What have you come to accept over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

30 something year olds in Asia still live with parents even if they have kids and some still share bunk beds with siblings.

Wealth and family values are just very different to what us expected in Australia.

30 something year olds in Asia still live with parents even if they have kids and some still share bunk beds with siblings.

Wealth and family values are just very different to what us expected in Australia.
very true. here we see teens hanging out to move out.

I know some who would love to move out but they don't because they feel obligated to their family to stay.

Some don't even get along with their family and you can tell they are unhappy, I feel sorry for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That, while there are individual politicians who want to make the world a better place. The overall government juggernaut is too big and comercially controlled for them to make a difference.
I few of my acquaintances harp on about what they'd do if they were local MP or premier or whatever. They are genuinely wanting what they think would be best, unfortunately if they ever got to power they'd get a huge shock.

Some people are nowhere near as respectful of others as they claim to be on social media.

I notice on social media how many people my age (40 or thereabouts) talk about when they were a kid, how we were always outside doing stuff, they pity kids of today. We were the first Nintendo generation of course, and I remember watching a shitload of cartoons too.

I notice on social media how many people my age (40 or thereabouts) talk about when they were a kid, how we were always outside doing stuff, they pity kids of today. We were the first Nintendo generation of course, and I remember watching a shitload of cartoons too.
I was the middle generation of that transition. I think the shock comes from how quickly it went from gradual transition of outside play to outside/inside and then a very sudden shift to just inside play (pretty much mirrors the rise of the smartphone).

I played Super Nintendo a lot and my PS2 all morning some days, but I also went outside the other half of the day.

Some of it is the opportunity. I'm 46, so Gen X. We could leave in the morning and as long as we were back by dinner time it was assumed lunch was at some other kids place. We had Commodore 64 and as entering teenage years consoles starting to take off, but even geeks/nerds like me still had plenty of outside time.

A parent these days letting their 8-15 year old just wander off to friends (not stating any particular one) or around the neighbourhood would be considered a s**t parent (at best, a risk to their kids safety at worst). I've boys 12 and 14 and certainly wouldn't have let them wander like me and my brothers did at that age and younger. They (like most their generation) are more inclined to go to a device rather than have asked to go to the park (or wanted to) or anything physical then me at that age, which does annoy me though. Not that the world is any less safe for kids really, but anything is much more media saturated these days, instilling fear of the predator just waiting to jump on any kid not within sight of a parent.

We could leave in the morning and as long as we were back by dinner time it was assumed lunch was at some other kids place.
... Not that the world is any less safe for kids really, but anything is much more media saturated these days, instilling fear of the predator just waiting to jump on any kid not within sight of a parent.

Same, bit older than you. I think it is less safe, only due to numbers (the world is over twice the population it was when I grew up) and a decreasingly normal - or increasingly abnormal - world which throws up more outliers. Also there are a lot of people who would be better off in full time psych care but we got rid of all the safe places and threw everyone onto the street in the game of "community care" eg transfer the cost from govt to families/communities. Even so, the headlines still reveal an overwhelmingly small risk overall.

My fear is more that people care a lot less now. Virtually nobody looks out for each other. People drive like idiots in streets where kids should be playing. You used to always slow down in case of the ball-chase across the road. Ignore people and kids in distress. Time was a lost kid was picked up and kept safe until the parents were found. Given a shoulder ride so they could be seen while calling out for mum. Handed over to a friendly cop. Then look what happened to Pumpkin and how long she was crying alone in the middle of Spencer St station.

So the physical safety side I think also has to take into account the world becoming a colder, harder, even dehumanised? place.

Same, bit older than you. I think it is less safe, only due to numbers (the world is over twice the population it was when I grew up) and a decreasingly normal - or increasingly abnormal - world which throws up more outliers. Also there are a lot of people who would be better off in full time psych care but we got rid of all the safe places and threw everyone onto the street in the game of "community care" eg transfer the cost from govt to families/communities. Even so, the headlines still reveal an overwhelmingly small risk overall.

My fear is more that people care a lot less now. Virtually nobody looks out for each other. People drive like idiots in streets where kids should be playing. You used to always slow down in case of the ball-chase across the road. Ignore people and kids in distress. Time was a lost kid was picked up and kept safe until the parents were found. Given a shoulder ride so they could be seen while calling out for mum. Handed over to a friendly cop. Then look what happened to Pumpkin and how long she was crying alone in the middle of Spencer St station.

So the physical safety side I think also has to take into account the world becoming a colder, harder, even dehumanised? place.
Take the lost kid, if you're female you could go up to and comfort / ask what's wrong, but as a bloke, short of a kid about to walk into traffic I'd look to contact police that there's an unattended child. If I went to the child I'd fear kid is there whilst mum/dad ducked into loo / shop / friends and comes out just to see me with them and goes nuts at me.

Deviating a bit I can see why guys have abandoned teaching in droves. I was happy to have one kid get at least one male teacher during primary school. Even that's getting to be a rarity. I remember when my boys were (briefly) in Cubs and the leader saying one time they were out hiking at one of the kids just came up next to him and held his hand (so kid initiated, innocent as can be) and he had to stop it, as they can't even do that these days.

So yes, I think the world is a colder, harder, more dehumanised place, but some of this is unintended consequences of rightly wanting to protect our kids and stop the cover some positions have granted in the past to abuse, now making adults afraid to help kids for fear they'll be accused without cause. I don't know of any easy solution to it unfortunately.

I few of my acquaintances harp on about what they'd do if they were local MP or premier or whatever. They are genuinely wanting what they think would be best, unfortunately if they ever got to power they'd get a huge shock.

Unfortunately once in power, pollies realise making constituents happy doesn't put food on the table if they lose their seat

Aye, the good ol days.

My contemporaries dont seem to pity the kids of today (kot) as of now. Yes quietly there maybe sublte shake of the head or tsk tsk under breath. but overall, not overt disapprovals. I think we all realise two main driving forces today:

1) world is internet/device crazy, and schools are the same. Kids use devices to learn and play. Do not and get left behind so to speak.
2) recall when you werent a parent with other non parents. lots of head shaking back then, oh im not gonna let my kid play with the phone at dinner etc. Nek minnut. Ergo, do whatever it takes to settle said kid.

Think about it, 30-40 years ago when we were grumpy when out with family/friends how did parents settle us? Mustve been something, probably brought toys from home. Or run around. Now think, the older generation were probably posting letters , telegrams or aerogrammes to each other exasperated at little johnny playing with his toys at dinner gathering.

and so on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back