What have you come to accept over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Take the lost kid, if you're female you could go up to and comfort / ask what's wrong, but as a bloke, short of a kid about to walk into traffic I'd look to contact police that there's an unattended child. If I went to the child I'd fear kid is there whilst mum/dad ducked into loo / shop / friends and comes out just to see me with them and goes nuts at me.

That's not just a recent thing. 25 years ago I was working late and heard horns, brakes etc. Ran out and here's a three year old kid in pyjamas wandering on the main road. Took him inside and called the police, turned on every light in the place and sat him at a table in front of the window while I waited outside. It's s**t you have to do that.

One of my happiest memories is the two solo trips around outback northern Vietnam I did on small motorbikes, it was great having little bags of chips / bickies / lollies / ChocoPies and giving them to the grinning little kids who crowded round every time I stopped. It was just such a normal thing to do. Now I look back and think that for a third party, some foreigner in strange clothes speaking gibberish and handing out free lollies might just seem a trifle over 11 on the creepometer.

That's not just a recent thing. 25 years ago I was working late and heard horns, brakes etc. Ran out and here's a three year old kid in pyjamas wandering on the main road. Took him inside and called the police, turned on every light in the place and sat him at a table in front of the window while I waited outside. It's s**t you have to do that.

One of my happiest memories is the two solo trips around outback northern Vietnam I did on small motorbikes, it was great having little bags of chips / bickies / lollies / ChocoPies and giving them to the grinning little kids who crowded round every time I stopped. It was just such a normal thing to do. Now I look back and think that for a third party, some foreigner in strange clothes speaking gibberish and handing out free lollies might just seem a trifle over 11 on the creepometer.
In Japan you get on a bus or train pull out the map looking for the next temple and all of a sudden your being lead around the streets by 30, 10 year olds.
I think my wife and I are in every school magazine in Japan

Some of it is the opportunity. I'm 46, so Gen X. We could leave in the morning and as long as we were back by dinner time it was assumed lunch was at some other kids place. We had Commodore 64 and as entering teenage years consoles starting to take off, but even geeks/nerds like me still had plenty of outside time.

A parent these days letting their 8-15 year old just wander off to friends (not stating any particular one) or around the neighbourhood would be considered a s**t parent (at best, a risk to their kids safety at worst). I've boys 12 and 14 and certainly wouldn't have let them wander like me and my brothers did at that age and younger. They (like most their generation) are more inclined to go to a device rather than have asked to go to the park (or wanted to) or anything physical then me at that age, which does annoy me though. Not that the world is any less safe for kids really, but anything is much more media saturated these days, instilling fear of the predator just waiting to jump on any kid not within sight of a parent.
Around my local (middle class) neighbourhood there's plenty of kids riding around, unsupervised by adults (all in that age bracket). It's only started since COVID though. They look after themselves and if/when something goes wrong, there's enough parents who know who all the kids are with.

It's fun hearing their trash talk. Apparently one of them was "toxic".

In Japan you get on a bus or train pull out the map looking for the next temple and all of a sudden your being lead around the streets by 30, 10 year olds.
I think my wife and I are in every school magazine in Japan
Everyone I know who’s been to Japan has similar stories. Great people. Hope to go one day.

Aye, the good ol days.

My contemporaries dont seem to pity the kids of today (kot) as of now. Yes quietly there maybe sublte shake of the head or tsk tsk under breath. but overall, not overt disapprovals. I think we all realise two main driving forces today:

1) world is internet/device crazy, and schools are the same. Kids use devices to learn and play. Do not and get left behind so to speak.
2) recall when you werent a parent with other non parents. lots of head shaking back then, oh im not gonna let my kid play with the phone at dinner etc. Nek minnut. Ergo, do whatever it takes to settle said kid.

Think about it, 30-40 years ago when we were grumpy when out with family/friends how did parents settle us? Mustve been something, probably brought toys from home. Or run around. Now think, the older generation were probably posting letters , telegrams or aerogrammes to each other exasperated at little johnny playing with his toys at dinner gathering.

and so on
I still write letters to two of my elderly aunts. They have devices etc now but it's something we started before all of that and it's nice to still get a proper letter in the post.

I notice on social media how many people my age (40 or thereabouts) talk about when they were a kid, how we were always outside doing stuff, they pity kids of today. We were the first Nintendo generation of course, and I remember watching a shitload of cartoons too.

I played plennnty of Nintendo in the 90s, but it was still a semi social thing. Houses used to have one or two TVs, and one or two computers. Playing SNES meant being in the living room. Going on ICQ meant being on the computer in the family room and tying up the phone line with dial up. If you had friends over to play some Street Fighter 2 you'd get punted out of the house at some stage.

Games these days are more involved and more connected/accessible. People play games on iPads, phones etc. and you can go hide out in your room and be in contact with all your friends remotely and without parents interrupting. I don't know how much impetus there is from parents these days to actually tell kids not to play games all day, go outside and exercise etc.

I notice on social media how many people my age (40 or thereabouts) talk about when they were a kid, how we were always outside doing stuff, they pity kids of today. We were the first Nintendo generation of course, and I remember watching a shitload of cartoons too.
How many of these people are still outside doing things themselves? It's not just kids that don't play outside anymore.

To be fair cartoons back then were awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Courageous cat and minute mouse
loved that

I went to see this in Japan
iu

He made me late for school so many times

Australian's are inherently racist, and are for the most part one of the least progressive western nations outside maybe the States
Going off this quote, many Australians have been brainwashed into white guilt and have lost the ability of self thought. What is amazing those, you in other words, actually trying to palm off your own racism onto others to make yourself feel better. Firstly how can anyone sane claim they know anyone outside of their own sphere of family and friends to make this judgement.
You actually shown your own INHERENT RACISM did you even understand what you posted.
Last I checked 'Australian' was quite diverse. So these Australians you claim are 'inherently racist', does this include those southern Europeans the Italians and Greeks, what about the Lebanese and Turkish, the Vietnamese or Chinese or Indian, what about those aboriginals that identify themselves as Australians. Also we have the newly arrived from places such as Afghanistan and Somalia who have decided to take on the Australian identity..........all these groups of people are inherently racist are they!!!!! no of course not, for you an Australian is someone with British ancestry and these are those you are talking about with this inherent racism.....so for you to be an Australian which is how you quoted 'Australian are inherently racist' means to you can only have British or white ancestry.............YES YOU ARE RACIST but please don't stamp your racism on those you DON"T KNOW!!

Many Australians believe - or pretend to believe - racism only exists in the blatant, Pauline Hanson, "fu** off we're full" ways, while the quieter, pernicious stuff more common isn't racism or is 'political' or not intentional (like that matters for those on the receiving end).
Well actually many Australians are not brainwashed fools, who have fallen into white guilt due to the inability to create own thought...I bet you took the knee didn't you!!....does it make you feel better, has all that white guilt now just disappeared...poor fella all those you been oppressing all those 'non white' people.......lol and taking the knee it feels so good to release that guilt.
The idea you think Pauline Hanson by protecting the cultural identity of Australia is not only racist but blatant, how much little self thought you have. You also show how much of a traitor and sellout you are...Maybe you also should get outside the bubble you live and explore the world and get to know how much other countries protect their own identities. Go to Japan, Thailand, China, the Middle East and African countries..please go find out how OPEN these countries or any country is..You do know not that long Melbourne's mayor was John So Chinese heritage right, how did he get office with all us racists!!! now please go and find me like a good little boy a Chinese mainland city for example governed by non Chinese heritage..and when has Pauline ever asked for 100% white Australia..in other words never or anywhere close..
So Pauline Hanson just like those Japanese protecting their country's identity, those Chinese protecting theirs are all patriots....you though are a sellout traitor.

The best of the best. My kids still dont understand how we didnt have cartoons at the click of a button and only in the mornings before school and for a couple of hours after school.

the anticipation adds to the enjoyment.

loved that

I went to see this in Japan
iu

He made me late for school so many times

It is amazing, and beautiful, that the monument isnt graffitied or vandalised. Friends who have been to the land of the rising sun inform me that they've left objects such as wallets on vending machines, and came back the next day to find it was in its place, untouched. Could that happen here? Maybe.

the anticipation adds to the enjoyment.

It is amazing, and beautiful, that the monument isnt graffitied or vandalised. Friends who have been to the land of the rising sun inform me that they've left objects such as wallets on vending machines, and came back the next day to find it was in its place, untouched. Could that happen here? Maybe.
We used to leave money in the milk bottles and in the bread bag when I was a kid
No one took it,so it was part of our society when we were a community not a bunch of individuals we have all become

You had a box near the letter box you would put your milk bottles in empty with money in them the milkman would replace them with full ones
The bread bag was a flour bag hung off the door , same thing put money in, come home to fresh bread for dinner

Remember the Melbourne tagging ***** (sorry, "artist") who went to Japan to spray his semi-literate scrawl on anything he could see and was arrested on arrival when he went back to do it again?

Seems there was another, hold on... both in this article. Doesn't say what happened to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back