What I Reckon with Tony Lynn 15 - Closing Down Sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
gotta say, I never had any idea of a game-plan back in the 70s, 80s & 90s - we were just better at winning lots of games than other clubs - I'm sure there was some semblance of a structured plan - parko and his corridor for instance - I'm just not sure I need to know - have no idea how my car or computer works but I know I enjoy both........

Premiership quarter, 3rd.

Get the ball into space, and run like hell, was the basic plan.

It was still man on man, but we rotated the mosquito fleet carte blanche on field every 5 minutes.

Defenders didn’t have a clue.

To slow it up when they had the ball, scrag 15 metre penalties.

It was still man on man, but we rotated the mosquito fleet carte blanche on field every 5 minutes.

Has footy changed that much where by if you are bleeding goals like a second generation inherited money billionare … you don't man up and create one on one contests ans spill to a stoppage??

If you get a run on .. has footy changed that much you "flood" forward to create uneven head counts in the forward 50, thus creating opportunities to score????

Has footy changed that much that when your midfield win a clearance and on the OFF chance they can't lace out a pass … they bomb deep into F50 and your smaller players are front and centre for opportunistic goals?????

Has it really changed that much???

Here's an idea ... if you have good ball users you can retain possession … ergo you can transition the ball forward for a I50 opportunity ...

Has the game really changed that much????

a proper gameplan has to have contingency for things sliding away from us - they didn't too often back then - we don't do time-out in afl except the breaks - we really need to incorporate a way to shape the game back our way or at least back to level pegging if we are to be fair dinkum

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
a proper gameplan has to have contingency for things sliding away from us - they didn't too often back then - we don't do time-out in afl except the breaks - we really need to incorporate a way to shape the game back our way or at least back to level pegging if we are to be fair dinkum

Personally.

I reckon we’re the worst red time side in the league, the last 3 years at least, fitness probably.

Would prefer in the first half, going tempo footy to end quarters.

Just a thought.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I figure that they want to be unpredictable and yet play safe almost all the time. Something of a contradiction. Teams do that to a fair extent but in the average game as soon as it goes past say 5 posessions the other team gets it. History shows that. Watch games in any era and that ball is just in dispute as much as it's in posession. In recent times there is this game plan terminology that abounds but ultimately if a team cant work it forward and score there's no point to any plan on a whiteboard or in the head.

So in the modern game every player has to know their role in every scenario and where to try to run to. Coaches are trying to balance the defense and attack which surely just confuses the players because when youre free on a run with the ball the last thing you should be having to do is stop and look back because there is your foward line streaming back to cover in case you lose that darn football. In trying to not be caught out by the oppositions own methods the coaches own method becomes a factor in why they cant bloody score. Then from every free kick or mark we see a particular set of rehearsed movements by players in running and ball movement so as to try to find a loose man among a sea of legs and arms in a 30 metre space. Breakneck speed chess if you will. Its a gameplan era alright. But not a very good one. This game has fallen into a trap of becoming a bloated industry with dozens of people employed in coaching the very simple game that it really is.

Complicate it as much as they like but it's actually always got to be a choice between posession and risk most of the time. Its pretty hard to play our game well unless you take that risk of lost posession. This game that requires such skill and instinct does not really marry so well with scientific ideas of a book of plays.

Of course thats for what I call a decent game with a healthy winning scoreline. If a 1 nil affair is acceptable then so be it. Play posession all day...8 metre kicks backwards and forwards. Dont think the fans like that though except maybe in the gf when the cup is the cup any old way you can get it.

Great post Blue . Your complicate it paragraph.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Yeah no red time goals. Dig in .

I figure that they want to be unpredictable and yet play safe almost all the time. Something of a contradiction. Teams do that to a fair extent but in the average game as soon as it goes past say 5 posessions the other team gets it. History shows that. Watch games in any era and that ball is just in dispute as much as it's in posession. In recent times there is this game plan terminology that abounds but ultimately if a team cant work it forward and score there's no point to any plan on a whiteboard or in the head.

So in the modern game every player has to know their role in every scenario and where to try to run to. Coaches are trying to balance the defense and attack which surely just confuses the players because when youre free on a run with the ball the last thing you should be having to do is stop and look back because there is your foward line streaming back to cover in case you lose that darn football. In trying to not be caught out by the oppositions own methods the coaches own method becomes a factor in why they cant bloody score. Then from every free kick or mark we see a particular set of rehearsed movements by players in running and ball movement so as to try to find a loose man among a sea of legs and arms in a 30 metre space. Breakneck speed chess if you will. Its a gameplan era alright. But not a very good one. This game has fallen into a trap of becoming a bloated industry with dozens of people employed in coaching the very simple game that it really is.

Complicate it as much as they like but it's actually always got to be a choice between posession and risk most of the time. Its pretty hard to play our game well unless you take that risk of lost posession. This game that requires such skill and instinct does not really marry so well with scientific ideas of a book of plays.

Of course thats for what I call a decent game with a healthy winning scoreline. If a 1 nil affair is acceptable then so be it. Play posession all day...8 metre kicks backwards and forwards. Dont think the fans like that though except maybe in the gf when the cup is the cup any old way you can get it.

over 400 words and I get the lot.....

Great post Blue . Your complicate it paragraph.

7 words and I got nothin.........

What happened to “kick the pumped up pigskin between the big sticks more times than the other mob”?

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I reckon red time...where the hell did that phrase come from...is more fitness than anything...a hard conditioned mature side just can keep going and set themselves to take advantage while the boys are sucking air

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I reckon red time...where the hell did that phrase come from...is more fitness than anything...a hard conditioned mature side just can keep going and set themselves to take advantage while the boys are sucking air

Yeah, but a young side like ours starts making skill errors going for that extra goal late in quarters.

And it usually costs us 3 the other way.

Has footy changed that much where by if you are bleeding goals like a second generation inherited money billionare … you don't man up and create one on one contests ans spill to a stoppage??

If you get a run on .. has footy changed that much you "flood" forward to create uneven head counts in the forward 50, thus creating opportunities to score????

Has footy changed that much that when your midfield win a clearance and on the OFF chance they can't lace out a pass … they bomb deep into F50 and your smaller players are front and centre for opportunistic goals?????

Has it really changed that much???

Here's an idea ... if you have good ball users you can retain possession … ergo you can transition the ball forward for a I50 opportunity ...

Has the game really changed that much????
now it has - you said ergo.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back