What happened to the coup de grace ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
You had us on the ropes Friday night.

Your hand and foot skills in the pouring rain left us floundering. When we had the ball we had no idea what to do with it, and didn't even look like kicking a half-way decent score.

We escaped being 'Bombed' last season, but on Friday we got a good idea of the type of treatment you have been handing out to everyone else lately.

So why didn't you guys finish us off like a champion team should have ?

Only 1 goal for the last THIRD of the game (coutesy of a free kick and 50 m I might add) was curious to say the least.

Don't get me wrong - you were in complete control and it was entirely your choice to take the foot off the accelerator - but why ?

Any thoughts ?

From well back in the stands I thought both sides just wanted the 4th quarter to end. If anything we got even more defensive and placed more people back. A few attacks foundered simply due to the absence of anyone in the bomber foward fifty. We certainly flooded shamelessly on the night.

I was impressed by the overall skill level, especally the marking in very wet conditions. Special mentions to some of Hird's contested marks, and Mark Johnson's. Sorry about Warfe I actually like him as a player quite a bit.

Also a mention for M Long who managed to make extremely effctive use of his possessions.

bsa,
probably saving ourselves for anzac day. Give the stars a bit of a rest and make sure we're ready for Collingwood.

I must admit, I thought it might be a 100 point margin at one stage.

i think thats exactly right, anzac day is a huge priority

hird and barnes went to the bench, lucas went down back and a few other minor experiments were tried

it was a common theme in 2000 were we would have a match won and then rest players in the final term

BSA,

Maybe we were just soft.

Seriously, I think both teams wanted the match to end. With a five day break to prepare ouselves for Anzac day, maybe we just sub-consciously took the foot off the gas.

Does anyone have the stats for Hard Ball Gets (HBs) from Friday's game ?

I would just like to get my facts right before talking about this "essendon are not hard at the ball" stuff.

From way back in the Dally Messenger Stand I kinda got the impression HBs were about even, but where you guys absolutely killed us were the clean possessions you were able to accumulate around the packs.

It suggests a decisive edge in skill - not necessarily 'hardness at the ball' - There is a difference.

But as I said - I would like a look at the stats before commenting any further.

cheers

On Sunday I went down to Humphreys on the Corso and bought the Melbourne papers...I saw HB stats somewhere....Herald Sun??

The game? I can proudly say I was a little tense but kept the faith in the Bombers' sheer skill and was looking forward to a good clash at the SCG! With the rain pouring off the brim of my Akrubra over my beer I didn't see nuttin but another skills clinic kindly provided to a stunned looking O'Loughlin & Co. by the Essendon benevolent society. (I really think they could have bitch-slapped the Swanies into the next season but held off for some reason at the end) "Peveril who?" R.Eade
Definitely 40,000...there was 19,000 in the beer queue!

The gallant Dons saluted their fans who came all the way up to see them win. I was expecting the boring S-y-d-n-e-y noise but happy Black and Reds were surprisingly more vocal..with kids running up and down the aisle when we scored. Also all the Swanies near me were sullen throughout and left early - bad sports! Us mob had to cheer on the Swanies for them "c'mon quit passing the *&%*thing around and get it down near your goal and have a go!!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back