Prediction What happens next? - Collingwood after Ed

Do you reckon it will be good thing or a bad thing that will be no succession plan now?

• Bad thing - if we could have had an orderly handover, that would have been best for the club

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Good thing - clean slate, new beginnings

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters
Agree to disagree Sco. I personally think it would still be good to have an established media performer on the board, albeit one that's less prone to foot in mouth disease. That doesn't exclude people from the top end of town with connections from also joining the board - it's more than just Eddie that I think should step away.
Administrative competence, please.

The report was really fair and balanced. The only thing in it that is inflammatory is the language of the loaded term 'structural racism'. It's a standard definition, so they can't be criticised for it. But the word racism triggers an image and response of rage in many, understandably considering the historical context, and some people pull out their machetes and start going the hack - rather than understanding that under current definitions, some forms of racism bare little similarity to the images that the word evoke and are simply errors devoid of prejudice or are not doing things as well as they should be done in order to ensure racial inclusion - which is all the report's findings ahve pointed out - but it sounds outrageous when the term racism is used. The report's recommendations will make the club a better place - just got to bunker down, make the changes and try to avoid too many unnecessary casualties to the machette's that are being brandished - unfortunately Eddie was a necessary unavoidable sacrifice.
I can’t agree that the report was fair and balanced. The term 'structural racism' went well beyond anything that was substantiated in the report. Then you add the term ‘toxic culture’ and the gap between substance and conclusions becomes a gulf. The whole club, from president to boot studder to bar staff, has been smeared.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Very impressed with this analysis by the very credible Barry Cassidy, emphasising the need for an elected board and time limits as well as some commonsense as to where things went wrong.

What true Collingwood supporter has ever been embarrassed to be known as a Collingwood supporter? These people truly stun me. He writes as if no other club or institution has ever faced the internal issues and problems Collingwood have had publicized. It's as though we are this uniquely flawed club holding back the otherwise pure and pristine AFL competition.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Let the person who has never made a mistake cast the first stone. Just because hers was a very public episode doesn't make it any more than that. She has a very impressive resume, is well spoken and considered. If we're looking for the someone who is without blemish we may need to remove them from the cross prior to them taking the position.

I take your point and we might have limited applicants, so beggars cant be choosers. I have to admit that I'm not necessarily impressed by business people. They seem to be generally accepted as meeting the requirements of any organisational position, including that of AFL presidents. I think otherwise.

I just watched a video of her giving a speech of her life. It seems she went through something traumatic, left home and then went on to "study at other people's expense" for a number of years... her words. She got spotted by blackmores and then went to aust post. She's self made - of a fashion - which is good. She ran a vitamin company well it seems. I dont see much. I saw her being questioned by a senator about her watches and she didnt appear to like it... she looked under pressure like eddie did at the press conference last week.

she would be constantly under pressure as collingwood president. she might like it on such a constant basis. I dont think many company leaders would like it.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
What true Collingwood supporter has ever been embarrassed to be known as a Collingwood supporter? These people truly stun me. He writes as if no other club or institution has ever faced the internal issues and problems Collingwood have had publicized. It's as though we are this uniquely flawed club holding back the otherwise pure and pristine AFL competition.

do you read articles through a particular lens? do you only take in information that supports your view? I'm surprised your stunned by anything if you only see what you're looking for.....

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
do you read articles through a particular lens? do you only take in information that supports your view? I'm surprised your stunned by anything if you only see what you're looking for.....

All of us read and see everything through our uniquely personal lens. That sentence leapt out at me. I didn't know he was going to say that so I wasn't looking for it. I read it.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
With our President having stood down effective immediately, what will happen next?

We have two Vice Presidents, Waitslitz and Korda, which one will now be the acting President? Given that Waitslitz has been by Ed’s side along the whole journey, will he continue to serve on the board?

How will this affect the process of determining a new President?

This has put an end to the succession plan, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Poll above 👆
The club will go to s**t. You’ll see. No one could do the job Eddie has done. Eddies biggest mistake was letting Buckley walk over him to take the coaching job but from that who could fault him. All this racism bullshit has over shadowed all the hard work he’s done for the club over the past 23 years. No one will come close to that. The lynch mob won with Eddie ******* campaigners.

I can’t agree that the report was fair and balanced. The term 'structural racism' went well beyond anything that was substantiated in the report. Then you add the term ‘toxic culture’ and the gap between substance and conclusions becomes a gulf. The whole club, from president to boot studder to bar staff, has been smeared.

Definitely agree in retrospect in terms of "toxic culture". I may have gone over the top in terms of "fair and balanced". But as a Pies fan, we've had a president for 20 years whose taught me to go over the top- surely I'm allowed to copy Eddie McGuire's rhetorical style ... right.. um ....

I don't like the term structural racism either, but it is a report written by academics and that's one of the fashionable terms for the what they describe - they haven't exaggerated that term, it's just to us it sounds horrible - but it wasn't written for us or the media - it was written for an organisation that requested it - and the term is defined in the report.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
All of us read and see everything through our uniquely personal lens. That sentence leapt out at me. I didn't know he was going to say that so I wasn't looking for it. I read it.

well i didnt think you were a psychic domie... but the Cassidy's point about the lack of democracy was good, dont you think? You've always said that you didnt like Mcguire...and you think Sizer is a kneejerk .... so who would make a good candidate? Pick someone from anywhere. You can pick Jesus if you like. Pick someone who represents a template of what you're looking for...

And you might put forward your view of what the pies should do in the next few years. Something like ignore Lumumba, counter-sue him.... ignore advice to address policies.... put a f&&& you sign up in front of the club...

I havent read any stuff about your suggestions. Maybe I'm not looking too closely but I'm looking for a plan...

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I take your point and we might have limited applicants, so beggars cant be choosers. I have to admit that I'm not necessarily impressed by business people. They seem to be generally accepted as meeting the requirements of any organisational position, including that of AFL presidents. I think otherwise.

I just watched a video of her giving a speech of her life. It seems she went through something traumatic, left home and then went on to "study at other people's expense" for a number of years... her words. She got spotted by blackmores and then went to aust post. She's self made - of a fashion - which is good. She ran a vitamin company well it seems. I dont see much. I saw her being questioned by a senator about her watches and she didnt appear to like it... she looked under pressure like eddie did at the press conference last week.

she would be constantly under pressure as collingwood president. she might like it on such a constant basis. I dont think many company leaders would like it.

At this stage we’re only talking an interim president until the end of Ed’s term. Good opportunity for whoever fills that void to make a case for permanent appointment.

Her work to turn around Aust Post more what I was alluding to although her efforts at Blackmore’s were very highly regarded.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
At this stage we’re only talking an interim president until the end of Ed’s term. Good opportunity for whoever fills that void to make a case for permanent appointment.

Her work to turn around Aust Post more what I was alluding to although her efforts at Blackmore’s were very highly regarded.

well i'm not one of the regarders. As Domie would say, I think it would be a knee jerk reaction to have a woman..... or anyone other than a white person... or anyone other than someone from a corporation...

on the positive side, they need to be able to wear a suit with a red or blue tie... be slightly overweight and have grey or white tinges in their hair...

well i'm not one of the regarders. As Domie would say, I think it would be a knee jerk reaction to have a woman..... or anyone other than a white person... or anyone other than someone from a corporation...

on the positive side, they need to be able to wear a suit with a red or blue tie... be slightly overweight and have grey or white tinges in their hair...

Only black and white ties at Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

You might need to relocate to the MCC.

So Tom Browne reckons that there's a power struggle between Peter Murphy and Mark Korda, but that Korda will ultimately be victorious.

I dunno about you lot but I really do not want Korda to be President.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Browne be just saying what his Mate Eddie tells him to Report

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
As in a financial payment being made from the Club to Lumumba? To what end? Would that satisfy and silence him? I doubt it. He just wants to see the club and it’s supporters burned to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Think this is an gross exaggeration. The guy isnt evil, and what would he have against the supporters, except for the ones who have directed vitriol at him. He wants an apology for the hurt that was caused, admission of the club's failures, and some financial compensation. A lot of this is already in play.... Eddie just opened old wounds with his denial & narcissism, and made things worse.

The AFL treating the matter seriously, Eddie going, the players statement, a new president's mandate to act on the review's findings - maybe even including a follow up comment from Bucks acknowledging some sort of responsibility / commitment to improve (maybe tricky) - would heal most if not all wounds. Then the club has covered all bases... like it should, as an accountable organisation and leader in the Australian sporting landscape / public eye.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lumumba Settlement.

I hope we continue to learn and initiate change but I also hope we defend and clear our club against any lies or misconceptions spewed out over this attack.
Capturederp.jpg

Back