Strategy What happened to HANZ-UP?

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2009, under then Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett, the Hawks launched the HANZ-UP program.

"
HAWTHORN has entered the New Zealand market, launching a new community-based program called 'HANZ-UP! AFL Program' and securing its first Kiwi international scholarship player Kurt Heatherley.

The Hawks announced an initial three-year deal with an option to extend the partnership until the end of 2018. The program is the brainchild of Hawthorn player personnel and strategy manager Chris Pelchen and is the result of 18 months research and planning.

HANZ-UP! was launched by president Jeff Kennett, AFL national community manager community development manager Dean Warren and Kiwi-born Hawks Trent Croad, Brent Renouf and Shane Savage at Westpac Stadium, Wellington. "
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2009-11-13/hanzup-for-hawks-nz-program

7-8 years later and you have to think a decision will be made on Kurt Heatherley in the next year or two & the fact the Hawks website which used to contain a section for HANZ-UP is no longer spruiking anything about our relationship with NZ AFL footy. One has to ask, 'what has happened?'

We got 2 International catagory B recruits in Kurt Hurt and The Shem. I'm sure the club announced another 2 signings yet they seemed to have quietly gone off any list.

So when and why did we finish up the HANZ-UP program?

My opinion
The reason for the question is that I believe the Hawthorn FC to be the best of any and all of the AFL clubs at taking and developing a new concept to expand the base of the AFL. Tasmania is a terrific example. A number of AFL clubs had previously tried for a year or two to set foot in Tassie yet none had the determination and forsight of the HFC to turn our commitment into a long term partnership. One that has been good for both Tasmania and the Hawks.

It just seems a shame that could not continue this development & success in New Zealand with more players and supporters joining the best AFL club in the world.

Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

They did have those cool black and silver Hawk tops though...

Yep I'm wearing one as i type.

They are really cool to wear when you go to rough area's as well cos its got "New Zealand" plastered all over the front and the Guernsey is predominantly black and white so people think it's an All Blacks top and no one comes near you :D.

A bit like the Saints getting the hell out of the NZ experiment as soon as possible - I think you spend a lot of resources for very little gain. The fact that we've now got two Irish lads on the list would indicate that we're looking elsewhere for the international rookies.

As I understand it, we were very interested a few years back in a young fella playing in a representative side, who had the misfortune of wearing number #6 on his back.....
I believe the Kiwi footy manager at the park that day noticed the Hawks contingent mention the young boys name a few times as the game wore on and approached Clarko, offering to get together and watch some videos of 6 in a quiet video room out the back.

We haven't been back since.

A bit like the Saints getting the hell out of the NZ experiment as soon as possible - I think you spend a lot of resources for very little gain. The fact that we've now got two Irish lads on the list would indicate that we're looking elsewhere for the international rookies.

But that's my point. The Saints getting out is just 'situation normal' for them. They were into Tasmania but backed out. We went in and have made it a success.

Republic of Ireland & New Zealand both have about the same population. Many AFL clubs are into Ireland but it now seems NZ is a backwater. A considerably closer backwater than Ireland. Not everyone in NZ can be or wants to be an All Black..I mean, lets face it, who wants to look like they F**cked a Mack truck with cauliflower ears.

It seems to me we have the business model for success we used and continue to use in Tasmania, that we should apply to NZ.

But that's my point. The Saints getting out is just 'situation normal' for them. They were into Tasmania but backed out. We went in and have made it a success.

Republic of Ireland & New Zealand both have about the same population. Many AFL clubs are into Ireland but it now seems NZ is a backwater. A considerably closer backwater than Ireland. Not everyone in NZ can be or wants to be an All Black..I mean, lets face it, who wants to look like they F**cked a Mack truck with cauliflower ears.

It seems to me we have the business model for success we used and continue to use in Tasmania, that we should apply to NZ.
NZ is harder to break into, Gaelic isn't professional and is the closest skill set. Rugby 7s, league and union take most of the kids from an early age and they can make money.

Can understand why Ireland is a more successful recruiting ground. Doesn't mean we shouldn't keep a presence but the soft cap on spending and Dingley probably play a part

As I understand it, we were very interested a few years back in a young fella playing in a representative side, who had the misfortune of wearing number #6 on his back.....
I believe the Kiwi footy manager at the park that day noticed the Hawks contingent mention the young boys name a few times as the game wore on and approached Clarko, offering to get together and watch some videos of 6 in a quiet video room out the back.

Spell it out for me, I'm an idiot. What are you talking about?

I heard there was a mixup at a BBQ involving some chips.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple fact is NZ folk don't give an utter * about it for the most part. Even NZ/Pacific Islander folks in Melbourne are far more interested in the Storm and Rebels. Even Rugby League struggles for a great deal of relevancy in NZ - it's a distant second for the public heart and imagination over there. Rugby Union is a religion over there, and when the All Blacks perpetually dominate the game and have won back to back world cups - it makes it very hard to get any foothold. AFL has a difficult enough time pushing in the the NRL regions let alone getting into NZ. It's the same in Brisbane - you won't find many NZ/Pacific Islander ex-pats getting interested in AFL. I imagine the $wans and Giants have similar issues.

On top of this, I would rather focus on Irish lads because the skills have been shown to be transferable in the past. Despite Karmichael Hunt kicking a winning goal once - his transition wasn't exactly a huge success. Sure, he played a few games and wasn't terrible - but the gulf between him and a kid who'd played this game his entire life was huge. Israel Folau was a shocking flop. If we want international rookies, then making a project player from someone who has played Rugby all their life isn't what I would be aiming for (while acknowledging Mike Pyke's success). Would much rather look at the Irish lads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back