What if AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

But Norwood Reds aren't the reeeeeal Norwood lololol

That was the weirdest part of an interesting, albeit decidedly mid concept.

If we could be the Magpies, why on earth would Norwood have to rebrand as just ‘The Reds’?

That was the weirdest part of an interesting, albeit decidedly mid concept.

If we could be the Magpies, why on earth would Norwood have to rebrand as just ‘The Reds’?
He refers to Norwood Reds in a couple of his other vids so probably just saved himself time re-designing the guernsey etc.

One of his vids is the Port Adelaide Crows ffs, a merger scenario I think but I only skipped through it so not 100%.

I'd like to print out some "Norwood Reds for AFL 2096" bumper stickers and hand them out during games at The Parade and gauge the reaction.

When Centrals were at their peak, both in premierships and pokie revenue, I know they had sneaky designs on stepping up in some capacity should the club have floated down the Derwent as hoped by some.

Norwood Reds sounds lame. Copying Carlton and Adelaide United by using a colour mascot.

If Norwood really wants to get into the AFL, they have two options.

They could try and buy the Adelaide Crows again (but will need waaaay more money this time) or they could merge with another SANFL club and go in for a bid.

Most people would think Sturt be the most likely option to make an "East Adelaide" team, but the Crows are basically already that. What would the mascot be? East Adelaide Redblues? lol

If Norwood really wanted to join the AFL, they should come down to South Adelaide and propose a proper merger. Norwood-South Adelaide Panthers (NSA), with Redlegs and Panthers in the SANFL being direct feeder teams.

Why Panther mascot? It's unique and not currently in use by any other AFL team and has a significant South Australian history.

I personally think that SAFC could do it alone if we had an investor come in with $20m and brought the NPL and NBL1 clubs under the same banner like we did with the netball and volleyball. The more we spread the S.Adelaide Panther banner across different codes the more we become a superclub.

You know what? Stuff Norwood. Go Panfs!

Norwood Reds sounds lame. Copying Carlton and Adelaide United by using a colour mascot.

They could try and buy the Adelaide Crows again (but will need waaaay more money this time) or they could merge with another SANFL club and go in for a bid.

Most people would think Sturt be the most likely option to make an "East Adelaide" team, but the Crows are basically already that. What would the mascot be? East Adelaide Redblues? lol

If Norwood really wanted to join the AFL, they should come down to South Adelaide and propose a proper merger. Norwood-South Adelaide Panthers (NSA), with Redlegs and Panthers in the SANFL being direct feeder teams.

Why Panther mascot? It's unique and not currently in use by any other AFL team and has a significant South Australian history.

I personally think that SAFC could do it alone if we had an investor come in with $20m and brought the NPL and NBL1 clubs under the same banner like we did with the netball and volleyball. The more we spread the S.Adelaide Panther banner across different codes the more we become a superclub.

Norwoods chance has long gone. Their supporters have long since moved to the Crows, or remained embittered (and more and more dead) SANFL only fans. There's just not the support for a 3rd SA side. A bland Crows 2.0 state side won't take away from Crows or Port. A new side isn't going to beat Port for 'the common man'.

As I've said elsewhere the only slim chance as a 3rd side would be one clearly marketed to the top end of town. It wouldn't affect Port, but it'd terrify Adelaide. They think of themselves as for the top end of town, but say they are for all SA to get supporters who aren't the top end of town. A 3rd side clearly going for the top end would force them to either stay saying they are for all and risk losing some of their richest (in their eyes only worthy) supporters. Or they drop the facade and say they are for the top end also and lose many of those not identifying with that sort of club, who belatedly realise they don't mean and never have meant s**t to Adelaide.

It'd be grab the popcorn and watch them wreck each other for Port (club and fans), but it's just wishful thinking.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but where are the Panthers getting supporters from. You've been the team of the South now for what? 30 years, yet still haven't made in roads. I like the Panthers, you'd be my 2nd fav team in the SANFL, I hope you're successful, but sheesh you have literally no supporters and even as a founding club you are still a battler that's had limited success on top of the lack of support.

It's a nice thought, but the Panthers in the AFL is far more than a 'What if' it's more a completely different universe.

South Adelaide 🤨🤔 they are the st Kilda of the SANFL....

3rd team won't work from Sa..

I want a Tassie team... And weather permitting a nt team as well... But I'm no expert on the top end.

Let's not pretend a sustainable league was possible without Victoria. It is a ludicrous proposition.

North and Bulldogs merge. Saints Melbourne merge. 7 Melbourne teams plus Geelong. Only Port were big enough to be a stand alone club side. Crows, West Coast, Fremantle, Sydney, Brisbane, Tasmania.
3 Vic teams play out of Marvel. 4 out of MCG. AFL Hierarchy rule for the league, not Victoria.
This is the best possibility. This what it should be.

South Adelaide 🤨🤔 they are the st Kilda of the SANFL....

3rd team won't work from Sa..

I want a Tassie team... And weather permitting a nt team as well... But I'm no expert on the top end.
It would work in Alice Springs if the town was bigger.

There are not enough bums in the Territory to host games every second week. Darwin, Katherine, Tennant and Alice are very much Towns, not Cities.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but where are the Panthers getting supporters from. You've been the team of the South now for what? 30 years, yet still haven't made in roads. I like the Panthers, you'd be my 2nd fav team in the SANFL, I hope you're successful, but sheesh you have literally no supporters and even as a founding club you are still a battler that's had limited success on top of the lack of support.

It's a nice thought, but the Panthers in the AFL is far more than a 'What if' it's more a completely different universe.

The club needs a strong investor or investors to prop it up to a higher standard for sure. Club needs to market itself better and develop a culture of winning rather than being content losers.

Because I love the Panthers and am a proud member of the club, I'll be the first to criticise it. Many things need to change but I don't believe it's too late, despite 30 years of being the team of the south.

Investment - Marketing - Culture. We must aspire to greatness.

Last edited:
1987 is already away too late.

But, yes, if WAFL, SANFL, and TFL had joined forces — MAYBE! — they COULD have rivaled the VFL.

If so, the national league would have looked quite different than what it is.
The thing is that nobody ever needed to rival anybody.

Why not just have the WAFL, SNAFL, TFL and VFL join forces?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not pretend a sustainable league was possible without Victoria. It is a ludicrous proposition.
I think everyone knew that, but if the all other states had moved as a group first, they'd have been able to offer a handful of spots to Victorian sides, either existing or new, from a position of strength, ensuring a true national competition, not the quasi-VFL we've still got.

South Adelaide should concentrate on winning a flag in the SANFL something they haven't done for nearly 60 years lmao. toot toot
Buckle up mate, a Panther sixpeat is coming starting next year.

Panther army rise up.

The AFL expanding to Tasmania is like putting an NBA franchise in Puerto Rico.

“They love it!” isn’t a business case.
Who says it has to be a 'business case'? Isn't the AFL supposed to be a non-profit?

Professional sport’s entire raison d’être is money. Why did Fitzroy go?
If profit was all that mattered, sure. Tasmania aren’t going to cost the league more than having North or Saints still around instead. If anything Vic sides travelling more, means more of them watching those extra games from Tassie on TV, rather than seeing in person at Docklands.

Tasmania will pack their boutique stadium most weeks & the players will be rock stars down there.

GCS & GWS may have growth potential but they are so far off creating what a Tassie team will in 5 minutes.

Way back in the mid 1980's I was approached to be part of an informal committee to discuss a `proposed ' multi sporting complex connected to your club's oval, which was to include a trotting track, greyhound track, 10 pin bowling complex, basketball courts etc, etc.

It was arranged by the then state government representative, and was chaired by an apparently high ranking government employee, but there was only one meeting held, nothing came out of it, and any interest by those who attended fizzled out very quickly.

I can't see a 3rd AFL team in SA happening for decades yet, but if it does happen the Noarlunga area would have to be some sort of chance to get the nod.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back