what game of footy made you celebrate the most?

Remove this Banner Ad

ShockersBoy11

Senior List
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Arsenal, Scorchers
2013 PF- That siren, i went off my f*cking head, we had finally made the big dance
Then that 1st quarter a week later came and that joy turned to reality
3rd quarter came that joy came back
Followed by more reality in the 4th. Not easy being a Freo man.

1 point win v Essendon in 2014 tho. I've never seen scenes in the MCC like I did when Christian Salem kicked that goal and when the siren went. Comeback v Freo in 2008. In more recent times Monday was pretty special, ecstasy of Dees' fans was definitely heightened by all the booing from the Collingwood supporters when the siren blew, and given our four very close losses this year.

Apart from the obvious 2010 premiership, the 2012 semi-final win over West Coast was massive because I always thought we'd lose and we were behind for a lot of the night.

Close wins over Geelong in 2012 and Richmond in 2016 I recall going ham after
It's obviously different for a grand final (not that I would know lol) but my celebration of wins where the margin is a bit blown out is always a bit subdued, because the realisation of victory happens well before the siren and more gradually over a period of time, rather than a close one where it's jubilation all at once. I guess you celebrate for longer though, was definitely how I felt when we beat Hawthorn last year and Adelaide this year. With the latter it was a real party at the pub for the second half when everyone realised there was no way of them getting back in the play let alone winning.

Aside from grand finals ... two games in particular stand out.
2007 Elimination Final vs Adelaide - I've never jumped around so much like a little kid as what I did after Buddy's goal with seconds left.
2013 Prelimary Final vs Geelong - the game that broke the Kennett Curse amid Shaun Burgoyne's amazing final quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the 93 and 00 GF, the 01 PF, the comeback game against the Roos, etc.
the last few years have been testing for a supporter of 27 odd years. More so the fact that there was revelry in what the club, its players and supporters were going through.
My top 5 wins reflect a lot of this.

1-2013 v Eagles in WA. Watson BOG whilst continually booed. I was watching at a Pub and a group of EFC supporters ended up crowding around each other glued to the same tv set. Ripping win and a good night of celebration and reflection followed
2-2009 Anzac Day - Zaka goal. Many hugs that day
3-2016 v Dees - Missing core players. Weren't supposed to win a game. A young Darcy Parish had an awesome game too. Cloud 9 for days after that
4-07 v Tigers. Dying seconds, Richo called for hands in the back on Fletch, turns around kicks the ball towards goal (may have even scored). Ump calls 50 (stiff, the crowd was louder than ACDC than night). Tigers fans celebrating. Many of them right in my face (I'm fairly quiet at the footy, so it was clearly due to the colours and their short lived elation). We kick two points to win it from there. Lost control of myself at said point and celebrated like we'd won a flag. So many melts around me too. Mostly those who had been waving scarves in my face only seconds earlier.
5-93 GF. Baby Bombers get up and win the 1st GF I'm old enough to understand (11 at the time).

Last edited:
Obvious answer would be the 2004 GF but I was only 8 so didn't celebrate too hard.

I'll say the Chad Wingard Showdown feat. the Monfries bounce in 2013.

Same here, although I'm a fair bit older. I was pacing my living room for the Monfries bounce showdown, screamed my lungs out when we won.

The miracle on grass closely followed by pandemonium at the gabba.

Excluding GFs and finals of course.
For me, the 09 Carlton final is pretty high up there. The roar from the crowd when Bradshaw snapped a goal from the pocket was amazing (I was there:cool:).

I'd have it as the most pumped I've been after a Lions win since the glory days. Including the WCE and Geelong games.

For me, the 09 Carlton final is pretty high up there. The roar from the crowd when Bradshaw snapped a goal from the pocket was amazing (I was there:cool:).

I'd have it as the most pumped I've been after a Lions win since the glory days. Including the WCE and Geelong games.
Agree, I was there too, and it was a fightback as well, an unlikely fightback win are always the best.

1-2013 v Eagles in WA. Watson BOG whilst continually booed. I was watching at a Pub and a group of EFC supporters ended up crowding around each other glued to the same tv set. Ripping win and a good night of celebration and reflection followed

I was at that game, absolute ripper and it'd be my #1 too (although the Freo comeback earlier that year was also epic), Carlisle and Heppell goals were outstanding but would've been sweeter tbh if Dys hadn't kicked it and we won by a point rather than seven. I had borrowed my dad's eagles membership for the game too, nothing like swinging the scarf in the eagles members area ;)

2012 and 2013 wafl grand finals would be up there as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back