Opinion What gets my GOAT...

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
i am of a certain agenow where the desent into full on grumpy old bastard is a steep slippery sloap but in 2019 there are a few things footy related that are really really getting on my goat ...
1. The Dan Hannabery thing - the guy is injured just like many many other players from every club is.. how this get spun into some sort of dig at the player and the team get my goat up ... and the talk of the trade being a total fail cause he has a soft tissue injury really gets my goat... give the guy time to get over his injury.. remember when we signed Gardy from the WCE for two seasons he basically didnt play for us but once he got right and got into the team he was a HUGE influence in the teams fortunes, when we were running around with 19 consecutive wins no one was saying the trade was a bust cause he missed the first season entirly .. Hannas is here for 5 so if year one is written off to injury that bad luck but not the end of the world .

2. this weeks talk about how the saints over came a depleated Hawks ... FFS yes hawthorn had injurys but F my brown dog they are not alone in having injured players ... rather than look at who they had out lets look at who they had in - from my count they still have MULTIPLE players who have won multiple grand finals .. they had multiple guys who have been AA players.. do take away from our huge effort to grab that win with the excuse of oh the hawks were walking wounded is a major slap to the face - if the hawks had managed to win yesterday the talk would be how great they were to overcome us with the walking wounded they had not how they overcame a St Kilda missing 5 guys who would be auto best 22 for the team or how we were running one short due to injury ... even last week the talk was how Freo overcame losing Fyfe in the third... credit needs to be given to the saints who while being well behind in the talent level are working harder than the opponent to make up for that talent deficet ...

what has got your goat about this year so far ????

Umpires across all games seem to influence more games, It feels like they have been instructed to keep margins tight. Games I have no investment in are actually frustrating me because of the stupid officiating. I'm finding neutral games hard to watch.

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
With you St T. Those poor bloody Hawks - continually down the bottom of the ladder, no success, can't get experience into their team, hopeless coach and admin, no money, no trade prospects because no one will go there and then....... robbed by the corrupt, dishonest AFL stooges masquerading as umpires.
My heart goes out to them, perennially struggling and no prospect of a change in fortune. The bloody AFL have destroyed their season yet again. Why can't they have 6 interchange players on their bench? Its an outrage!!
Kennett should demand immediate reinstatement of 4 premiership.points and their salary cap be lifted due to the incredible disadvantage of having to wear those horrible colours!!
Perhaps a Royal Commission is required to sort it out?

Supporters of all teams that complain about umpires. It is swings and roundabouts - accept it and move on.
And also supporters that complain about supporters that complain about umpires ;)

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The media / commentariat narrative of 'fielding a young side'. All of last year we got Carlton as a 'young team that is building' and last year nobody seemed to mention that about our side despite us fielding some very young average age / games teams.

Yesterday 7 of our best 10 (per fantasy stats so take with a grain of salt) were 23 years old or younger. To be fair one of the commentators did mention late in the game how many >15 game players we had running around.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Hawks missing 4 of their best 22.
(Mitchell, O'Meara, Sheils, Burgoyne.)
Saints missing 6.
(Steven, Jake, hanners, robbo, paddy, geary)

Frawley only played 40min...
McKenzie only played 40 min.

Stratton missed the 2nd half but was on the park for 76 mins, Parker played 85 after missing most of Q2.

Cousins copped a knock but so did big dog Marshall who got his face panel beaten and missed a good 10min of Q2.

So I hardly see how they were worse off than us injury wise.

Hawks team full of premiership/triple premiership players, a list of names which does NOT include new superstar recruits Scully and Wingard.

Meanwhile our team "has zero A-graders"
And what was it? 6 players under 20 games experience.

Good on those battling hawks for overcoming the odds.
(Not TAB odds, they were favourites)

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
We are the Rodney Dangerfield of the competition as far as the media is concerned. "We get no respect. No respect at all."
And No regard either! :grinning:
Wooah baby you must have been something before the war hey! Rodney after a quick glance at Caro!

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Maggots been at an all time worst this year, we cop it as usual and good on our boys for overcoming the umpiring as well as opposition 3 weeks out of 4 to get the wins.

We lost the free kick count again. For a team that gets its hands on the ball a lot, we don't seem to get much reward. That 50 to Henderson just before 1/2 time is surely the nadir of umpiring against us this year. I know we're tackling to hurt and playing unsociable football, but Hawthorn has always enjoyed a fairly good go. Oh, sorry, possible criticism of hawks. Free kick Hawthorn.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
We lost the free kick count again. For a team that gets its hands on the ball a lot, we don't seem to get much reward. That 50 to Henderson just before 1/2 time is surely the nadir of umpiring against us this year. I know we're tackling to hurt and playing unsociable football, but Hawthorn has always enjoyed a fairly good go. Oh, sorry, possible criticism of hawks. Free kick Hawthorn.

We won the free kick count

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
We won the free kick count
Come on Plugger! This is StKilda we don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative! Shame on you! ;)
Btw Disagree we got a good run yesterday, but i will say it was refreshing to see an umpie finally have the testicular fibre to pay an obvious
Free kick to us for holding the ball at a crucial time!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Come on Plugger! This is StKilda we don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative! Shame on you! ;)
Btw Disagree we got a good run yesterday, but i will say it was refreshing to see an umpie finally have the testicular fibre to pay an obvious
Free kick to us for holding the ball at a crucial time!
If we had no frees inside 50 and they had 5 we would be going crazy. The run yesterday was good.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
If we had no frees inside 50 and they had 5 we would be going crazy. The run yesterday was good.
It's not a good run when they are clearly there so therefore paid! A good run is when you get manufactured decisions that could go either way
Always paid to you! Cant remember a game ever for that matter where that has happened for us!

The ultimate irony is spoilt Hawthorn supporters having the gall to complain about the umps after the free ride they have had over the years!
I will give them the Bulldogs game though as they are the only other rival when it comes to getting a free ride and the impact on that game
A few weeks back cost them dearly!
As for yesterday Suck it Hawthorn you fickle sookie sookie la la's!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
It's not a good run when they are clearly there so therefore paid! A good run is when you get manufactured decisions that could go either way
Always paid to you! Cant remember a game ever for that matter where that has happened for us!

The ultimate irony is spoilt Hawthorn supporters having the gall to complain about the umps after the free ride they have had over the years!
I will give them the Bulldogs game though as they are the only other rival when it comes to getting a free ride and the impact on that game
A few weeks back cost them dearly!
As for yesterday Suck it Hawthorn you fickle sookie sookie la la's!
Ok. I could not ever watch a game if I really thought that way. I would be following marbles

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Ok. I could not ever watch a game if I really thought that way. I would be following marbles
???
Thought what way man? What have the nerve to expect them to pay whats there? And have a reasonable expectation that they don't manufacture
A decision out of nothing that invariably swings a game in the balance!
You honestly believe that Hawthorn were robbed yesterday? I doubt that very much! That would be what you call a good run!

Back