What have you come to accept over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leaving my current role at the moment for this very reason. You shouldn't have to be afraid of sleeping because it means the workday is getting closer.

Amazed I missed this first time around. One of my blackest periods around 1996, sitting in the dark in the loungeroom around 4am staring at the little red standby LED on the tv, afraid to go to sleep because if I went to sleep I'd wake up and if I woke up I'd have to go to work.

In my last job in Victoria I used to spend every Sunday in dread of the next day.

In my last job in Victoria I used to spend every Sunday in dread of the next day.
I’ve had 2 jobs like that. Seven years teaching, hoping it would get better. The other a year spent in a hellhole full of psychos - luckily went from there to the best job I ever had. (retired now, even better 😀)

At my age, I accept that I'll never experience true happiness

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
how old? True happiness I reckon lasts milli seconds to a couple of mins.

Eagles won the GF in 2018 and the actual pure happiness was a few mins then it was like more relief and time to breathe and enjoy it.

Im guessing same if you had a baby. Few mins of "OMG" then just a feeling of a million different things from happy to stress.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s good advice, you don’t have to be the best in your industry, just better than your equivalent at your company
Mate of mine's dad used to call that Kenyan running, you only ever go fast enough to keep in front of the guys behind you.

It’s good advice, you don’t have to be the best in your industry, just better than your equivalent at your company
Yep - or you target an industry or business line that is fairly unsexy and doesn’t attract a lot of talented people

I have a mate who is an actuary, but all actuaries are brilliant so he switched into procurement (which people used to joke is for people who find accounting too exciting)

All his colleagues told him he was crazy, but ten years later he was running supply chain analytics for a major global tech company and making a motza

Last edited:
Ive come to accept that my job is auto pilot. Its easy money. Just rock up, rinse and repeat.

Happy enough doing it. CBF starting over somewhere new in my 40s (unless forced to somehow)

But yeah accepted that unless something crazy happens this is my mon to fri til i die or retire.

Ive come to accept that my job is auto pilot. Its easy money. Just rock up, rinse and repeat.

Happy enough doing it. CBF starting over somewhere new in my 40s (unless forced to somehow)

But yeah accepted that unless something crazy happens this is my mon to fri til i die or retire.

If you don't have to bring your work home with you, that's a win

Posted in the i hate my job thread before but have had a turnaroumd mentally about my job

I now dont care

I just go with the flow dont worry about the utter incompetence, no space and s**t systems
Its not my prob.
When it takes near on 3 hrs to do a 1 hr job why should i worry.
Getting past the caring and trying to make things better falling on deaf ears is the hardest part imo.

Go in do the job to the best of your ability with the systems and tools u have

Posted in the i hate my job thread before but have had a turnaroumd mentally about my job

I now dont care

I just go with the flow dont worry about the utter incompetence, no space and sh*t systems
Its not my prob.
When it takes near on 3 hrs to do a 1 hr job why should i worry.
Getting past the caring and trying to make things better falling on deaf ears is the hardest part imo.

Go in do the job to the best of your ability with the systems and tools u have
OMG You sound exactly like where Im at.

Do you find yourself having to tell yourself to "pull back" and slow down Coz you look around and you are working like a maniac and people are standing around doing F.A or laughing coz I do.

I always go into robot mode now. Just stick with my system for the shift that Ive developed. That way if everything goes to s**t I know where Im up to and what to focus on next.

Yup
Was busting my ass as well
Slowed down to about 60% now and still getting more done
I just go with the flow.
Granted, job satisfaction isnt flowing like water thru me so i do other things like sneakily listen to podcasts and music etc
Even did some basic courses online where i can just listen and answer the multiple choice questions later.
* it
Make it about yourself and getting better mentally i reckon
Been listening to some Jim Kwick lately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back