List Mgmt. What Happens To Our Young Players If We Are Not in the SANFL in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

No AFL in SANFL in 2020, or in WAFL or VFL or NEAFL.

FOOTBALLERS not selected for their AFL side this year could instead compete in scratch matches against players in the same position at other clubs.

The AFL is understood to be contemplating alternative playing arrangements after telling clubs on Tuesday that no AFL footballers will be permitted to play in second-tier competitions in 2020.

That decision is based upon the part-time nature of those competitions not enabling AFL-listed players to adhere to the strict medical protocols that will be in place this season.

The move to consider scratch matches for overlooked AFL footballers means they will potentially be able to push their case for senior selection beyond just training.It will help ease the fears of fringe players, particularly those out of contract, who could have been faced with the possibility of playing no football in 2020.

However, there are complications with this set-up, given the length of injury lists and number of available players can be drastically different from club to club. That could lead to condensed games, less players on each team, or possibly even a situation where footballers on rival clubs might play alongside one another if necessary.

Any such matches would be held in a controlled environment, in line with AFL and government guidelines.

AFL 12's AFL 15's here we come.

The above ruling works for Vic clubs - they have 10 teams to play each other without jumping on a plane.

If WA clubs are forced to move to Victoria then that makes 12 teams. Other 6 teams will then have to come up with a solution.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The SANFL will be an eight-team competition in 2020 after the AFL barred the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide from fielding players in a state league competition.
The AFL has told clubs in a memo that no listed player will be permitted to participate in a second-tier competition in 2020 as part of the league’s return to training and playing.

It means that on the anniversary of the club’s inception the Port Adelaide Magpies will not SANFL for the first time.

Crows players will also be barred from playing in the SANFL this year under the AFL directive.

The move from the league comes because the part-time nature of the SANFL does not allow for the AFL-listed players to adhere to the strict medical protocols that will be in place for the national 2020 season.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
SANFL confirms in AFL in the SANFL.

You mean NO AFL:

SANFL can confirm that the Port Adelaide and Adelaide Football Clubs will not field teams in the SANFL Statewide Super League competition in 2020.

This follows the AFL’s decision not to allow AFL-listed players to play in state leagues for the remainder of the 2020 AFL season.

SANFL Chief Executive Officer Jake Parkinson said while it was a disappointing outcome for the two AFL Clubs and their supporters, SANFL now had further clarity on its 2020 season.

“We now know it will be an eight-team SANFL competition in 2020 and we can move forward with our planning for a 14-minor round fixture to commence as soon as restrictions enable us to,” Mr Parkinson said.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I bet the server of that pissant little SANFL bulletin board will melt down in the next hour or two :D

SANFL crowds will be so low, the government will encourage attendance as a means of self isolating. You will be safer at an SANFL game than at home.

We will need to take all available players with us on any away games/hubs. That is the only way we get meaningful development into our second tier players.
Unfortunately the AFL is being tight with the purse strings and doesn't want the clubs to pay anything for 2nd tiered costs.

WCE could tell them to * off, but all 7 other non Vic sides will be reliant on the AFL for funding.

If the 2 WA teams form a Vic hub with their 10 teams then it becomes an issue and disadvantage for the other 6 teams, if they don't join a hub of at least 4 teams.

Only way it could work is if broadcasters - ie Fox Footy would pay for a reserves style comp. But it would probably have to be AFL 12's or 15's given the injury list issues, and have to mean something for them to pay any $$$ as they wont pay some $$$ for scratch matches with only B graders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Port in the SANFL on our 150th.

Perrrfect
It reminds me of when the club opted to break a long standing tradition and go with co-captains on Fos Williams' birthday. Just awful timing.

so the SANFL will be part-time aka amateur not professional this year, so AFL-listed players cannot compete, as the SANFL's medical standards are too amateur?

fu** yes! Absolutely awesome news! Let's ******* leave this shithole for good.
If the Prison Bars was our home jumper at AFL level, I'd be jumping for joy right now. But I feel like this makes the battle harder. Would really hurt if we joined a national reserves comp in 2021 with the BIB jumper.

If the Prison Bars was our home jumper at AFL level, I'd be jumping for joy right now. But I feel like this makes the battle harder. Would really hurt if we joined a national reserves comp in 2021 with the BIB jumper.

Victory never comes without sacrifice. We'll push even harder.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I think now is the time, been saying it for days. We need to press for the PB's as our jumper as everyone knows it should - apart from Eddie and probably Gillon.

We need to be ramping up campaign, get Cometti and Leigh Matthews to name a few to start backing it in as a national bloody treasure, we are too timid and gutless to rock the boat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back