What happened to......??

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What really happened to Chris O'Donnell's movie career? I saw him for a minute on the telly the other night (no, I didn't watch The Bachelor :p ).

He reckons he backed off from Hollywood to become a family man, but such stories in showbiz usually sound like bullshit
http://celebritybabies.people.com/2010/05/19/chris-odonnell-i-chose-family-over-fame/

However, he did take extended breaks after being in a couple of big movies (although, his heavily criticized performance in Batman And Robin might've had something to do with it), so maybe it's true

He was in 12 films between 1990 and 1997, including Scent Of A Woman, The Three Musketeers, and 2 Batman movies (playing Robin), but didn't make a movie for 2 years after that, during which time he reckons he knocked back the Agent J role in Men In Black (Will Smith), mostly because he didn't wanna play another sidekick.

He came back in 1999 and was in 2 duds (The Bachelor and Cookie's Fortune), but after starring in the successful Vertical Limit in 2000, he nicked off again for another few years, and hasn't done a lot since; mostly tv

Last edited:

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
There are a couple of other Australia's Funniest Home Video show hosts you never hear of any more; Lisa Patrick from the early 1990s, and Kim Kilbey from the late 1990s. I wonder what they are up to now?

I heard Patrick 'retired' after hosting Funniest Home Video's.

I also heard Jackie McDonald resigned after Gina Reilly lampooned her on Fast Forward

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Ah yeah, Kim Kilbey; I forgot all about her. It looks like she moved to the U.S. and started producing stuff like Dancing With The Stars (she was one of 8 producers), but she hasn't got a credit listed on IMDB since 2011.

This is from 2008

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...y-up-for-an-emmy/story-e6frfmqr-1111117548002

kim-kilbey-6261597.jpg

Kilbey, now based in LA, is one of eight producers who received an Emmy nomination for their work on the US version of Dancing With The Stars. Despite leaving Australia six years ago to chase her acting ambitions in Tinseltown, the glamour girl has been run off her feet with work behind the camera.

The 'gumleaf mafia' has also played a part in Kilbey's success. She was inspired by former TV presenter Eden Gaha, now an executive producer on reality series, including The Apprentice.

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This actress didn't disappear at all but, after being in a huge film in 1996, she apparently turned her back on making movies to focus on raising kids: Jami Gertz.

She did a fair bit of tv and several low-budget movies between 1981 and 1992, some of which had relative success, such as Sixteen Candles, The Lost Boys, Less than Zero and Sibling Rivalry. She was also in Crossroads, Quicksilver (with Kevin Bacon) and Renegades.

She then took a break for a few years to have a couple of kids, during which time she did a couple of tv guest spots, including Seinfeld (she was the "I don't have a square to spare" girl on the episode The Stall).

She returned to film in 1996 to be in the massive Twister, and never made a major movie since! That's the bit that I find slightly interesting. :D

She had another kid, but she was also nominated for a Golden Rasberry for her performance in Twister, so.... who knows?

Since Twister, she's gradually done more and more tv stuff and few minor movies.

latest

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Lori Singer didn't do anything memorable after being one of the main leads in Footloose. She worked steadily for a while, but only had 2 acting credits between 1997 and 2011, and only 3 since. It seems as though she's as much a cellist as she is an actress

LoriBWFame1.jpg

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
After being the lead actress in the hugely successful Saturday Night Fever, Karen Lynn Gorney did nothing on screen for 14 years, and has only done bits and pieces since. The film made $237 mill on a $3.5 budget which, adjusted for inflation is $933 million on a $14 mill budget!!

* me! She was in one of the biggest movies ever, then disappeared for 14 years.

the_conversation.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
What really happened to Chris O'Donnell's movie career? I saw him for a minute on the telly the other night (no, I didn't watch The Bachelor :p ).

... he knocked back the Agent J role in Men In Black (Will Smith), mostly because he didn't wanna play another sidekick.

I didn't see Will Smith as the side kick

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn't see Will Smith as the side kick
I agree. That suggestion seems to have come from someone in O'Donnell's camp:

"Chris O'Donnell turned down the role of Agent J because he felt it was too familiar to his sidekick part in Batman and Robin"

Another, similar:
  • "Chris O'Donnell was first offered the role of Agent J, but he turned it down because he thought it was another "new recruit" role, like his performance of Dick Grayson/Robin in the Batman films".

Last edited:

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Lori Singer didn't do anything memorable after being one of the main leads in Footloose. She worked steadily for a while, but only had 2 acting credits between 1997 and 2011, and only 3 since. It seems as though she's as much a cellist as she is an actress

LoriBWFame1.jpg

Interestingly, Lori Singer is just 12 years younger than John Lithgow, who played her father in Footloose. Singer was 27 years old when she played the role, and male lead Kevin Bacon 26. While it is far from unusual for actors well into their 20s to play 18/19 year olds at high school or college (see the cast of Grease as an example) you can see that Singer and Bacon are far older than the ages of their characters, due to the presence of a then-unknown Sarah Jessica Parker, who was aged 18, looked 18 and was playing an 18-year-old.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
yeah, interesting. I didn't know that.
Gord! She's 57. Time flies
Kevin Bacon is also 57.
Both him and Lori Singer were in their mid 20's in that movie,even though they were playing characters who were suppose to be around 17-18.
Chris Penn & SJP were teenagers when the movie was made.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
Singer was 27 years old and Kevin Bacon 26. ...... Sarah Jessica Parker, who was aged 18,
Kevin Bacon is also 57.
Both him and Lori Singer were in their mid 20's in that movie,even though they were playing characters who were suppose to be around 17-18.
Chris Penn & SJP were teenagers when the movie was made.

Say that again?
saythatagain.jpg

wanna-say-that-again.jpg

upload_2015-7-26_11-54-46.jpeg

Never-say-that.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
One for the behind the scenes guys:

Music composers Vince Di'Cola and Jan Hammer

Both heavy on the synth and many was say their scores haven't aged, but with 80s style music and composing creeping back in to film, I wondered what has happened to 2 of the best. Both men have a quality over quantity of media scored, with Vince Di'Cola getting cult fame for the original Transformers animated film (1986) and Rocky IV, while Hammer scored 4 of the 5 seasons of the revolutionary Miami Vice. Neither one has found much work at all in movies and TV outside of these, despite the fact they would have to be the best of the synth heavy 80s composers, and behind all the flavour of the month instruments, was some very very solid, nuanced, structured, memorable music, from very educated musicians that could easily apply to other presentations, like Hans Zimmer has managed to do since his beginnings.

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I always expected Claire Forlani to have a more successful film career (Mallrats was on tonight), mostly because she was so pretty. Gord, I loved her, even though she's so skinny. :D

She had no major movie hit after Meet Joe Black (1998), despite being very busy. She did several indy and low-budget films, and was in some flops (Boys And Girls, Antitrust and Triggermen) and a few massive bombs, such as Mystery Men, The Medallion, Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius, and In The Name of The King. So maybe Hollywood decided she was either box office poison, or just couldn't act.

However, she claims to have backed off from the limelight:

'Claire Forlani's star was on the rise in the mid-1990s, as she landed major roles in big-budget films alongside Brad Pitt, Sean Connery and Ben Stiller. At the same time she built a solid track record in movies that would attain cult status, from directors including Kevin Smith and Julian Schnabel.

Yet the pressures of Hollywood, personal tragedy and fierce protectiveness of her privacy saw the British actress step back from the spotlight over the following decade. She has continued to work consistently in film and television but it is the work from close to 20 years ago that still have fans stopping her in the street.

Yet being thrust into the spotlight brought its drawbacks.
"It's really hard when you're young, Forlani said. I have a lot of young actor friends now and I try to help because I understand it's a terrifying business. For a woman, it's absolutely a misogynist environment. You are prey, so if you don't have protection, you're dealing with intense stuff. That's why drugs and alcohol are prevalent. The 20-year-olds have to turn to something. I was one of the unprotected ones, and it was tough at the time."

When she was 27, her mother died. "She was the one support I had. It was so hard. I just sort of retreated. I still worked but I wasn't taking risks after that. I took safe options. I wasn't brave and bold during that time."

Claire-Forlani.jpg

Claire%20Forlani-SGG-034070.jpg

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Ally Sheedy was kinda big in the '80s, but hasn't done anything big for about 20 years
Speaking of which (almost a year ago :D), St Elmo's Fire is on now, and I think there are a few "where are they now?" candidates in there.
The obvious ones who didn't really have big careers are Andrew McCarthy, Ally Sheedy and Mare Winngham, the one who Rob Lowe's character shagged in the film.

Last edited:
Back