List Mgmt. What Happens To Our Young Players If We Are Not in the SANFL in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We just don't take care of our own destiny. Sure, you can't plan for a pandemic but our sanfl involvement was always skating on thin ice because we buckled so easily. It's not this year that worries me it's the future. Last thing I want is afl lists cut and reserves spread across the bloody sanfl again because the sanfl commission doesn't allow for a Port side in the sanfl again.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We just don't take care of our own destiny. Sure, you can't plan for a pandemic but our sanfl involvement was always skating on thin ice because we buckled so easily. It's not this year that worries me it's the future. Last thing I want is afl lists cut and reserves spread across the bloody sanfl again because the sanfl commission doesn't allow for a Port side in the sanfl again.

I got a very bad feeling I have seen my last game at Alberton forever.

1. The SANFL clubs don't want AFL sides even though we have a 15 year agreement.
2. AFL lists will be cut right back.
3. Financially a lot of clubs will be screwed after this year for a very long time.

To announce this decision today is seriously taking the piss.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Up until now is been the states enforcing their hard borders which have been stymying the AFL getting games under way; now it's the AFL saying that those states' infection management regimes can't be trusted to allow AFL players to participate in state leagues - brinkmanship, or blind stupidity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad rotation due to the compressed season will be far greater, players who shouldn't be playing AFL will probably get games.
No real need for reserves this year.

Should SANFL players be getting job keeper payment?
If the SANFL clubs have lost 30% of their revenue they fall into the relevant category. If they pay their players a base wage then they legally qualify, but the SANFL clubs have to pay the players first then the clubs get reimbursed by the government.

If the players only get match payments then it becomes a mirkier situation.

Businesses are basically self assessing with the ATO only really checking the business monthly revenue figures not the full employment arrangements.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What I find is ridiculous is the AFL really can do anything.

An AFL reserves competition with unlimited benches and even a 50 player list is possible - it’s just numbers. FoxteL/Channel 7 would pLay it and there would be some $$ value for The increased content. Especially If there were a few retired stars playing in it as they transition out. Through sponsorship the hotel/flights would cover a % of that cost.

They could tell clubs to cap player payments at X from 2022. They could reduce the max payment. They could quarter AFL house. They could reduce clubs business cap. They could put a tax on rich clubs which pay for GWS, GC and the struggling clubs.

This pandemic is the perfect way to cut all the ridiculous costs and work to a fair competition.

And this frees the AFL from its inefficient entanglement with State Leagues.

The players association/Union is the biggest hurdle. I dare say that the Stars of the interstate clubs on big coin would prefer a fair competition and reduced $$ which gives them a better chance of winning a premiership. The poor vic clubs would also like a better chance at it.

So, if our young players in 2020 play in a Reserves type scratch matches I’m fine with that but only if the AFL Is working towards a fair competition - not if it goes back to the bullshit it is/was...

So if there is going to be a 6 team Qld hub and the 2 NSW teams either base themselves up there or fly in and out of there only for the first 5-7 games then that probably solves who our young players play against for 5-7 games.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So if there is going to be a 6 team Qld hub and the 2 NSW teams either base themselves up there or fly in and out of there only for the first 5-7 games then that probably solves who our young players play against for 5-7 games.

would it be an issue that we have already played Goldcoast?

would it be an issue that we have already played Goldcoast?
Why? Its just 1 less game the A graders play in the hub but nothing stop the B graders playing GC B graders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back