ridiculous ring-a-rosey.

What metric is more important for ruckmen than impact on stoppages?

Marks from opposition kicks and getting intercept possessions that create turnovers do have a strong correlation to winning games of football.
You say intercept marks and intercept possessions are more important? OK. I mean, that's an argument.

In that case, I guess Reilly O'Brien is your pick of the league's ruckmen because he has the most intercept marks and the most intercept possessions?

You should start a thread insisting that Reilly O'Brien is the best ruckman in the league because of this prized new criteria and see how you go.

It's also weird that you emphasise "a strong correlation to winning games of football". How are Adelaide going this year despite having the best ruckman in the comp? How's your big correlation going there?

You value taps and clearances for a ruckman above other metrics … it’s a fact that Premiership teams don’t.
That's not a fact at all. It's simply the case that there aren't many truly elite ruckmen and various teams have won with ruckmen that vary in quality and in style.

It doesn't mean that Nankervis is definitively better than Naitanui simply because Nankervis played in a premiership.

Last edited:
That's not its simplest form. It's a ridiculous ring-a-rosey.

What metric is more important for ruckmen than impact on stoppages?

You say intercept marks and intercept possessions are more important? I mean, that's an argument.

In that case, I guess Reilly O'Brien is your pick of the league's ruckmen because he has the most intercept marks and the most intercept possessions?

You should start a thread insisting that Reilly O'Brien is the best ruckman in the league because of this prized new criteria and see how you go.
How about all of them? There is no single metric that outweighs everything. It's a combination of all of them, plus objectively viewing them play.

Nic Nat is so good at 1 area and poor at most other things, it really sets him apart. Not sure why this campaign has started but there is no way he's making the AA team in my view. It's embarrassing that someone so tall cannot be a marking target as rucks really provide a great get out of jail option. Like a key forward who can out mark anybody but cannot kick.

How about all of them? There is no single metric that outweighs everything. It's a combination of all of them, plus objectively viewing them play.
This is waffle.

What is the most important metric for a ruckman?

Your response is "nah dunno"?

Nic Nat is so good at 1 area
He's the standout tap ruckman and also far away away the best clearance player among rucks.

I guess Tony Lockett was only good at one area as well. All he could do was take marks and kick goals.

Last edited:
This is waffle.

What is the most important metric for a ruckman?

Your response is "nah dunno"?
There are a lot of stats now. It use to be easy, hit outs. Now, not so much as there are dozens of different stats.

Trying to drill it down to one stat is your strawman argument that Nic Nat is the best ruck because of X stat.

Trying to drill it down to one stat is your strawman argument that Nic Nat is the best ruck because of X stat.
I'm not doing that. I'm saying impact at stoppages, which encompasses several stats, is the key metric.

By all means, correct me.

Also, I think you're confused about what constitutes a "strawman argument".

You guys are entertaining, I'll give you that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As if I need 2000 words to make fools of you guys.

But yes I plead guilty to loving NicNat.

Make fools of? You have such delusions of grandeur that anyone could compile the most logical, factually valid arguments and you would simply dismiss them because they don't fit with your narrative.

It is a waste of time in even replying to someone like that.

Make fools of? You have such delusions of grandeur that anyone could compile the most logical, factually valid arguments and you would simply dismiss them because they don't fit with your narrative.

It is a waste of time in even replying to someone like that.
Please, don't kid yourself. You're not close to achieving this.

As for "my narrative", I assume you're talking about my straightforward and uncontroversial claim that impact on stoppages is the main KPI for ruckmen?

You're yet to explain why that's incorrect.

Righto... ever seen the bar scene in Good Will Hunting? If not, go have a look. You remind me of the bloke with the blonde pony tail. Looking forward to a Will coming in to burst your bubble :)
You need someone else to burst my bubble? Because you're not capable?

That says it all.

You're more like Ben Affleck staring at the wall.

Nope. Was that in the 97 point loss at Geelong where Nick Nat managed to play 60% of the game and wouldn't run out of the centre square?

Great ruckman but he can't play a full game.
Nah it was in the year we won the flag. The most recent one, not one of the two where we beat Geelong in the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back