Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
lol as if people are still banging that drum that fielding the Magpies is an issue financially

If the PAFC exists, they can afford to get their reserves players to play SANFL.

The question is can the SANFL survive without the millions in revenue they drain from AFL footy and Port.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Over on the 2020 draft thread we are posting about delisting players like Cox, Grudy, Fredericks and Woodcock. That seems pretty rough when those players may not get a chance to play a game of footy this year. How does a kid show his worth if he cannot play?

The villians are the AFL as they have decided that players are not available to other leagues in 2020. I would be happy enough for players that are not used at AFL level to be shared around the SANFL but even that cannot happen.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Over on the 2020 draft thread we are posting about delisting players like Cox, Grudy, Fredericks and Woodcock. That seems pretty rough when those players may not get a chance to play a game of footy this year. How does a kid show his worth if he cannot play?

The villians are the AFL as they have decided that players are not available to other leagues in 2020. I would be happy enough for players that are not used at AFL level to be shared around the SANFL but even that cannot happen.
Surely the AFL ease the rules surrounding compulsory end of year deletions to allow some of these young untried players to get a chance to prove themselves. Otherwise we will see AFL-quality players being given the cut, just so we can rotate some more unproven kids though the list. Thats crazy!

Far better to keeps lists stable, and only cut those that a club has to cut, and then let all the under-18 kids who dont get drafted get an extra run in their state leagues next year.

Surely!

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely the AFL ease the rules surrounding compulsory end of year deletions to allow some of these young untried players to get a chance to prove themselves. Otherwise we will see AFL-quality players being given the cut, just so we can rotate some more unproven kids though the list. Thats crazy!

Far better to keeps lists stable, and only cut those that a club has to cut, and then let all the under-18 kids who dont get drafted get an extra run in their state leagues next year.

Surely!
AFL lists will be a lot smaller going forward as a cost saving measure, but it just makes sense anyway.

Riley Grundy averaged 5 possessions in the u18s, no reason for him to be on an AFL list. You could easily find 5-10 more players to cut.

AFL lists will be a lot smaller going forward as a cost saving measure, but it just makes sense anyway.

Riley Grundy averaged 5 possessions in the u18s, no reason for him to be on an AFL list. You could easily find 5-10 more players to cut.
Key defenders aren't supposed to rack up possessions. He was also a broomstick last year and has shown considerable development in his body over this pre-season based on the intra-club match.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
lol as if people are still banging that drum that fielding the Magpies is an issue financially

If the PAFC exists, they can afford to get their reserves players to play SANFL.

The question is can the SANFL survive without the millions in revenue they drain from AFL footy and Port.
No. No games at AO is crippling for the SANFL. It is, essentially, their only genuine income.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

I reckon he averaged less than that for the Maggies last year. Plus his big bro has signed on for life at Collywood.

I reckon he averaged less than that for the Maggies last year. Plus his big bro has signed on for life at Collywood.
Averaged 5.2 and was a complete liability defensively.

As I mentioned before, that wasn't the case in the intra-club game. I was interested in seeing how he'd go at SANFL level with Pasini and Goldsack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
The Wet Toast Feebles have sought permission to have a football staff greater than 25. Their justification was that they will be leaving players behind and want them looked after.

Does this mean we cannot take our full list to GC. Scratch matches seemed on the cards as curtain raisers. That won’t work if the Feebles only take 25 players to the hub.

Has the question posed in this thread been answered yet?

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Wet Toast Feebles have sought permission to have a football staff greater than 25. Their justification was that they will be leaving players behind and want them looked after.

Does this mean we cannot take our full list to GC. Scratch matches seemed on the cards as curtain raisers. That won’t work if the Feebles only take 25 players to the hub.

Has the question posed in this thread been answered yet?

Eagles are leaving players with long term injuries / in rehab etc behind. They want to have trainers be exempt to train /help those guys through rehab.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Eagles are leaving players with long term injuries / in rehab etc behind. They want to have trainers be exempt to train /help those guys through rehab.
If these scratch matches do go ahead, I hope the club can get a stream of the game up for members or all supporters. Otherwise we won't get to see Williams, Mead, Pasini etc . It is one way they can add some value to the membership/supporters.

So given all these hygiene protocols does it make sense to play scratch matches in the Qld hub before the main game or another day? I would have thought the same day as it involves less travel and players sticking together rather than more back and forth movement.

I know are couple of rounds there is an AFL game in the arvo then one at night at Cararra so would not be enough time for a full 2nds game between that break but they could play 2 X 30 minute halves for a hit out.

Last edited:
I’d love to see Schofield and Jones playing alongside our reserves this year
Given AFL players can't mix with state league players and can't play in state league comps, I doubt the AFL will change the rules to let that happen.

Last edited:

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And Power Girl 's son :p. Hope he's managing ok.
Well they are back training now but this was their year to be seen by scouts so who knows if it will benefit some and not others due to restricted season. I guess some are not going to get a game if they were on the cusp. I can't wait for the first game. I am ridiculously excited.
I was hoping for a Magpies lifeline for son but we are not even in it now. FFS

There are 2 groups now of U18s those who have upped their fitness during the off and those that did nothing and are looking super unfit. So games should be interesting.

Sleezy

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well they are back training now but this was their year to be seen by scouts so who knows if it will benefit some and not others due to restricted season. I guess some are not going to get a game if they were on the cusp. I can't wait for the first game. I am ridiculously excited.
I was hoping for a Magpies lifeline for son but we are not even in it now. FFS

There are 2 groups now of U18s those who have upped their fitness during the off and those that did nothing and are looking super unfit. So games should be interesting.
Excellent, hope PG jnr is in the first group and gets a chance.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Key defenders aren't supposed to rack up possessions. He was also a broomstick last year and has shown considerable development in his body over this pre-season based on the intra-club match.

yeah we drafted Grundy he was a stick bean who did nothing but was aggressive and a very good athlete.

I had him pegged as a long long term prospect who would be years away from showing anything.

After 1 off-season he returns looking like he’s had the captain America serum and plays well above what anyone expected in the preseason.

as the only real key defender on our list over 193cms and Jonas being at the end of his career and clurey being in the second half of his career (26) he’s bizarrely become one of the most important prospects to keep on our list.

yeah we drafted Grundy he was a stick bean who did nothing but was aggressive and a very good athlete.

I had him pegged as a long long term prospect who would be years away from showing anything.

After 1 off-season he returns looking like he’s had the captain America serum and plays well above what anyone expected in the preseason.

as the only real key defender on our list over 193cms and Jonas being at the end of his career and clurey being in the second half of his career (26) he’s bizarrely become one of the most important prospects to keep on our list.
Jake Pasini come on down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back