Prediction What happens next? - Collingwood after Ed

Do you reckon it will be good thing or a bad thing that will be no succession plan now?

• Bad thing - if we could have had an orderly handover, that would have been best for the club

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Good thing - clean slate, new beginnings

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters
If the recent co-football managers is any indication the co-presidents suggests that we're seeking an external candidate.

Maybe it means we have a divided board? Two nominated, we have a six member board, they had a vote, two voted for existing co-VP Korda (Waislitz and Holgate?) and two voted for Murphy (Sizer and Licuria?). They were unable to break the deadlock .... neither candidate was prepared to withdraw for the sake of the club (they want the power of incumbency to help them become the full time President?) and the board collectively thought having two co-Presidents would be a better outcome than drawing lots.

Maybe it means that nobody wanted it? That’d be supported by recent comments by both Ed and David Galbally that it’s hardly a coveted role. If so, that’d be poor form from Waitslitz. You don‘t accept the VP role if you’re not prepared to take over in situations like this. But maybe he was only ever VP to protect Ed’s flank?

Maybe it means we have a divided board? Two nominated, we have a six member board, they had a vote, two voted for existing co-VP Korda (Waislitz and Holgate?) and two voted for Murphy (Sizer and Licuria?). They were unable to break the deadlock .... neither candidate was prepared to withdraw for the sake of the club (they want the power of incumbency to help them become the full time President?) and the board collectively thought having two co-Presidents would be a better outcome than drawing lots.

Maybe it means that nobody wanted it? That’d be supported by recent comments by both Ed and David Galbally that it’s hardly a coveted role. If so, that’d be poor form from Waitslitz. You don‘t accept the VP role if you’re not prepared to take over in situations like this. But maybe he was only ever VP to protect Ed’s flank?
Feels like it will be an external appointment.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
If so, that’d be poor form from Waitslitz. You don‘t accept the VP role if you’re not prepared to take over in situations like this. But maybe he was only ever VP to protect Ed’s flank?

he was there to get a citation on his CV... and for business connections
1613978701628.png

Interesting Waislitz has been so vacant in the last few months considering his global citizen hobby where he puts in the equivalent of $10 to boost his CV

As Global Citizens, we condemn discrimination, exclusion, and marginalization based on race and ethnicity anywhere in the world. An injustice to a Global Citizen anywhere is an injustice to us all.

Racial discrimination fuels a range of systemic issues, including unequal access to health care, poverty, and economic disparities, as well as other barriers to reaching one's full potential and living with dignity.

But evidently not so much at the Pies where he has been vice president for 20 years....

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Some long bows drawn there.

Memo to CFC, this is how it’s done ...

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Definitely agree in retrospect in terms of "toxic culture". I may have gone over the top in terms of "fair and balanced". But as a Pies fan, we've had a president for 20 years whose taught me to go over the top- surely I'm allowed to copy Eddie McGuire's rhetorical style ... right.. um ....

I don't like the term structural racism either, but it is a report written by academics and that's one of the fashionable terms for the what they describe - they haven't exaggerated that term, it's just to us it sounds horrible - but it wasn't written for us or the media - it was written for an organisation that requested it - and the term is defined in the report.

The report did not say there was a "toxic culture". A toxic environment was raised twice. Once in the context that failing to have a culturally safe work place can lead to a toxic environment. The other time was one of the interviewed described a toxic environment at the club. In those contexts I don't see how that fails to be fair.

The report did not say there was a "toxic culture". A toxic environment was raised twice. Once in the context that failing to have a culturally safe work place can lead to a toxic environment. The other time was one of the interviewed described a toxic environment at the club. In those contexts I don't see how that fails to be fair.
Sorry, didn't fact check the claim. idea may have been fair, but excessively persuasive language was used. I'd be expecting a report to be written more formally.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Sorry, didn't fact check the claim. idea may have been fair, but excessively persuasive language was used. I'd be expecting a report to be written more formally.

Maybe so but I feel like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The report has been criticised for not being specific enough. When it provides a specific example of someone describing a toxic environment (the interviewees opinion) it is criticised for the language used.

Maybe so but I feel like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The report has been criticised for not being specific enough. When it provides a specific example of someone describing a toxic environment (the interviewees opinion) it is criticised for the language used.
Using it as an example quote is good. Using it as the author's descriptor like you suggested in the first usage isn't what I'd expect to read in a neutral report.

<Bump>

We’re coming up to eight weeks since Ed stood down - the period of time that the board said it’ll take to find a replacement.

The leads now seem to have gone cold. The speculation has stopped. Everybody seems distracted by the results of footy games ...

... and how much Collingwood is paying ex-players to play well for opposition teams.

Looks like we’re setting things up for a great surprise announcement ...

I’m a keen America’s Cup follower ...

... and recently watched an interview John Bertrand about the last / next America’s Cup cycle.

His name has been floated as a possible candidate for Collingwood President ... and TBH I hadn’t followed him much in recent decades except to note that he must really be getting on in years and had faded quickly out of the public limelight long ago (and noted Vicky Park your comment about him being “yesterday’s man”) ...

... but having now seen a recent (America’s Cup) interview, I wouldn’t have a problem with him at all being CFC President. He’s articulate, thoughtful, no-nonsense, and has very progressive views on sport / role of innovation / role of diversity. It’s a shame he hasn’t joined our board before.

Roverjg

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2014
Surf Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood

... and recently watched an interview John Bertrand about the last / next America’s Cup cycle.

His name has been floated as a possible candidate for Collingwood President ... and TBH I hadn’t followed him much in recent decades except to note that he must really be getting on in years and had faded quickly out of the public limelight long ago (and noted Vicky Park your comment about him being “yesterday’s man”) ...

... but having now seen a recent (America’s Cup) interview, I wouldn’t have a problem with him at all being CFC President. He’s articulate, thoughtful, no-nonsense, and has very progressive views on sport / role of innovation / role of diversity. It’s a shame he hasn’t joined our board before.
He turns 75 later this year. Read an article earlier this year following Ed's departure that he would be interested to have a conversation if approached

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The changes in the boats has been incredible over the last few events. I still remember the ugly, fat, 12m IOR type boats of the 70's and 80's, and they bear no resemblance to the new foilers that are racing!

Pretty sure he has been on our board before, 76, which partly accounts for my ‘yesterday’s man’ reference. I’ve actually had that from the horse’s mouth - I sat next to him at a Collingwood function a few years ago.

I’ll probably get howled down for this - but do we really need another Collingwood ‘old boy’ in the role (as in an old mate of the club)?

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whomever it is that gets the gig, I want them to have the same "teeth" as Ed did with regards to Sydney and their COLA (or whatever they'll call it in 2021) and to Port and their jumpers.

Dig in deep el presidente.

Also hold the AFL to account over the Swans massive discount concessions to have a stranglehold over the best young talent in NSW , which gives them a massive advantage over the rest of the competition

Collingwood2022

Senior List
Mar 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is arguably the most critical appointment for this club over the past 20 years together with the appointment of a new senior coach for 2022. FWIW this would be by wish list regarding the appointment:

(i) No previous connection/affiliation with the club - none whatsoever.
(ii) Strong/proven history in turning around organisations/cultures that have grown stale and have been riddled with conflict.
(iii) A solid understanding of the workings of professional sports organisations but not critical.
(iv) Low media profile.
(v) Well connected and respected within the business community.

This is arguably the most critical appointment for this club over the past 20 years together with the appointment of a new senior coach for 2022. FWIW this would be by wish list regarding the appointment:

(ii) Strong/proven history in turning around organisations/cultures that have grown stale and have been riddled with conflict.
(iii) A solid understanding of the workings of professional sports organisations but not critical.
(iv) Low media profile.

President is higher profile, but I would have thought that the CEO was more important.

Pretty sure he has been on our board before, 76, which partly accounts for my ‘yesterday’s man’ reference. I’ve actually had that from the horse’s mouth - I sat next to him at a Collingwood function a few years ago.

What was he like?

I’ll probably get howled down for this - but do we really need another Collingwood ‘old boy’ in the role (as in an old mate of the club)?

There are “old boys” who like to reminisce about the good old days, they worship the tried and true way of doing things, and they like to surround themselves with like minded folks ...

... and then there are “old boys“ who recognise that the world belongs to future generations, they prefer to provide young folks with opportunities, confidence, mentorship, support, and whatever else they need to succeed.

(iv) Low media profile.

How would you feel about somebody like Mike Fitzpatrick taking on the role? He does tick a lot of your boxes?

(Sometimes things do sound nice in theory, but in practice they make us spew green bile 🤮🤣)

What was he like?

Nice guy, friendly, got along well. It was in fact a function associated with a finals game in 2011 - which we won, in the lead up to the GF.:(

Re the ‘old boys’ definition, and with respect to John, I doubt he’d fall into the second category.

I have no idea who the best candidate would be, and it’s easy for me to be critical from a distance and with no direct involvement. Someone who was as effective as Eddie in his first decade would be great. So long as he/she recognises their use-by date.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
We need a strong achiever with consensus skills and the ability to drive through a program.

No ties with this club but a very thorough understanding of the game - too many businessmen with no understanding of what a football club is about.

This should be viewed as an opportunity to re-forge old values that are as important today as they were when the club was born.

If he leads us through a program of restoring core football over 'socially attuned' programs he will have my support whatever the original results on the ladder. There is much work to be done with a complete restructure and re-invention of the club from the ground up.

Back