Prediction What happens next? - Collingwood after Ed

Do you reckon it will be good thing or a bad thing that will be no succession plan now?

• Bad thing - if we could have had an orderly handover, that would have been best for the club

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Good thing - clean slate, new beginnings

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice guy, friendly, got along well. It was in fact a function associated with a finals game in 2011 - which we won, in the lead up to the GF.:(

Re the ‘old boys’ definition, and with respect to John, I doubt he’d fall into the second category.

I have no idea who the best candidate would be, and it’s easy for me to be critical from a distance and with no direct involvement. Someone who was as effective as Eddie in his first decade would be great. So long as he/she recognises their use-by date.
I read his book following the America's Cup and his constant references to Johnathon Livingstone Seagull really turned me off. It was probably relevant at the time but I really wanted to read about the nuts and bolts of the actual racing.

Bring back Eddie for his second term....

Great sense of humour mate. However when you think about it the only poor decision he made, and it was seismic, was to appoint a past player who had questionable leadership skills as a player and captain into a role that required exceptional and diverse leadership skills.

We need a strong achiever with consensus skills and the ability to drive through a program.

No ties with this club but a very thorough understanding of the game - too many businessmen with no understanding of what a football club is about.

This should be viewed as an opportunity to re-forge old values that are as important today as they were when the club was born.

If he leads us through a program of restoring core football over 'socially attuned' programs he will have my support whatever the original results on the ladder. There is much work to be done with a complete restructure and re-invention of the club from the ground up.
role of the president / board is to ensure proper governance, financial stability and a winning culture

IMO don't want the board over involved in football matters

"too many businessmen with no understanding of what a football club is about."

What did Peggy O'Neal know about a football club when she became president of Richmond? - (yes, Peggy is not a "businessman")

How would you feel about somebody like Mike Fitzpatrick taking on the role? He does tick a lot of your boxes?

(Sometimes things do sound nice in theory, but in practice they make us spew green bile 🤮🤣)

Fitzpatrick does tick most of the boxes but given his past very high level roles, in business and footy, the Presidency of an AFL football club would be a significant step back. Can't see it.

One last thing, the appointment should not be fully/partly based on acquiescing the current PC environment we live in today, please!

role of the president / board is to ensure proper governance, financial stability and a winning culture

IMO don't want the board over involved in football matters

"too many businessmen with no understanding of what a football club is about."

What did Peggy O'Neal know about a football club when she became president of Richmond? - (yes, Peggy is not a "businessman")
You're reading too much into my post.

The role of the president is to be INVESTED with the club, to my mind that means an understanding of the game. I did not say the president needed to be an ex footballer.

We are running a sporting club not a corporation - the aims are VERY different - well run financials should be the province of the treasurer.

Andrew Westacot ceo of grand prix australia is a great choice. So is Steven Gough former chairman of the mcc.

Like to see an atute prudent and shrude business person who knows their stuff and just gets on with it no fuss and smooth operater.

There surely is alot of candidates who fit this criteria.

Time for collingwood to go hunting same applies for its coach and coaching panel

Andrew Westacot ceo of grand prix australia is a great choice. So is Steven Gough former chairman of the mcc.

I had some limited dealings with Gough when he was CEO of the MCC, and was very impressed. But I'm not sure he fits the bill for our President. I also seem to recall him being a Geelong supporter (?). While some separation from our club, and all its crazy and chaotic recent history might be a good thing, I think too much separation might not work. The job requires passion too, passion for our club. Its not an administrative role.

I had some limited dealings with Gough when he was CEO of the MCC, and was very impressed. But I'm not sure he fits the bill for our President. I also seem to recall him being a Geelong supporter (?). While some separation from our club, and all its crazy and chaotic recent history might be a good thing, I think too much separation might not work. The job requires passion too, passion for our club. Its not an administrative role.
The scum have had a string of "captains of industry" presidents in the last 20 odd years - gee that's worked well for them hasn't it.

Core football values come before profit making or corporate skullduggery tactics here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scum have had a string of "captains of industry" presidents in the last 20 odd years - gee that's worked well for them hasn't it.

Core football values come before profit making or corporate skullduggery tactics here.

I don’t see Gough as a captain of industry, more a hardworking administrator and effective leader of a big and high profile organisation. He was good, and I’m a fan.

But I agree with you about Carlton. Long may they appoint the likes of the much missed John Elliott.:p

I don’t see Gough as a captain of industry, more a hardworking administrator and effective leader of a big and high profile organisation. He was good, and I’m a fan.

But I agree with you about Carlton. Long may they appoint the likes of the much missed John Elliott.:p
John Elliott the nose that kept on giving lol.

Make no mistake mate. Eddie being eddie will be somewhere in the background waiting for the club to implode and telling himself that had he stayed it wouldn't have happened. The nature of the beast.

It imploded under his watch

Jimmy Clement has the corporate bona fides and the smarts to stay out of football matters. Most important thing is no egomaniacs.

Would love Jimmy , but unfortunately he is entrenched with Freo and enjoying life back home in the wild wild West

Back