Prediction What happens next?

Do you reckon it will be good thing or a bad thing that will be no succession plan now?

• Bad thing - if we could have had an orderly handover, that would have been best for the club

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Good thing - clean slate, new beginnings

Votes: 46 78.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

76woodenspooners

Premium Platinum
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the recent co-football managers is any indication the co-presidents suggests that we're seeking an external candidate.
Maybe it means we have a divided board? Two nominated, we have a six member board, they had a vote, two voted for existing co-VP Korda (Waislitz and Holgate?) and two voted for Murphy (Sizer and Licuria?). They were unable to break the deadlock .... neither candidate was prepared to withdraw for the sake of the club (they want the power of incumbency to help them become the full time President?) and the board collectively thought having two co-Presidents would be a better outcome than drawing lots.

Maybe it means that nobody wanted it? That’d be supported by recent comments by both Ed and David Galbally that it’s hardly a coveted role. If so, that’d be poor form from Waitslitz. You don‘t accept the VP role if you’re not prepared to take over in situations like this. But maybe he was only ever VP to protect Ed’s flank?

jmac70

Premium Gold
Apr 10, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dan Andrews
Maybe it means we have a divided board? Two nominated, we have a six member board, they had a vote, two voted for existing co-VP Korda (Waislitz and Holgate?) and two voted for Murphy (Sizer and Licuria?). They were unable to break the deadlock .... neither candidate was prepared to withdraw for the sake of the club (they want the power of incumbency to help them become the full time President?) and the board collectively thought having two co-Presidents would be a better outcome than drawing lots.

Maybe it means that nobody wanted it? That’d be supported by recent comments by both Ed and David Galbally that it’s hardly a coveted role. If so, that’d be poor form from Waitslitz. You don‘t accept the VP role if you’re not prepared to take over in situations like this. But maybe he was only ever VP to protect Ed’s flank?
Feels like it will be an external appointment.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Margot Robbie's Shaving Team...
If so, that’d be poor form from Waitslitz. You don‘t accept the VP role if you’re not prepared to take over in situations like this. But maybe he was only ever VP to protect Ed’s flank?
he was there to get a citation on his CV... and for business connections
1613978701628.png

Interesting Waislitz has been so vacant in the last few months considering his global citizen hobby where he puts in the equivalent of $10 to boost his CV

As Global Citizens, we condemn discrimination, exclusion, and marginalization based on race and ethnicity anywhere in the world. An injustice to a Global Citizen anywhere is an injustice to us all.

Racial discrimination fuels a range of systemic issues, including unequal access to health care, poverty, and economic disparities, as well as other barriers to reaching one's full potential and living with dignity.

But evidently not so much at the Pies where he has been vice president for 20 years....

Timmy from Thomastown

TheBrownDog
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Some long bows drawn there.

Quicky

Brownlow Medallist
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Definitely agree in retrospect in terms of "toxic culture". I may have gone over the top in terms of "fair and balanced". But as a Pies fan, we've had a president for 20 years whose taught me to go over the top- surely I'm allowed to copy Eddie McGuire's rhetorical style ... right.. um ....

I don't like the term structural racism either, but it is a report written by academics and that's one of the fashionable terms for the what they describe - they haven't exaggerated that term, it's just to us it sounds horrible - but it wasn't written for us or the media - it was written for an organisation that requested it - and the term is defined in the report.
The report did not say there was a "toxic culture". A toxic environment was raised twice. Once in the context that failing to have a culturally safe work place can lead to a toxic environment. The other time was one of the interviewed described a toxic environment at the club. In those contexts I don't see how that fails to be fair.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
The report did not say there was a "toxic culture". A toxic environment was raised twice. Once in the context that failing to have a culturally safe work place can lead to a toxic environment. The other time was one of the interviewed described a toxic environment at the club. In those contexts I don't see how that fails to be fair.
Sorry, didn't fact check the claim. idea may have been fair, but excessively persuasive language was used. I'd be expecting a report to be written more formally.

Last edited:

Quicky

Brownlow Medallist
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Sorry, didn't fact check the claim. idea may have been fair, but excessively persuasive language was used. I'd be expecting a report to be written more formally.
Maybe so but I feel like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The report has been criticised for not being specific enough. When it provides a specific example of someone describing a toxic environment (the interviewees opinion) it is criticised for the language used.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe so but I feel like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The report has been criticised for not being specific enough. When it provides a specific example of someone describing a toxic environment (the interviewees opinion) it is criticised for the language used.
Using it as an example quote is good. Using it as the author's descriptor like you suggested in the first usage isn't what I'd expect to read in a neutral report.

Remove this Banner Ad