What has gone wrong with Novak Djokovic?

GTOA

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Up until six months ago, Novak Djokovic had had two years of dominance, where he won or was in finals of Grand Slams.

However, since he won the French Open, he has not won another Slam. He didn't win Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, and is now out of the Australian Open, losing in the second round to some wildcard.

Why has Djokovic gone off the rails? Why has he gone from "Mr Unbeatable" to losing often? He lost No. 1 to Murray, a guy he has beaten many times, and he can't seem to win a slam at the moment.

He also got rid of Boris Becker as his coach.

So, what do you think has gone wrong with the Djoker?

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Mental fatigue and just a lack of focus. Players now just have a better idea on how to make Novak sweat more.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
He reached his peak or zenith, winning the roland garros title and simply has lost that all out desire, hunger and dedication to remain the absolute best. He's also reached that mark in tennis where age catches up with you.

Becker said as much in one of his recent interviews, novak is not training hard enough. At that absolute top level, you have to be at your prak on and off the court.

As a huge novak fan its hard to witness, but its the reality. He's had an absolute stellar career so I'm certainly not complaining. He may or may not win another slam or 2. Its no big deal though.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Also I feel like there is no fear v. Djokovic or at least as much as there used to be.

BrissyLions101

Senior List
Apr 7, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Read a lot of rumours about personal problems, and hes part of some meditation sect started by some former player and like spiritualist Pepe Imaz. Becker made him choose between like proper training and meditation and I think hes chosen closing his eyes and breathing.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Djokovic has been in the top four rankings since Wimbledon 2007, and in top 3 for the entire decade. That simply must catch up with you eventually in a sport like tennis. Nearly 100 finals over last decade, and a professional match (many big ones) about 1.5-2 times a week over that period. To be at 750+ career wins and still dominating a sport is an unlikely scenario.

Last edited:

GTOA

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Do any of you think that he can recapture his old magic, or is downhill from here?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Because Federer is the exception, not the rule when regarding longevity.
Do any of you think that he can recapture his old magic, or is downhill from here?
Even federer has only won 1 slam post 30. It's inevitable in tennis.
Just wait until he gets into his 30s. Everyone knows that guys in their 30s have all the advantages in today's game. Ask Demosthenes or Belnakor. Or The City Boyz. He'll like it.

Last edited:

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Too skinny. Too passive. Less emotional. No Federer & Nadal to chase in the rankings.

Become too much of a family man. Less training. Less direction. Less support from parents in the stands (thank God).

Combine that with: More ball bashers in today's game, more huge servers, more fluke artists that have career best matches and not being able to play injury-free during the most important part of 2016...

= Decline

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
One of the more credible uk papers last year stated there was a rumour he had done a 'beckham'

redstarforever_

80nineninety1
Apr 8, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
red star bgd, man utd, bvb
what a player! Legend ;;)

relentless display as he had to battle the 'scum' crowd as well as delpo. its no coincidence his record at us is 3/8, absolutely brutal scum of a crowd.

djoker is the most complete and when he's on his A game i reckon he's easily the best player in the world.

Ideally, in a perfect world, (Fed, Rafa, Nole) all 3 finish at 20 and I don't think anyone would complain calling all 3 of them the GOAT ;dd

Benj7

NMK🦘4 x 🏆
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
what a player! Legend ;;)

relentless display as he had to battle the 'scum' crowd as well as delpo. its no coincidence his record at us is 3/8, absolutely brutal scum of a crowd.

djoker is the most complete and when he's on his A game i reckon he's easily the best player in the world.

Ideally, in a perfect world, (Fed, Rafa, Nole) all 3 finish at 20 and I don't think anyone would complain calling all 3 of them the GOAT ;dd
Brate what a star. Add Madrid open to this and Aus open.

Back