Oppo Camp What has made Richmond a GF team?

Remove this Banner Ad

What? You think those who accept mediocrity are responsible? Surely not!
I would've been quite happy to accept mediocrity over what we had.
It would've been a bloody great improvement.
However, we didn't have to accept it.
Just went straight to excellence with what we had.

Regression of the rest of the competition, simple. Richmond are only slightly better than they have been. Every season for the past decade there has been a few stand out dominant teams, this year there were none. Quality of the top teams this year can't compare to in their prime hawks, pies 2010, cats, swans, saints etc. those teams were untouchable and would belt both grand finalists this weekend.

The tiggies have lucked out this year and may it continue this weekend. I think it'll be their only chance for a while

Obviously you haven't watched us play very much.

We are leaps and bounds ahead of where we were.

I had the thought on the weekend that this Tigers team reminded me pretty strongly of Collingwood 2002. Which is my favourite Collingwood team I've seen. Both teams surprised during the season to finish top 4. Both teams viewed as the "weakest" top 4 teams on paper. However, Richmond have Dusty as a top 2 player in the league and Collingwood had Buckley as a top 3 player in the league to lead the way. The rest of the team likely under appreciated around the league. The same labels being applied to the current Richmond squad were applied to the likes of Licuria, Burns, Lockyer etc. Hard workers but not talented.

Both teams having surprised to make the top 4 are expected to lose in their qualifying finals. Collingwood travelled to Port Adelaide and knocked off the minor premier away from home in a tight tussle. Richmond played a hoodoo team in Geelong and finally iced the game for good in the last quarter. Come preliminary final weeks both clubs are playing preliminary finals against non-Victorian opposition in front of huge parochial crowds at the MCG. Both clubs favored with the game at home but there's still a lingering feeling of Adelaide/GWS are the "better/more talented" team and if they turn it on Collingwood/Richmond won't win. Both clubs end up winning comfortably moving through to the grand final. Adelaide fans feel that if they didn't lose Andrew McLeod while the game was still up for grabs they could have won and GWS fans feel that if they didn't lose Dylan Shiel while the game was still up for grabs that they could have won.

Hopefully for your sake the Richmond 2017 story ends better than Collingwood 2002. What I see in this Richmond team though is the capacity to play 'greater than the sum of their parts' while the sum of the parts are still probably better than most people think. Dusty gets the plaudits he deserves but even guys like Cotchin and Rance appear under-appreciated. Like Collingwood in 2002, while probably the least talented side in the top 4 on paper the capacity of Richmond to play as a team and make themselves extremely hard to beat has them in the Grand Final and deservedly as a top 2 team in 2017. Games aren't won on paper.

Good luck for the weekend and enjoy the day!

Obviously you haven't watched us play very much.

We are leaps and bounds ahead of where we were.
Whoa I wouldn't say leaps and bounds. Have watched the tiges with intrigue a fair bit actually seen a few good games and also the ones v Adelaide, Fremantle, gws, swans etc. I think your improvement is the fact your bottom 5 players now are more competent than your bottom 5 the last few years. You still play the same style of footy tho and still make the same odd silly mistakes aswell drifting in and out of games which the top teams over the years barely did. Difference is every season there has been those 3 dominant teams that have kept you in that 6-9 slot, with the swans and hawks falling out you've moved up via default. I understand you're all on your high horse but can't be blind to the fact that the quality of football being played the past 2 seasons has been very underwhelming with no stand out teams dominating. The tiggies are riding the wave just like the doggies did last year and if it pays off then you're all a very lucky bunch

Whoa I wouldn't say leaps and bounds. Have watched the tiges with intrigue a fair bit actually seen a few good games and also the ones v Adelaide, Fremantle, gws, swans etc. I think your improvement is the fact your bottom 5 players now are more competent than your bottom 5 the last few years. You still play the same style of footy tho and still make the same odd silly mistakes aswell drifting in and out of games which the top teams over the years barely did. Difference is every season there has been those 3 dominant teams that have kept you in that 6-9 slot, with the swans and hawks falling out you've moved up via default. I understand you're all on your high horse but can't be blind to the fact that the quality of football being played the past 2 seasons has been very underwhelming with no stand out teams dominating. The tiggies are riding the wave just like the doggies did last year and if it pays off then you're all a very lucky bunch

Or we're the next stand out team?

Apart from the fact it’s something the last 3 premiership coaches/teams have in common, but yeah if you say so.
a bit different really, the club made 'connection' the buzzword this year.
the CLUB decided that the players had to become closer and put in place a system that would build those bonds
they love each other and the coach and the club
at half time grigg told the boys that 'adelaide are fighting with each other, they've lost their 'connection boys, we've got this'
the rest is history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back