Prediction What happens next? - Collingwood after Ed

Do you reckon it will be good thing or a bad thing that will be no succession plan now?

• Bad thing - if we could have had an orderly handover, that would have been best for the club

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Good thing - clean slate, new beginnings

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Westacot ceo of grand prix australia is a great choice. So is Steven Gough former chairman of the mcc.

Like to see an atute prudent and shrude business person who knows their stuff and just gets on with it no fuss and smooth operater.

There surely is alot of candidates who fit this criteria.

Time for collingwood to go hunting same applies for its coach and coaching panel

As large as the list of potential candidates may be ...

...the fact that it’s an unpaid role (enforced by the club’s articles of association) and is a role that is very public ... and that a fair size of the population of Melbourne will hate you if you don’t deliver them a god-damn Premiership Dynasty , that would whittle down the field somewhat.

...the fact that it’s an unpaid role (enforced by the club’s articles of association) and is a role that is very public ... and that a fair size of the population of Melbourne will hate you if you don’t deliver them a god-damn Premiership Dynasty , that would whittle down the field somewhat.
If you're going to put your hand up, you'd have to be a rabid fan.

We seem to have a lot of expectations on someone doing this role. What does the role actually entail?

If you're going to put your hand up, you'd have to be a rabid fan.

absolutely!

We seem to have a lot of expectations on someone doing this role. What does the role actually entail?

IMO, work with the board to ...

(1) Financial stewardship. Nobody can guarantee premierships, and pointless going bust in an attempt to win ‘em (See what us and Richmond did in the 70’s and 80’s)

(2) Good governance. Pointless winning Premierships if we get busted cheating and the league takes them off us (See Melbourne Storm)

(3) Cultural leadership. Pointless having the best team if the world thinks we’re a bunch of racist troglodytes and nobody will sponsor us, and supporters are embarrassed to take out financial membership or buy merchandise or go to games.

(4) Manage business risk. In the extremely unlikely chance that we get hit by a global pandemic, ensure that contingencies are in place and ensure that there is continuation of the business.

(5) Set the strategic direction of the club. Eg: our foray into women’s sports would not have happened without some drive from the board.

(6) Appoint key roles (eg: CEO) ensure that they’re properly resourced, and hold them to account.

True! This is why McGuire had a mortgage on the role. As well as being a passionate supporter he was also able to leverage of the role re his media interests. Very few people would be in the same boat ie they operate in totally different industries and given that it's non paying, don't have the time to devote to such a role.

absolutely!

(1) Financial stewardship. Nobody can guarantee premierships, and pointless going bust in an attempt to win ‘em (See what us and Richmond did in the 70’s and 80’s)

(2) Good governance. Pointless winning Premierships if we get busted cheating and the league takes them off us (See Melbourne Storm)

(3) Cultural leadership. Pointless having the best team if the world thinks we’re a bunch of racist troglodytes and nobody will sponsor us, and supporters are embarrassed to take out financial membership or buy merchandise or go to games.

(4) Manage business risk. In the extremely unlikely chance that we get hit by a global pandemic, ensure that contingencies are in place and ensure that there is continuation of the business.

(5) Set the strategic direction of the club. Eg: our foray into women’s sports would not have happened without some drive from the board.

(6) Appoint key roles (eg: CEO) ensure that they’re properly resourced, and hold them to account.

Agree with most of your points however if I may regarding point (3), I think maybe a good majority of supporters might turn a blind eye if the club was winning flags. Maybe not given the current environment.

absolutely!

Appointing a gun Head of Football is probably more critical than having a gun CEO as the head of footy has oversight over coaches, list management, recruiting etc.

This is why I have been a big fan of the Graham Wright appointment, just a shrewd footballer operator who gets it.

Gee Christine Holgate was really stitched up by our PM and Australia Post if this is true. After reading this maybe she should put up her hand.

Describing the period as “the most harrowing 10 days of my career”, Holgate said her reputation and career were “thrown under the bus” without justification and was scathing of chairman Lucio Di Bartolomeo, who she said treated her “like a criminal”.

“The chair of Australia Post not only unlawfully stood me down, he lied repeatedly to the Australian people and to their Parliament about his actions. Time after time he has made statements that I had agreed to stand down when I had done no such thing. The evidence in this submission is irrefutable and I urge you to read it in full,” Holgate wrote in the submission published on Tuesday.

She claims she was being “hung” for “rewarding four outstanding executives for delivering a landmark agreement, which saved many community post offices”.

“At no point did either Minister Paul Fletcher or the Prime Minister in their addresses to Parliament acknowledge the watch reward occurred two years ago, for securing the largest investment into the community post offices or that they had been approved by the previous chair,” Holgate wrote.

Holgate joined Australia Post in October 2017 after a nine-year run as chief executive of Blackmores and is widely credited with transforming the vitamin company into a billion-dollar behemoth. She oversaw a rise in the share price from $18 to about $90 at the time of her departure, with the stock peaking at $220 in 2016.

I think a lot of people have this notion that the Club President gets paid.
Certainly a lot of those who shitcan Ed for his decades of unpaid work for the club.

I think a lot of people have this notion that the Club President gets paid.
Certainly a lot of those who shitcan Ed for his decades of unpaid work for the club.

I think you'll find that most supporters realise that the President doesn't get paid. It's irrelevant whether McGuire got paid or not. He should still be subject to scrutiny when he has made poor decisions.

Gee Christine Holgate was really stitched up by our PM and Australia Post if this is true. After reading this maybe she should put up her hand.

Describing the period as “the most harrowing 10 days of my career”, Holgate said her reputation and career were “thrown under the bus” without justification and was scathing of chairman Lucio Di Bartolomeo, who she said treated her “like a criminal”.

“The chair of Australia Post not only unlawfully stood me down, he lied repeatedly to the Australian people and to their Parliament about his actions. Time after time he has made statements that I had agreed to stand down when I had done no such thing. The evidence in this submission is irrefutable and I urge you to read it in full,” Holgate wrote in the submission published on Tuesday.

She claims she was being “hung” for “rewarding four outstanding executives for delivering a landmark agreement, which saved many community post offices”.

“At no point did either Minister Paul Fletcher or the Prime Minister in their addresses to Parliament acknowledge the watch reward occurred two years ago, for securing the largest investment into the community post offices or that they had been approved by the previous chair,” Holgate wrote.

Holgate joined Australia Post in October 2017 after a nine-year run as chief executive of Blackmores and is widely credited with transforming the vitamin company into a billion-dollar behemoth. She oversaw a rise in the share price from $18 to about $90 at the time of her departure, with the stock peaking at $220 in 2016.

An absolute disgrace.. The PM and chairman need to be called out.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appointing a gun Head of Football is probably more critical than having a gun CEO as the head of footy has oversight over coaches, list management, recruiting etc.

This is why I have been a big fan of the Graham Wright appointment, just a shrewd footballer operator who gets it.
Hopefully see the fruit soon enough, won't be this year.

I think you'll find that most supporters realise that the President doesn't get paid. It's irrelevant whether McGuire got paid or not. He should still be subject to scrutiny when he has made poor decisions.
You are jumping to the conclusion that I am in some way saying McGuire was immune to scrutiny?
Scrutiny is a part of the job.
Some people though are just plain whingers.
There are members of this board who whined that Ed should be replaced, should not run unopposed at elections, that never once offered a viable alternative or got off their hypocritical arses and put their hands up. Not once in two decades.

Who is the current President?

Yep. Exactly. No-one.

An absolute disgrace.. The PM and chairman need to be called out.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Morrison wanted a distraction from his Governments huge failings, something to rant about, make him sound more like a real Aussie male, and give the appearance he was not raping the country financially, environmentally and as it turns out possibly actually..

Absolutely critical moment in the clubs history coming up.
A new and inexperienced President who's likely first task will be to attract a new senior coach.
It's a concern.

Ed in his prime was a President who always dreamed big, no coach was un-gettable. Someone with the credentials of Alistair Clarkson would top the list.

I fear a new President won't be capable of such a coup. An inexperienced and unproven President may also be risk adverse and unwilling to risk their new reputation on an untried coach.

And therefore I can see us ending up appointing an uninspired but safer choice like Brad Scott or Micheal Voss.

I hope in the future we don't look back at this moment as the point where we became an unstable club with a revolving door of senior coaches.

Absolutely critical moment in the clubs history coming up.
A new and inexperienced President who's likely first task will be to attract a new senior coach.
It's a concern.

Ed in his prime was a President who always dreamed big, no coach was un-gettable. Someone with the credentials of Alistair Clarkson would top the list.

I fear a new President won't be capable of such a coup. An inexperienced and unproven President may also be risk adverse and unwilling to risk their new reputation on an untried coach.

And therefore I can see us ending up appointing an uninspired but safer choice like Brad Scott or Micheal Voss.

I hope in the future we don't look back at this moment as the point where we became an unstable club with a revolving door of senior coaches.
Maybe Graham Wright could help steer us to our next coach?

Back