Discussion What happens to AFL Guernseys after they've been worn at a match?

108CAM

Always Hunting For Lost Football Club Songs
May 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Draw FC, The Bye
This is something I've been wondering for quite some time. I know some are sold to raise money for charity, eg. for the Indigenous round or Richmond's Alannah & Madeline Foundation match.
I'm wondering what happens to all the standard guernseys used throughout the season. Do the players get to keep them? Are they washed and reused for future games?
I'm assuming the guernseys are fairly expensive to make considering how small Australia's textile manufacturing industry is.
Does anyone know what happens to the guernseys after they've been worn for a match?

blackbelair

Senior List
Jun 29, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m going to say washed and reworn with obvs a few being kept by players and sold etc etc etc

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Home & Away jumpers are washed and used the next week.
One-Off jumpers are designated before their use where they will be disposed of.
In some cases the charity they are representing are given the jumpers to sell in their own time.
Others are sold at auction.
These auctions can be online, or in person at club functions.
Some players prefer to keep one-off jumpers, and make arrangements with the club to get them back, usually after being washed.
At the end of the season the un-used jumpers will go to club sponsors, player sponsors, gifts to companies that supplied the club etc.
Some are given to employees who are leaving after long years of service.
Some are used for training kits, or clash jumpers for intra-club practice matches.
The simple answer is, they go to a variety of places, and each club would do something different to the next.
These days clubs get new jumpers every year.
There are a few that get used again, like some of the Indigenous jumpers, and this year Port used their 2021 Home jumpers for their Russell Ebert tribute jumper.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
always wondered how many backups they get per number. e.g. if a player is getting in stouches and gets a ripped guernsey a couple times a year, do they have to order more or have enough to cover it?

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
always wondered how many backups they get per number. e.g. if a player is getting in stouches and gets a ripped guernsey a couple times a year, do they have to order more or have enough to cover it?
They will get a few made as extras in each size, as well as the two of each they make for the blood rule.
So Essendon for example, will get:
2 x every jumper number for Home jumper
2 x every jumper number for Away jumper
2 x every jumper number for Clash jumper
2 x every jumper number for Anzac jumper
2 x every jumper number for Indigenous jumper
2 x every jumper number for Clash for Cancer jumper
2 x every jumper number for Home VFL jumper
2 x every jumper number for Clash VFL jumper
2 x every jumper number for Indigenous VFL jumper
Then there will be a certain number of each jumper in each size, which can have numbers heat pressed onto them.
If a jumper is ripped, the player will wear the back-up version of the same jumper.
Then an un-numbered jumper will have numbers heat-pressed onto them and be used as the back up.
This jumper may be a retail version, and may not have the GPS pocket.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
St Kilda used to sell old jumpers at family days, and Port Melbourne had a bunch in thier merch booth, but neither seem to be the case any more. Port sold their match worn heritage game jumpers for a few years, I have 3 of them. Unsure if they did it this year or not.

Sometimes unworn player issued jumpers come up for sale online, but it's pretty rare.

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Possibly all AFL clubs (I know Port for sure) have locker room sales at the end of the season where they sell any left over player issue and match worn gear. It includes league guernseys, training guernseys and singlet, run out tops, shorts, socks and I think even players gear bags IIRC. I have seen South Adelaide heritage guernseys on eBay before as well.

GoldbergsGold

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
this year Port used their 2021 Home jumpers for their Russell Ebert tribute jumper.
That happens sometimes where clubs reuse the previous season's guernsey. Primus wore Port's 2004 guernsey in 2005, and Port wore their 2015 Showdown guernsey in 2016.

GoldbergsGold

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
They will get a few made as extras in each size, as well as the two of each they make for the blood rule.
So Essendon for example, will get:
2 x every jumper number for Home jumper
2 x every jumper number for Away jumper
2 x every jumper number for Clash jumper
2 x every jumper number for Anzac jumper
2 x every jumper number for Indigenous jumper
2 x every jumper number for Clash for Cancer jumper
2 x every jumper number for Home VFL jumper
2 x every jumper number for Clash VFL jumper
2 x every jumper number for Indigenous VFL jumper
Then there will be a certain number of each jumper in each size, which can have numbers heat pressed onto them.
If a jumper is ripped, the player will wear the back-up version of the same jumper.
Then an un-numbered jumper will have numbers heat-pressed onto them and be used as the back up.
This jumper may be a retail version, and may not have the GPS pocket.
In 2008, Melbourne v Geelong round 19 game a player ripped their heritage guernsey and they had to wear the number 88 as a replacement from memory.

Back