What Happens When Players Leave Us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s funny but over the years whenever Melbourne FC lost or traded a player to another club I always feared the worst – we have made a mistake and a player who didn’t reach his full potential at MFC will suddenly transform into an AFL star. In summary, I always felt our list managers etc. would make us pay for their poor decisions. But going over some past player movements maybe on balance things haven’t worked out too badly.

I honestly thought Jordan Gysberts might do something at North but not to be, and getting Pedersen was really good for us. Same with Cale Morton going to the Eagles, would he finally turn into a star? Nope. I probably would have preferred to have Brock Mclean in the Red and Blue but obviously he had to go. Ricky Petterd was hot and cold but I probably would have kept him. Colin Sylvia obviously played his best football at Melbourne and that might be the case with Lynden Dunn. On reflection I’m not as upset now about us losing Jack Watts, Jack Trengrove and James Frawley, and the loss of Jesse Hogan does not hurt so much at the moment. I suppose the only one that really hits me is Jeremy Howe. It would have been great to see him in the Red and Blue over the last few years. Anyone have some similar thoughts/experiences? Agree or disagree.

It’s funny but over the years whenever Melbourne FC lost or traded a player to another club I always feared the worst – we have made a mistake and a player who didn’t reach his full potential at MFC will suddenly transform into an AFL star. In summary, I always felt our list managers etc. would make us pay for their poor decisions. But going over some past player movements maybe on balance things haven’t worked out too badly.

I honestly thought Jordan Gysberts might do something at North but not to be, and getting Pedersen was really good for us. Same with Cale Morton going to the Eagles, would he finally turn into a star? Nope. I probably would have preferred to have Brock Mclean in the Red and Blue but obviously he had to go. Ricky Petterd was hot and cold but I probably would have kept him. Colin Sylvia obviously played his best football at Melbourne and that might be the case with Lynden Dunn. On reflection I’m not as upset now about us losing Jack Watts, Jack Trengrove and James Frawley, and the loss of Jesse Hogan does not hurt so much at the moment. I suppose the only one that really hits me is Jeremy Howe. It would have been great to see him in the Red and Blue over the last few years. Anyone have some similar thoughts/experiences? Agree or disagree.
For the most part, the players who we've let go have largely been shown to be let go for a reason, despite countless teams thinking that Melbourne has cursed them, and they're the team that can lift the curse.

You're spot on with Howe tho, he'd have to be just about the only one that has gone on to play good footy and better. But the thing that REALLY irks me about Howe is the fact that he left because he absolutely didn't want to play in defence, and he was going to Collingwood to play as a high half forward - Jack Gunston/Issac Smith hybrid player, and 3-4 games into playing forward at Collingwood, he was moved to defence, and not only has he excelled because he didn't have the shits about playing there, Bucks was praised for unlocking his full potential by sending him to the backline

I thought Howe left because Melbourne didn't rate him enough to match Collingwood's offer. It does annoy me a bit when Buckley gets credit for doing what roos was already doing but then again I'm use to the footy media and blatant untruths constantly being told.

I think a lot of those players mentioned above had been 'neelded' so bereft of confidence that they were beyond saving. To think Neville Jetta could have been added to that list.

Yeah, to be fair there's not many who've enhanced their reputation after we've let them go.

Stefan Martin another, perhaps, but couldn't see him and Max in the same team.

Kent looks like he's playing better footy at St Kilda than he did for us perhaps, but injuries were his main problem at the MFC.

Even with the Magners, Kennedys, Tapscotts and Couchs of the world, who I thought we didn't give enough opportunities to, the Club's decision has been vindicated by the fact nobody else has touched them.

Stefan Martin went on to be a better player. Who was that player that went from Melbourne to Adelaide and played a zillion games ?

I am very disappointed about Kent, but it seemed that at Melbourne as soon as he got his chance something would go wrong.

I try not to get too in depth into why players leave (I remember being upset with Jay Viney, all those years ago, being cut after having a good year).

Stefan Martin went on to be a better player. Who was that player that went from Melbourne to Adelaide and played a zillion games ?

I am very disappointed about Kent, but it seemed that at Melbourne as soon as he got his chance something would go wrong.

I try not to get too in depth into why players leave (I remember being upset with Jay Viney, all those years ago, being cut after having a good year).

Scott Thompson. But we knew he'd be a gun.

Can't say James Frawley didn't play good footy after he left. He was instrumental in Hawthorn's 2015 Finals campaign, IIRC
he actually played pretty well in the QF loss where JK kicked 3, then kills Tex in the Semi final, keeps Pav to 1 in the prelim playing very well and finally in the Grand Final keeps Kennedy goalless.

Has had pretty bad run with injuries 2018-19, but overall has been good for us.

Jared Rivers jumped ship to Geelong to try and taste of a bit of success, don’t blame him as we were in dire straits at the time, from memory he was solid without being great.

Can't say James Frawley didn't play good footy after he left. He was instrumental in Hawthorn's 2015 Finals campaign, IIRC
he actually played pretty well in the QF loss where JK kicked 3, then kills Tex in the Semi final, keeps Pav to 1 in the prelim playing very well and finally in the Grand Final keeps Kennedy goalless.

Has had pretty bad run with injuries 2018-19, but overall has been good for us.
Yeah Frawley huge for the Hawks that year and allowed Lake to push up and not be stuck at FB. Both gorillas but Lake far more damaging when able to roam. Frawley an excellent proposition for a Kennedy and Walker match up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back