What have you come to accept over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Something about West Aussies I always liked as a kid. Dennis Lille, Rod Marsh and Barry Cable are some of first West Aussies on tv I knew as a little kid, so it was a great first impression. Then there was Kim Hughes from the non-World Series Cricket side I got to know and then the Carlton greats like Ken Hunter and Peter Bosustow. Later generations people like Justin Langer, Mike Hussy, Nat Fye and Patrick Cripps. Love them all.
BUT, over the years also get to hear the ones that never left and accepted many have a massive chip on their shoulder due to the isolation. I even kind of get it from going over there once and truly sensing how far Perth is, not just from rest of Australia but from rest of the world. It truly is most isolated city in the world. That is going to have an effect.
The chip on shoulder and bias I just accept will stay in most and that minor flaw just accept and still like West Aussies as fellow Aussies.

Personally I feel most people want to live their life and mind their own business and it's the minority that ruins it for everyone.
This is all well and good, however I make an effort to remember things about peoples lives so that I can check up on them when I have a conversation with them. A few of my girlfriend's friends love chatting about themselves to me but I reckon they couldn't give two shits if I started talking about myself for a prolonged amount of time.

10-20 really really good friends are worth more than 50 'ok' friends.

I've always only had one or two close mates. I have a heap of acquaintances. I have over 300 Facebook friends most of whom I know reasonably well but only a couple I'd call close friends.

Perth's fuel pricing scehdule is a complete load of s**t. Every Wednesday, expensive as *. By Monday/Tuesday your counting your coins in savings.

Most people you meet couldn't really give a s**t about you, sadly.

Yep, however...

Most people dont give a fu** about you beyond your capacity to do something or make money for them.

This is the more accurate way of putting it.

Be useful to people and they will be good to you.

Sure, it would be better if people were good to you just because. I've come to accept that this is very rarely the case.

It is neither good nor bad, it just is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth's fuel pricing scehdule is a complete load of s**t. Every Wednesday, expensive as fu**. By Monday/Tuesday your counting your coins in savings.
Assuming that the prices are the same at their highest and lowest, a weekly cycle is still better than fortnightly. People who use a tank per week have no ability to time their run here.

I normally spend $150 a month on petrol, currently haven't filled up since around 10 March and still have 100km left.

I filled up in early March at $1.30 for bourgeois petrol
I hope it stays fresh because there is heaps left

This is the more accurate way of putting it.

Be useful to people and they will be good to you.

Sure, it would be better if people were good to you just because. I've come to accept that this is very rarely the case.

It is neither good nor bad, it just is.

This needs to be expanded upon.

Be useful to people and they will make use of you. Whether or not that is mutually beneficial depends on the circumstance.

If I can be useful to good/useful people they will (should) be good/useful to me in return. Simply being useful is no guarantee of anything. Say I can do ABC and XYZ, my scope is to do ABC and yours is to do XYZ. If I end up doing ABC and X and a bit of Y leaving you just the Z then I am very useful to you, but it's taking the piss. I've met countless people who undervalue and take advantage of useful people, and in turn useful people who don't recognise it or do and don't/can't remedy.

I've also worked with plenty of likeable people over the years who aren't useful. They are usually looked after. People have an affinity for those that they like, nothing groundbreaking there. I've been in organisations of hundreds of people going through restructuring. It's uncanny how many useful people that either aren't liked or don't have much of a profile are let go while likeable simpletons and people with friends in the right places are retained.

I'm not wasteful but firmly in the fuel is fuel, you have to pay for it camp. Nothing more boring than people who think talking about how much they paid for fuel is a genuine topic of conversation.

Petrol is petrol, electricity is electricity, gas is gas etc.

I've got a diesel car so the price of a tank rarely goes up and down too much. Pick a good day to fill up I might save $5 or $10. Nice little win, but it's small bikkies compared to a whole bunch of other things. Buy takeaway coffee and lunch every day and you'll probably spend $100 a week compared to an extra $5 on your tank of petrol which might last a week or two.

People love to complain about the cost of petrol, how much their power bill is etc. but they don't seem to want to do anything beyond that. I've seen people complain about $800 power bills and my reaction is 'what the * are you running, an indoor hydro setup?'. Same sort of people complain about the cost of petrol yet own 4WDs that never go off road and do 500km of driving every single week. Even worse when they drive into the city in traffic, pay to park (and complain about that) then drive home after 8 hours. Walking free. Riding a bike free. Two zone train fare about $4.50. I've come to accept that some people just want to complain.

I've got a diesel car so the price of a tank rarely goes up and down too much. Pick a good day to fill up I might save $5 or $10. Nice little win, but it's small bikkies compared to a whole bunch of other things. Buy takeaway coffee and lunch every day and you'll probably spend $100 a week compared to an extra $5 on your tank of petrol which might last a week or two.

People love to complain about the cost of petrol, how much their power bill is etc. but they don't seem to want to do anything beyond that. I've seen people complain about $800 power bills and my reaction is 'what the fu** are you running, an indoor hydro setup?'. Same sort of people complain about the cost of petrol yet own 4WDs that never go off road and do 500km of driving every single week. Even worse when they drive into the city in traffic, pay to park (and complain about that) then drive home after 8 hours. Walking free. Riding a bike free. Two zone train fare about $4.50. I've come to accept that some people just want to complain.
What I don't get about people who complain about bills and mortgage/rent - everyone has them! You're not special.

People love to complain about the cost of petrol, how much their power bill is etc. but they don't seem to want to do anything beyond that. I've seen people complain about $800 power bills and my reaction is 'what the fu** are you running, an indoor hydro setup?'. Same sort of people complain about the cost of petrol yet own 4WDs that never go off road and do 500km of driving every single week. Even worse when they drive into the city in traffic, pay to park (and complain about that) then drive home after 8 hours. Walking free. Riding a bike free. Two zone train fare about $4.50. I've come to accept that some people just want to complain.

Unless you have a super fund that has divested from fossil fuel companies, then petrol prices are a bit like bank fees: you're losing a bit of cash in the short term, but probably have stocks in an investment that will benefit you in the long term.

Paying for takeaway/cafe food while at work is a very big expenditure item that I've noticed few people seem to care about. Yet there'd be some people who would pay conservatively $3,000 a year just on meals they consume at work. That's insane.

Personally I feel most people want to live their life and mind their own business and it's the minority that ruins it for everyone.

Not it's the majority that ruin it. They are the idiots that need Governments to run their lives because the dolts can't plan it out themselves.

Like the tools who have kids then expect the rest of society and Governments to help pay and look after them.

Paying for takeaway/cafe food while at work is a very big expenditure item that I've noticed few people seem to care about. Yet there'd be some people who would pay conservatively $3,000 a year just on meals they consume at work. That's insane.

I can understand people who spend more than they need to on food, because it’s not a commodity like fuel or electricity.

It is true that the amount of money you can blow on constantly eating out and getting takeaway, just in order to save a bit of time shopping and cooking, is eye-watering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back