What if Adelaide joined the VFL in 81....

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit disappointed Open Mike didn't get into that, and also to Platten coming back and playing a year with Centrals after retiring from Hawthorn.
I see him at every Crows game.

Someone needs to tell him he is bald.

It is like a few cobwebs covering a bald egg.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Grandpa was involved in the SANFL during the 70s and early 80s and there was a definite plan to form a club based national league back then.

However the SANFL and WAFL were too conservative to push it.

The VFL could see the value in franchise fees to prop up its ailing clubs in the late 80s. SANFL and WAFL were far more financially secure in that era.

And here we are.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep completely missed the boat to make it a true national competition with the likes of the big WA clubs, SA clubs etc.

That list is exactly why the VFL didn't want us in as a composite side. Nothing would have shattered this Vic footy is the best footy mythology than getting belted every week by a side like that.

Sorry to intrude, but I found this thread rather interesting. In recent times I've been thinking of things other way around. I found out recently that in 1990 a NSW side defeated the Vics in a SOO match.

I do wonder, had South Melbourne not been forced to relocate, what a composite NSW side in the late '80s might have looked like. It too may have scared the hell out of the Vics!

I don't post often away from Geelong board, but, Anything that would've lead to the Hawthorn and Melbourne merger has my vote, so I am upset (to a degree) this never happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back