zane-back-to-the-future.jpg

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Ha. There are a few sites discussing what the hell happened to Billy Zane

http://lebeauleblog.com/2014/06/28/what-the-hell-happened-to-billy-zane/
"He gained popularity on one of the quirkiest TV shows of the 90s, and he played the least-loved character in what was at the time the highest-grossing movie ever. His list of credits include several popular films, but when the handsome actor tried to transition into leading man roles, something didn’t click. Zane has worked steadily since 1985, but somehow he never became a household name. So, what the hell happened?

Well, for starters, Zane was never really a star. In the early 90’s, everyone expected him to hit it big, but it just never happened. Zane’s career consisted largely of independent movies the average movie goer had never heard of. And when a movie he made did cross over to main stream audiences, he was usually playing a scumbag. Having a major role in the biggest movie of all time can take your career to the next level or it can make an entire generation of teenage girls hate you.

As Zane pointed out, his financial situation with his large alimony payments forced him to work steadily. He wasn’t in a position to be picky about what direction his career took. Sure, committing to a crappy horror movie pays the bills, but it also means you aren’t available if a better offer comes along. Zane was jumping from one project to the next, which rarely leads to good career choices.

When Titanic was rereleased in 3-D, Zane was asked if he was frustrated with the state of his career. He admitted that his career wasn’t where he wanted it to be, but claimed to be happy all the same:
It’s an interesting thing. ‘Always the bridesmaid,’ as they say for the ladies. It’s always nice to be on the verge. If Titanic 3-D is a unique or curious reminder of that body of work, then wonderful. I’m someone who believes in pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps. It’s been interesting for me, and at times difficult. But I’ve never been in a better space.

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, I didn't know that about Hackman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Hackman

Retirement from acting
On July 7, 2004, Hackman gave a rare interview to Larry King, in which Hackman announced that he had no future film projects lined up and believed his acting career was over. In 2008, while promoting his third novel, Hackman confirmed that he had retired from acting.[18] When asked during a GQ interview in 2011 if he would ever come out of retirement to do one more film, Hackman said he might consider it "...if I could do it in my own house, maybe, without them disturbing anything and just one or two people".

Yeah, I didn't know that about Hackman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Hackman

Retirement from acting
On July 7, 2004, Hackman gave a rare interview to Larry King, in which Hackman announced that he had no future film projects lined up and believed his acting career was over. In 2008, while promoting his third novel, Hackman confirmed that he had retired from acting.[18] When asked during a GQ interview in 2011 if he would ever come out of retirement to do one more film, Hackman said he might consider it "...if I could do it in my own house, maybe, without them disturbing anything and just one or two people".
Christ Hackman was a campaigner.

Great actor, but a proper campaigner.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm going to say most of the LOTR cast. Apart from Orlando Bloom, Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellen, I haven't seen many others in recent films or anything. Elijah wood? He's gone missing, I know Sean Austin was a big hit growing up but has disappeared recently. The actor of Mary was in a few movies and TV shows. Vigo Mortensen has also fallen away, after the LOTR I saw him in 1 film which was Hidalgo.

Sean Astin wrote a bizzare autobiography and would have burned a lot of bridges with it. Voices one of the Ninja Turles in the latest TV series.

Viggo Mortensen hasn't fallen away. He seems like the type of guy who doesn't feel the urge to release two films a year and cherrypicks his roles. Was great in The Road.

Karl Urban has done a lot of stuff, including Dredd and Star Trek.

John Rhys-Davies has always had a career full of b-grade films.

Sean Astin wrote a bizzare autobiography and would have burned a lot of bridges with it. Voices one of the Ninja Turles in the latest TV series.

Viggo Mortensen hasn't fallen away. He seems like the type of guy who doesn't feel the urge to release two films a year and cherrypicks his roles. Was great in The Road.

Karl Urban has done a lot of stuff, including Dredd and Star Trek.

John Rhys-Davies has always had a career full of b-grade films.
Even watching the appendicies you could just tell Astin was a real weird unit.

He's a very insecure individual with his head in the clouds. He got paid $250,000 US for the whole trilogy and bitched about how little money that was.
The interviews on the Appendicies he's talking about having to look after Elijah like Sam looked after Frodo, kept interrogating helicopter pilots about if they were safe and knew what they were doing and the like.

Real weird unit.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
In this thread we ask the question, what happened it *insert Celebrity*??

What happened to Craig David?? He was huge in the 90s and was going head to head with Usher! They were both equally good but Usher is still recognized these days but no one talks about Craig David!

haha Xanman

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Jeanne Tripplehorn had a decent purple patch in the '90s, being in a handful of successful and big budget movies -- Basic Instinct, The Firm, Waterworld, Sliding Doors and Mickey Blues Eyes (a relative flop) -- but her film career really nose-dived after 1999.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
Jeanne Tripplehorn had a decent purple patch in the '90s, being in a handful of successful and big budget movies -- Basic Instinct, The Firm, Waterworld, Sliding Doors and Mickey Blues Eyes (a relative flop) -- but her film career really nose-dived after 1999.
She was good in the excellent 'Big Love' tv series but other than that you'll have to be watching tv at midday to see her.

floodbuster

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
Too close to the sun
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Southampton fc
Replaced by a younger model.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
She was in Criminal Minds for the last 2-3 years.She's now left and been replaced by Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Back