Opinion What I am worried about

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks had 62 inside 50's to 43 and 6 more scoring shots, we were lucky to get so close.

Think they will be a bottom 8 side anyway so that is quite telling.

I'm sure we will get a better idea of where we sit after the WCE game.
Do you really think the Eagles are a better side than the Hawks? Or is it the travelling?

The reality is our players do not have the confidence or ability to move the ball around in small spaces and short leads. Our kicking skills are below par so we end up being safe and going backwards because the guys know they can't technically **** it up and turn it over.
This is particularly true coming out of the defensive fifty. Mind you, our two best distributers of the footy out of that half of the ground - Enright and Mackie - have retired in the last two years, and we are still working in some greenhorns in Bews, Stewart and Zuthrie back there. I hope the composure will come.

Do you really think the Eagles are a better side than the Hawks? Or is it the travelling?

Think they will both finish well outside the 8 but travelling to Perth against a mediocre Eagles team is a lot harder than playing the Hawks at the MCG.

Teams with a lot of kids generally do a lot worse interstate.

We do.
Usually Hawkins.
So what should we do when the opposition keep 4 defenders back?
Seriously this isn't hard to realise....

By my math that leaves 3 of our other forwards without an opponent.

Perhaps we keep them nearer the front 50, and expect, ask, the rest of the team to do their bit in preventing the ball being rushed the other way too often. If our 3 forwards are needed down back then we have issues.

Ask Selwood, Duncan, Ablett and Danger to win the ball and create more forward entries. Do that and Hawk will get less attention......or someone else, like Menz, will fill their boots. If we can’t do it with the centre group we have now we never will.

Oh, and don’t reward laziness or cowardice. When a physical giant like Stanley hears footsteps, or leaves it to a piece of string like Zuthrie to stand a man cos he cbf’d, you kick his arse to the kerb. Maybe that’d send a message to the entire group.

Tell Blitz that if he turns 360 with the ball once more, and does anything but move it forward, he can have a spell too.

And maybe get the playing group to do a thesis on a thing called composure. The last 2 mins against the Hawks by some of our experienced players was just plain embarrassing.

It changed last quarter V Hawthorn, and 3rd quarter V Melbourne.

Why its not for 4 quarters each week is the mystery.
Not physically capable- our 3 Amigos.. are all recovering from preseason injuries, and we have a compromised defence.

Not physically capable- our 3 Amigos.. are all recovering from preseason injuries, and we have a compromised defence.
And two of those from hamstring injuries which is keeping out the fourth midfielder with probably the best kick. Those blasted hamstrings which is the question to be asked- why have three of them had that problem by round two

Serious question on this: is it Geelong playing differently OR just the that the opposition drops off enough to allow it to just work better?

Perhaps both?

Maybe, just maybe, they’re trying to do something different but don’t have the skill, confidence or composure to impose it at will on the opposition, but can do it for brief bursts when the opposition drops off enough?

Well, some here have dared to question our game plan, the selection process, and whether our MC and coach have the necessary skill and judgement.

At the risk of again being labelled a sook, and on the evidence available at half time, I’d like to put forward a couple of serious questions:

1) has what we’ve seen so far validated the team selection as rational thinking by the MC and Coach?

2) has it demonstrated a deliberate change and improvement to our game plan?

3) has it demonstrated a belief and investment in the game plan by the players?

4) has it demonstrated an ability by Scott to adapt and counteract?

5) has it demonstrated we have the skills, tenacity, belief and system to be a genuine contender?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably every point OP made, except the Menzel one, has some element of truth to it at the moment. Concerning stuff.

Probably every point OP made, except the Menzel one, has some element of truth to it at the moment. Concerning stuff.

Correct .. I hate to come on here and be right but I warned everyone about the tough start to the year .. we should be 0/3... I stand by my OP.. including Menzel who is selfish and doesn’t apply enough pressure

I'm worried that if fortune turns around for us, and 2/3rds of the way through the season we get seduced into to trying like hell to get into the top 4.

Doing that has worn teams into the ground by the time the finals come around. Last 6 H&A matches are all grand finals and every one is talking about the Golden Ticket that is a top 4 possie. The Bulldogs have proved you don't need it. In 2011 we had the team to float into the top 4 with little pressure on us. Scott timed the team perfectly. Other seasons he seems obssessed more in getting into the top 4, and some of our stars have come into those finals having already shot their bolt.

I'm worried that if fortune turns around for us, and 2/3rds of the way through the season we get seduced into to trying like hell to get into the top 4.

Doing that has worn teams into the ground by the time the finals come around. Last 6 H&A matches are all grand finals and every one is talking about the Golden Ticket that is a top 4 possie. The Bulldogs have proved you don't need it. In 2011 we had the team to float into the top 4 with little pressure on us. Scott timed the team perfectly. Other seasons he seems obssessed more in getting into the top 4, and some of our stars have come into those finals having already shot their bolt.

Our lack of composure, lack of skill, poor system, inability to play four quarters, the injuries we have, their expected duration, and the workload it’ll thrust on those remaining leaves me very dubious about our credentials as a genuine Top 8 contender.

Our lack of composure, lack of skill, poor system, inability to play four quarters, the injuries we have, their expected duration, and the workload it’ll thrust on those remaining leaves me very dubious about our credentials as a genuine Top 8 contender.
Me too. Hope we are wrong. I'm dubious, but we have shown something. It's a long season, and no team is standing out.

These warning signs have been around for years for those who could open their eyes.... Sad state of affairs. Don't like being right about this.
I don’t get it. What are you right about?
We have played some scintillating footy this year-better than we have looked for a few years. Just need to get more guys fit and keep it up for entire games. Am looking forward to it. More excited than I have felt for the last couple of years-it’s beautiful football.

I don’t get it. What are you right about?
We have played some scintillating footy this year-better than we have looked for a few years. Just need to get more guys fit and keep it up for entire games. Am looking forward to it. More excited than I have felt for the last couple of years-it’s beautiful football.
..... Our only 'scintillating footy' came about because we have 3 of the top midfielders in the game in the team. Now as expected Ablett has done his hamstring we will go back to depending on Dangerwood. There has been very little to get excited about except maybe Tim Kelly once his fitness improves. Our tactics and team selection are embarrassing. Blicavs as a dedicated ruck vs Natanui.... Who is the genius that decided that?

..... Our only 'scintillating footy' came about because we have 3 of the top midfielders in the game in the team. Now as expected Ablett has done his hamstring we will go back to depending on Dangerwood. There has been very little to get excited about except maybe Tim Kelly once his fitness improves. Our tactics and team selection are embarrassing. Blicavs as a dedicated ruck vs Natanui.... Who is the genius that decided that?
We have played some wonderful footy in all 3 games this year and it has been on the back of contributions from most of the players. When we play direct football, apart from it meaning we can match it with most teams, we are actually a pleasure to watch.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back