What I Reckon with Tony Lynn 15 - Closing Down Sale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it supposed to be a big secret though?

Yep. Except all the clubs know exactly what the other clubs are doing. Just us poor muppets that pay our money and front up have little idea. But shhh, please don’t tell anyone!

My point is the game wasn’t complicated back then, it was simple.

Nowadays it is incredibly complicated but there is little education for the punter to appreciate what they are trying to achieve.
They are trying to acheive the same thing as always . But making it harder for themselves.
I predict the tide will turn and coaches will remember the basics. That the australian rules ball is hard to kick well and hard to catch consistently. And that it bounces in all directions to make the best game plan look useless.

Okay well here is what I reckon.

We as fans are so disconnected to the modern game tactics that it makes it difficult to comprehend what is actually going on. I giggle at the comments about not having a plan B. Most of us would not have any idea what the plan A is.

Twenty odd years ago you could go to a game and have a pretty good sense to what is going on. Nowadays I don’t feel many truly know what is going on.

There needs to be more education to the modern game so us fans can actually feel like we have some semblance of knowledge. The clubs are not willing to divulge and the bafoons that are on special comments offer little more than a player dossier of useless facts.

I will move on now.
I've already stated this on another thread that if you want to know anything about our modern game just pop over to the Adelaide board, they know it all.:cool:

We as fans are so disconnected to the modern game tactics that it makes it difficult to comprehend what is actually going on. I giggle at the comments about not having a plan B. Most of us would not have any idea what the plan A is.

Twenty odd years ago you could go to a game and have a pretty good sense to what is going on. Nowadays I don’t feel many truly know what is going on.

There needs to be more education to the modern game so us fans can actually feel like we have some semblance of knowledge. The clubs are not willing to divulge and the bafoons that are on special comments offer little more than a player dossier of useless facts.

I will move on now.

Problem is it appears our player last year had little idea of it either ....

My point is the game wasn’t complicated back then, it was simple.

Nowadays it is incredibly complicated but there is little education for the punter to appreciate what they are trying to achieve.
Remember that first practice match against hawthorn when bolts first took over - bolts took that group of players who truly had no idea under Malthouse over a few months & we all could see a “structure” & some resemblance of them playing modern style footy. Reckon bolts will get results once the players mature.

but what exactly does "structure" and "modern style footy" mean - what's the verbal nuts and bolts of it, so to speak?
It used to mean play in your position and mind your opponent. Heavens knows what it means now. Maybe Simon says everyone run to the same place and stacks on the mill........

Welcome back 'Lynn the Chin' !

...SNIP

I think Liam Jones has shown more than glimpses of potential and is a regular contributor. He will continue to make mistakes, but I'm sure he will refine his game and keep them to a minimum. I can't criticise someone who continually backs themselves in with a team mentality, even if if they make the odd howler.

Picket - After the glimpses awesomeness he showed last pre-season (burning off opponents), before he got injured, I was sure he would be regular 22. Unfortunately, the way he returned to training at the end of last year would seem to support your statement. A real shame - I'd love to see him in full flight.

Lobbe - Don't agree when Philips is at his best - he just cant stay on the park. However, I agree on the Project ruck and have posted this for the last 2 years. It seems we will more likely go out and poach a ready made ruck when the time comes.

Garlett - Just don't see him ever playing to full potential. Always seems to be stuck in second gear, and I think Picket has more upside if I had to choose.

Jones - Unsure about a failed experiment. As I said above, he has made some howlers, but I like to see him back himself regularly and I think he'll make less mistakes.
Jones was ranked 6th best defender in AFL before injury and was our only elite player start of 2018 season. His qualities are elite his decision making not so much. He’s only been in the role for about 20 games. Once he hits 50 I reckon he will be one of the greats in our backline as they learn to play together and share the responsibility (Marchbank Weitering and Plowman)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

Given our performance both on and off the field for the last 25 years, reckon this person with all the answers should have put their hand up to help out the club in a formal capacity.

Easy to sit on the sidelines and take pot shots at the ones doing the job. Gutless to do it in a public way so you can feel better for telling it how you see it while the other person has to maintain their professionalism. The person probably tells waiters and retail staff how to do their jobs ‘properly’ as well, believing they are making the world a better place by imparting their wisdom.

He actually did and gave his time for the love of the club, held a very high position for many years. As I said an icon of the club. :)

I figure that they want to be unpredictable and yet play safe almost all the time. Something of a contradiction. Teams do that to a fair extent but in the average game as soon as it goes past say 5 posessions the other team gets it. History shows that. Watch games in any era and that ball is just in dispute as much as it's in posession. In recent times there is this game plan terminology that abounds but ultimately if a team cant work it forward and score there's no point to any plan on a whiteboard or in the head.

So in the modern game every player has to know their role in every scenario and where to try to run to. Coaches are trying to balance the defense and attack which surely just confuses the players because when youre free on a run with the ball the last thing you should be having to do is stop and look back because there is your foward line streaming back to cover in case you lose that darn football. In trying to not be caught out by the oppositions own methods the coaches own method becomes a factor in why they cant bloody score. Then from every free kick or mark we see a particular set of rehearsed movements by players in running and ball movement so as to try to find a loose man among a sea of legs and arms in a 30 metre space. Breakneck speed chess if you will. Its a gameplan era alright. But not a very good one. This game has fallen into a trap of becoming a bloated industry with dozens of people employed in coaching the very simple game that it really is.

Complicate it as much as they like but it's actually always got to be a choice between posession and risk most of the time. Its pretty hard to play our game well unless you take that risk of lost posession. This game that requires such skill and instinct does not really marry so well with scientific ideas of a book of plays.

Of course thats for what I call a decent game with a healthy winning scoreline. If a 1 nil affair is acceptable then so be it. Play posession all day...8 metre kicks backwards and forwards. Dont think the fans like that though except maybe in the gf when the cup is the cup any old way you can get it.

Last edited:

I will move on now.
We have David King explaining all ...he draws arrows and circles, and pretends a lucky bounce that means a team with a string of players that were out of position one moment are suddenly in position to run away unimpeded and score, is deliberate :p

We have David King explaining all ...he draws arrows and circles, and pretends a lucky bounce that means a team with a string of players that were out of position one moment are suddenly in position to run away unimpeded and score, is deliberate :p

I kinda like what he does but boy he is a knob jockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back