What have you come to accept over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

A pic of Paige for reference

O3a7ghKxkdxxAhwsOvgw0ilA4l3pR-Q0LE7-hwAMcq8CrQ-4Sy--NsNSMBjbHOkhAY10wkFtb5lwLMag3XxhoX-I8VAQdUtZeEfai1sfJCtr80lhoQq1RjYkvAJpAak4An2UMvp-KZGd83koYbyQqXbasHCI3w
Gabbie Carter is pretty handy at golf and other things.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it does buy piece of mind.
I don't think it's clear cut to say money does or doesn't buy happiness. If you've a s**t life due to non-money reasons just getting a decent amount of money dropped on you isn't going to make you Mr. Happy.

If you've got a generally good life (partner you like, friends etc.), but you've got a fair amount of stresses / anxiety in your life that would be alleviated by a decent amount of money, then I'd say money would make you happier.

That journalism is a dying art. Hell, it’s been dead for years thanks to social media.

The Tom Browne’s and Sam McClure’s of the footy journalism world have proven it’s more important to be first, instead of having the truth.

You even see publications creating stories from nothing more than someone’s Instagram upload. Mia Fevola posted to her story today or yesterday about how she got over her failed relationship with yet another footballer. Tonight, up pops a story from the Herald Sun, spruiking how “daughter of Brendan Fevola moved on from heartbreak with Richmond star Daniel Rioli” and then put it behind a paywall. Someone literally went to Instagram, viewed the story, punched out an article for Melbourne’s flagship newspaper, and will get paid for it. It makes me sick.

Another thing that annoys me is news services or journalists posting on social media asking people affected by a certain situation to come forward and offer their story. How about instead of trying to get a cheap story, get up off your ass and travel to the bushfire-affected area and speak to those involved.

That journalism is a dying art. Hell, it’s been dead for years thanks to social media.

The Tom Browne’s and Sam McClure’s of the footy journalism world have proven it’s more important to be first, instead of having the truth.

You even see publications creating stories from nothing more than someone’s Instagram upload. Mia Fevola posted to her story today or yesterday about how she got over her failed relationship with yet another footballer. Tonight, up pops a story from the Herald Sun, spruiking how “daughter of Brendan Fevola moved on from heartbreak with Richmond star Daniel Rioli” and then put it behind a paywall. Someone literally went to Instagram, viewed the story, punched out an article for Melbourne’s flagship newspaper, and will get paid for it. It makes me sick.

Another thing that annoys me is news services or journalists posting on social media asking people affected by a certain situation to come forward and offer their story. How about instead of trying to get a cheap story, get up off your ass and travel to the bushfire-affected area and speak to those involved.

Also, PISS THE BLOODY PAYWALL OFF.

The internet killed attention spans, and hence killed journalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that social media and the internet has made it harder to monetise news, that's where most of the problems with the "art" of journalism today are.

I don't know if it's become harder to monetise news, but it's definitely become easier to monetise trash so good quality reporting has gone by the wayside. Click the link, open the page, view the ads. That's all they care about.

When I was a footy mad kid in the 90s you watched games on TV (some live, some delayed) and then there were the Sunday morning programs, Talking Footy on Monday night and The Footy Show on Thursday night. That was it other than 2 minute snippets on the 6pm news, and then the paper would have a couple of articles written the night before. I remember being annoyed if WC played on a Friday night and the Saturday paper didn't have all the stats and match reports and you had to wait until Sunday. These days people get the shits if they don't know how many contested pressure score involvement acts a player in a game they aren't even watching has while the game is still going...

The news cycle is fast. Everyone with a smartphone is a source. 20 years ago people rang up talkback radio and have their 2c. Now they go on Twitter, and embedding that in an article apparently counts as news.

I don't know if it's become harder to monetise news, but it's definitely become easier to monetise trash so good quality reporting has gone by the wayside. Click the link, open the page, view the ads. That's all they care about.

When I was a footy mad kid in the 90s you watched games on TV (some live, some delayed) and then there were the Sunday morning programs, Talking Footy on Monday night and The Footy Show on Thursday night. That was it other than 2 minute snippets on the 6pm news, and then the paper would have a couple of articles written the night before. I remember being annoyed if WC played on a Friday night and the Saturday paper didn't have all the stats and match reports and you had to wait until Sunday. These days people get the shits if they don't know how many contested pressure score involvement acts a player in a game they aren't even watching has while the game is still going...

The news cycle is fast. Everyone with a smartphone is a source. 20 years ago people rang up talkback radio and have their 2c. Now they go on Twitter, and embedding that in an article apparently counts as news.
To me its a major reason im not into footy as much, the media saturation. You dont get a break from it, its everywhere. It gets repetitious and boring. (as well as the game played in a very boring style)

As you said, i used to watch talking footy, footy show and sport on the news just to get my footy fix. It was more interesting and informative as you arent getting saturated with the same news all day every day. The footy show used to have hard hitting news, now news is out every minute and most of it isnt news, its just filler.

The exposure to constant news via social media has lessened the relevance of news, as most of what is reported isnt news, its rubbish.

The fake news narrative has only started when mainly conservative government's promote policies that are demonstrably bad and it's their way of dealing with people that try to call them out on that. Try to find the phrase in use before that orange turd somehow grifted his way into office.

The fake news narrative has only started when mainly conservative government's promote policies that are demonstrably bad and it's their way of dealing with people that try to call them out on that. Try to find the phrase in use before that orange turd somehow grifted his way into office.

That's hilarious.

It's not a narrative, they literally are pushing made up bullshit to people.

It's not mainly conservative, so do away with that partisan hack crap.

The biggest fake news purveyors were the far left communist nations.

Look at China and North Korea for nations ruled by government sanctioned fake news. The brainwashed their whole nations with it.

Last edited:
Trust your gut, it's more often right than wrong. I was about to go "all-in" on a handful of various opportunities two weeks ago but shirked. Could have made my yearly wage in a week but second guessed myself.

Now they go on Twitter, and embedding that in an article apparently counts as news.

news article said:
Publishing Cotton's “abhorrent op-ed is unacceptable, and there should be resignations,” declared writer Thor Benson.
The Times publishing Tom Cotton's abhorrent op-ed is unacceptable, and there should be resignations.
— Thor Benson (@thor_benson) June 3, 2020
Journalist Yashar Ali actually tagged the opinion editors and demanded they “resign or provide a detailed accounting to the public of how you weren't involved in the publication of that awful op-ed,” threatening to use his “enormous privilege” to compel them.
. @JBennet, @katiekings, and @jimdao you need to resign or provide a detailed accounting to the public of how you weren't involved in the publication of that awful op-ed. Unlike some other people in media, I have enormous privilege and will use it to speak out.Resign.
— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) June 3, 2020
Columnist Wahajat Ali (no relation) denounced Cotton’s essay as a “vision of fascist America” and anyone who refused to recognize it as the future of the Republican Party as “willfully ignorant and naive.”
Also, Tom Cotton's vision of fascist America is the future of the Republican Party. If you refuse to see it, you're being willfully ignorant and naive. This is why "both sides" is so dangerous and inaccurate in framing conversations.
— Wajahat "Social Distance Yourself" Ali (@WajahatAli) June 3, 2020

Might not be fake news, but it's sure as hell lazyarsed journalism.

That whatever we do and whenever we do it (and have done in the past) were meant to happen at that time.

All chats I've had in the past were meant to happen at those times and cannot be replicated because it's impossible to replicate them.

Funny, I've been married 3 times and keep having the same conversations over and over again

:hmm:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back