List Mgmt. What Happens To Our Young Players If We Are Not in the SANFL in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
The SANFL are looking at an 8 team comp. That means no SANFL for our developing players. What do they do?

1.Nothing? Just train?
2.Scratch matches against the Cows and whoever else is in the same boat (subject to interstate travel restrictions)?
3. Join the VFL for one year?
4. Join the amateur league?
5. Go back to a model where our reserves are farmed out to SANFL clubs?

I don’t know the answer. But we need our depth players match fit and ready to go. Option 1 isn’t good enough. Option 3 is too expensive, given the climate.

Are there other options if the SANFL goes to 8 teams?

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Playing both teams in the Adelaide Football League would not go well from what I can see. It makes a bit of sense in the Hills since the talent in that area is of a higher profile, but it still wouldn't be good for the AFL teams since there just aren't enough resources for the amateur leagues to provide.

We might just have to up the stakes for intraclub matches.

Why wouldn't we be in the SANFL in 2020?? Because the AFL wont let the AFL players train / play before the SANFL kicks off. That's not an argument that is sustainable given the AFL will be financially propping up the WAFL, SANFL etc in 2020 and probably 2021 as well, as they will be their bankers.

If the SANFL don't let the Port and crows play I assume that means the licence fee payment over 15 years to the SANFL by the 2 clubs will be suspended ie $450k and $730k respectively. The crows are also paying about $430,000 to play in the SANFL. Surely that is suspended if the crows can't field a team??

A smart way thru this - but let's remember the AFL are control freaks - is that if WAFL and SANFL and even NEAFL start before AFL, VFL wont start before the the AFL, is;

* Both Port and the crows have to play a minimum say 8 or 10 of their community club players inc leadership players ie Goldsack Port, ???? crows.

* AFL gives permission for all Cat A and Cat B rookie players to start training early and can play in state league.
(Port 6 rookies + 1 Cat B, crows 6 rookies + 0 Cat B, Freo 6 rookies + 3 Cat B, WCE 6 rookies + 0 Cat B)

* AFL allow each club to nominate another 6-12 of their primary list players to start training early - they have to be considered the lowest ranked players on the list, not that hard to put in a clause that it has to be realistic list, and these players can't be selected for AFL until 3 games after AFL kicks off or the 2 clubs have less than 22 players fit, only then can they select any of those players that were on that 6-12 list.

So for the 2 AFL clubs they could have a squad that trains together something like this;
Port 10 community players, 7 rookies, 8 AFL bottom end listed players = 25
crows 10 community players, 6 rookies, 9 AFL bottom end listed players = 25
If they end up getting lots of injuries then dip into community player pool for more players. The AFL listed players only can train with SANFL squad if the AFL wet their pants they are getting some massive advantage.

I just don't see why the SANFL have to start without the 2 AFL reserve sides in the comp.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Why wouldn't we be in the SANFL in 2020?? Because the AFL wont let the AFL players train / play before the SANFL kicks off. That's not an argument that is sustainable given the AFL will be financially propping up the WAFL, SANFL etc in 2020 and probably 2021 as well, as they will be their bankers.

If the SANFL don't let the Port and crows play I assume that means the licence fee payment over 15 years to the SANFL by the 2 clubs will be suspended ie $450k and $730k respectively. The crows are also paying about $430,000 to play in the SANFL. Surely that is suspended if the crows can't field a team??

A smart way thru this - but let's remember the AFL are control freaks - is that if WAFL and SANFL and even NEAFL start before AFL, VFL wont start before the the AFL, is;

* Both Port and the crows have to play a minimum say 8 or 10 of their community club players inc leadership players ie Goldsack Port, ???? crows.

* AFL gives permission for all Cat A and Cat B rookie players to start training early and can play in state league.
(Port 6 rookies + 1 Cat B, crows 6 rookies + 0 Cat B, Freo 6 rookies + 3 Cat B, WCE 6 rookies + 0 Cat B)

* AFL allow each club to nominate another 6-12 of their primary list players to start training early - they have to be considered the lowest ranked players on the list, not that hard to put in a clause that it has to be realistic list, and these players can't be selected for AFL until 3 games after AFL kicks off or the 2 clubs have less than 22 players fit, only then can they select any of those players that were on that 6-12 list.

So for the 2 AFL clubs they could have a squad that trains together something like this;
Port 10 community players, 7 rookies, 8 AFL bottom end listed players = 25
crows 10 community players, 6 rookies, 9 AFL bottom end listed players = 25
If they end up getting lots of injuries then dip into community player pool for more players. The AFL listed players only can train with SANFL squad if the AFL wet their pants they are getting some massive advantage.

I just don't see why the SANFL have to start without the 2 AFL reserve sides in the comp.

The SANFL have publically stated that they are planning for an 8 team comp and a 10 team comp.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Come next year lists won’t be large enough anyway. Crows will leave the Sanfl. Sanfl won’t want to lose a magpies team so they will go back to how it was. A Pamfc club. 2 ceos , 2 clubs. Training back at ethelton. A mini draft for the 9 clubs To fit the players needing a Sanfl side
Don't come here & bloody troll crap. Port will always be at Alberton. Port moto .... Never tear us apart. Do you know why we have that ???

Last edited:
RossFC
How can they sustain reserves sides if lists are cut to 35. That’s 10 of the list.
Breaking our club in half isn't sustainable, nor is it morally right.

List sizes to 35 is a crap idea also. I'd do 43 players on reduced pay + SANFL captain + give our zones back and under 18s can round out the side.

Remove the SANFL reserves comp also and rely on under 18s so development of players in this state improves.

Hong-Kong Phooey

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2011
i have no idea
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man United
If lists were cut to 35 then we may have to consider a crows / port composite team in another comp. Of course I don't like the idea, which is why I'd say not to do it on sanfl. Maybe a combines national reserves team to split the travel costs. It would have to play under a state banner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
RossFC
How can they sustain reserves sides if lists are cut to 35. That’s 10 of the list.

This thread is about 2020, not 2021.

Can I suggest that if you want to peddle that crap, you go somewhere where the footy IQ is borderline disabled and where there are less signs of intelligent life than in the burning pits of Mercury....oh wait, that’s where you came from.

The SANFL have publically stated that they are planning for an 8 team comp and a 10 team comp.
I just find it hard to envisage the SANFL doing it if the AFL says we don't like it.

Rob Kerin and Joel Parkinson aren't Max Basheer and Leigh Whicker up against Oakley and Schwab in 1990.

But lets say it goes ahead and its an 8 team comp. Port (and the crows) will fight hard to to stop this happening, so that means the AFL has capitulated, so they can pay for us to play in the VFL or against other AFL reserves teams.

If McGowan keeps insisting no fly in fly out in WA, then move the full 2 WA clubs' squads to SA for a hub and that's at least 3 games, maybe 6 games all the B grades could play.

Last edited:

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Presumably, as all clubs are in the same boat. Practice match before or after the AFL game ? Ideally immediately after or the next morning so that that way the emergencies get a run.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I just find it hard to envisage the SANFL doing it if the AFL says we don't like it.

Rob Kerin and Joel Parkinson aren't Max Basheer and Leigh Whicker up against Oakley and Schwab in 1990.

But lets say it goes ahead and its an 8 team comp. Port (and the crows) will fight hard to to stop this happening, so that means the AFL has capitulated, so they can pay for us to play in the VFL or against other AFL reserves teams.

If McGowan keeps insisting no fly in fly out in WA, then move the full 2 WA clubs' squads to SA for a hub and that's at least 3 games, maybe 6 games all the B grades could play.
Post#2 suggests no AFL in the VFL either. I hadn’t heard that but if true, it means the AFL May ban Port playing in the SANFL for “parity”.
My guess is that if there are no hubs, it’ll be business as usual in the SANFL but if there are hubs, even for 7 weeks, clubs will take 30-32 players, leaving the second tier unmanageable for the AFL clubs.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Come next year lists won’t be large enough anyway. Crows will leave the Sanfl. Sanfl won’t want to lose a magpies team so they will go back to how it was. A Pamfc club. 2 ceos , 2 clubs. Training back at ethelton. A mini draft for the 9 clubs To fit the players needing a Sanfl side
lol

Post#2 suggests no AFL in the VFL either. I hadn’t heard that but if true, it means the AFL May ban Port playing in the SANFL for “parity”.
My guess is that if there are no hubs, it’ll be business as usual in the SANFL but if there are hubs, even for 7 weeks, clubs will take 30-32 players, leaving the second tier unmanageable for the AFL clubs.
VFL has;

Stand alone clubs - Williamstown, Werrribee, Port Melbourne, Coburg, Frankston

Reserves teams - Richmond, Footscray, Geelong, Essendon, North Melbourne, Geelong

Affiliated teams - Sandringham, Casey Demons, Northern Blues, Box Hill Hawks although Box Hill is not owned by Hawthorn but they consolidate their results because of the legal set up.

So it is a bit more complicated than the SANFL as there is more mixing of community players and AFL listed players.

Lloyd on Footy Classified tonight said some stand alone club officials contacted him and said they were disappointed they had not heard from the AFL. He said he was told (by one of VFL clubs) "A boss of an AFL club has said to put the VFL out of its misery in 2020." ie wipe VFL out in 2020 and not have a comp.

Lloyd said Hawthorn have told Box Hill can't have any Hawks player, Eddie buts in - Carlton have done theirs, Melbourne I don't think want to give players to Casey, and St Kilda for a fact have said Sandringham you wont be having any of our players.

So what is going to happen? The attitude coming out of AFL and that 8 person panel - 4 club presidents and 4 AFL commissioners - is its one in all in. So expect Port and the crows ( and other 6 non Vic teams) to have to do what the Vic teams have to do.

Last edited:

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
You may be laughing now but you will not be able to sustain an afl reserves side. No club will.

Options will be
The 18 clubs all have an affiliated SANFL/WAFL/VFL/NEAFL club to send all of their extra players to. EG Box Hill for Hawks. Port Magpies for Power
or
The extra players get spread out across the clubs in the SANFL/VFL/WAFL/NEAFL via mini drafts depending on which state the club is from. Port and Crows players to the SANFL. Crows leaving the SANFL and Port becoming a stand alone SANFL club with their zones and juniors returned.

I thought you would like the option B. I think thats the way to go rather than have two SANFL clubs with all the AFl players going back to it. Imagine Crows being affiliated to say Norwood.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
You may be laughing now but you will not be able to sustain an afl reserves side. No club will.

Options will be
The 18 clubs all have an affiliated SANFL/WAFL/VFL/NEAFL club to send all of their extra players to. EG Box Hill for Hawks. Port Magpies for Power
or
The extra players get spread out across the clubs in the SANFL/VFL/WAFL/NEAFL via mini drafts depending on which state the club is from. Port and Crows players to the SANFL. Crows leaving the SANFL and Port becoming a stand alone SANFL club with their zones and juniors returned.

I thought you would like the option B. I think thats the way to go rather than have two SANFL clubs with all the AFl players going back to it. Imagine Crows being affiliated to say Norwood.

No wonder you've got so few likes.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
This thread is about 2020, not 2021.

Can I suggest that if you want to peddle that crap, you go somewhere where the footy IQ is borderline disabled and where there are less signs of intelligent life than in the burning pits of Mercury....oh wait, that’s where you came from.
Nice bloke/chick arnt you. I was just stating facts. I didnt come in hear to stir the pot or troll. Obviously this year wont change. Why would it? SANFL is now not starting until after AFL so Port and Crows will continue this year as they are for this season. Next year not so much.

Options will be
or

You keep talking as if we actually give a * about the SANFL.
We love Ports, not those leeches. If it hurts Port they can go * themselves.

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Options will be
or

I think you would benefit greatly from having a loved one proofread before hitting reply. Whenever you come here trying to troll, I have no idea what your argument is supposed to be. Makes it very difficult to get mad at your posts.

My understanding is 'OPTION 1: Our players play for the Port Magpies' is what we already have, so...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back