What if AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Way back in the mid 1980's I was approached to be part of an informal committee to discuss a `proposed ' multi sporting complex connected to your club's oval, which was to include a trotting track, greyhound track, 10 pin bowling complex, basketball courts etc, etc.

It was arranged by the then state government representative, and was chaired by an apparently high ranking government employee, but there was only one meeting held, nothing came out of it, and any interest by those who attended fizzled out very quickly.

I can't see a 3rd AFL team in SA happening for decades yet, but if it does happen the Noarlunga area would have to be some sort of chance to get the nod.

In the years to come when the spot for the 3rd SA team comes - it will without a doubt be South Adelaide as we've grown in recent years to establish the Panther brand across the southern community, with many Southern sports clubs across multiple codes and sports now sharing the same brand.

In regards to the future NGAs for the third position I can see this being the result. Would be better if Crows gave up their reserves team and just made Norwood their SANFL team (I'm sure many legs fans would love that).

The Panthers will become a solid brand, uniquely South Australian, and many will hop on the bandwagon :cool:

A.png

In the years to come when the spot for the 3rd SA team comes - it will without a doubt be South Adelaide as we've grown in recent years to establish the Panther brand across the southern community, with many Southern sports clubs across multiple codes and sports now sharing the same brand.

In regards to the future NGAs for the third position I can see this being the result. Would be better if Crows gave up their reserves team and just made Norwood their SANFL team (I'm sure many legs fans would love that).

The Panthers will become a solid brand, uniquely South Australian, and many will hop on the bandwagon :cool:

View attachment 1571728
South Adelaide are an SANFL minnow please stop I'm starting to question whether you are sane.

Way back in the mid 1980's I was approached to be part of an informal committee to discuss a `proposed ' multi sporting complex connected to your club's oval, which was to include a trotting track, greyhound track, 10 pin bowling complex, basketball courts etc, etc.

It was arranged by the then state government representative, and was chaired by an apparently high ranking government employee, but there was only one meeting held, nothing came out of it, and any interest by those who attended fizzled out very quickly.

I can't see a 3rd AFL team in SA happening for decades yet, but if it does happen the Noarlunga area would have to be some sort of chance to get the nod.
The boat sailed in 1990. Should have had 3 teams in from the get go.

When one came in, then the SANFL cutting in, it set up a two team town. Even if Port came in first in 1990 and had success or been viable, had interstate travel and moved the economy, Norwood, Glenelg, Sturt would have fancied their chances.

Three SA teams would have been sensational, there was a small window and the SANFL destroyed footy in this state from ever growing beyond.

SANFL if they didn’t believe in the product hence not wanting to join, should have let Port walk and potentially drain their own coffers and kill the Magpies themselves. We wouldn’t have… but instead they cut their noses off in spite of their face.

In an alternative universe, we own our own power, there are three AFL clubs, Nathan Buckley is a Port Adelaide SANFL and AFL Premiership player and Bowen Lockwood has kicked 700 goals and lauded as the best since Wayne Carey…

South Adelaide are an SANFL minnow please stop I'm starting to question whether you are sane.
they are, however it actually makes geographical sense.

Onkaparinga, Holdfast Bay, Marion, Mitcham, Kangaroo Island, Yorke Peninsula & Fleurieu Peninsula - South Adelaide.
Unley, Burnside, Walkerville, Campbelltown, Adelaide, Norwood St Peters, Prospect, Adelaide Hills, Limestone Coast - Adelaide
West Torrens, Charles Sturt, Pt Adelaide Enfield, Tea Tree Gully, Salisbury, Playford, Gawler, Eyre Peninsular - Port Adelaide

Onkaparinga, Holdfast Bay, Marion, Mitcham, Kangaroo Island, Yorke Peninsula & Fleurieu Peninsula - South Adelaide.
This is where people make the mistake of thinking anyone in those areas gives two shits about them.

If you wanted a club in the AFL to represent that side of town you'd create a new club not go with a complete basket case from the SANFL.

Unley, Burnside, Walkerville, Campbelltown, Adelaide, Norwood St Peters, Prospect, Adelaide Hills, Limestone Coast - Adelaide
West Torrens, Charles Sturt, Pt Adelaide Enfield, Tea Tree Gully, Salisbury, Playford, Gawler, Eyre Peninsular - Port Adelaide
Makes sense. Once we have a big investor come in we can start paving the way for AFL entry.

This is where people make the mistake of thinking anyone in those areas gives two shits about them.

If you wanted a club in the AFL to represent that side of town you'd create a new club not go with a complete basket case from the SANFL.
Yes, the South Adelaide Cockle divers. Or the South Adelaide Echidnas. Rebrand the Panters, but pull from their history.

There needs to be more work done at the grassroots level but AFL teams in this state. The SANFL taking over the junior comps is not healthy for footy in SA!

I would even argue the one whole Amateur League approach is hurting footy in the metro areas. Div 1 & 2 should be a community comp best in the state. Then Div 3 down broken into North, Central, South with the Premiers of each promoted each year and three relegated. Div 1 & 2 Minor Premiers and Premiers/Grand Finalists. You may not get 7 divisions, maybe 3 and 4, possibly 5. But you would get the rivalry which once bred generational talents. Look at what came from the Port area when Semaphore Centrals, Semaphore Park, Exeter, Riverside, Rosewater, Seaton, Ethelton, Royal Park, Alberton United. The Salisbury Area when Salisbury North, Salisbury West, Elizabeth, Central United, Salisbury, Brahma Lodge, Porakka, Para Hills, Ingle Farm.

Build the local rivalries again.

This thread has been hijacked by a lone nutcase wanting one of the worst football clubs in Australia to join the AFL.. it's peak offseason like never before.
Let the lad play, it’s either this or jacking myself to Ollie Lord pics and dreaming of Jase to Rome, hitting up Ky…

Jeezus lol no one would go near South Adelaide with an AFL license there's more chance of the Noarlunga Nigels getting up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth would South Adelaide need to change their mascot. Panther brand is unique to us and would be a fantastic addition to the AFL.
Can we just ban this boring one-note troll account already?

No it doesn't. To twist a meme from US politics - geography doesn't play footy, people do. The season is as long as it can be, and promotion/relegation can't work in a strict cap-and-draft based system so forget any second division and forget any SA#3 AFL license in our lifetimes. It would be way behind TAS#1 and PERTH#3 and if they ever happen they will likely replace GCS and (with much wailing from Victoria) a MEL franchise. And here's the thing, if GCS disappear, SA#3 will be instantly behind some new vague QLD#2 concept anyway.

Yes, the South Adelaide Cockle divers. Or the South Adelaide Echidnas. Rebrand the Panters, but pull from their history.

There needs to be more work done at the grassroots level but AFL teams in this state. The SANFL taking over the junior comps is not healthy for footy in SA!

I would even argue the one whole Amateur League approach is hurting footy in the metro areas. Div 1 & 2 should be a community comp best in the state. Then Div 3 down broken into North, Central, South with the Premiers of each promoted each year and three relegated. Div 1 & 2 Minor Premiers and Premiers/Grand Finalists. You may not get 7 divisions, maybe 3 and 4, possibly 5. But you would get the rivalry which once bred generational talents. Look at what came from the Port area when Semaphore Centrals, Semaphore Park, Exeter, Riverside, Rosewater, Seaton, Ethelton, Royal Park, Alberton United. The Salisbury Area when Salisbury North, Salisbury West, Elizabeth, Central United, Salisbury, Brahma Lodge, Porakka, Para Hills, Ingle Farm.

Build the local rivalries again.

The pipeline of AFL talent won't grow or improve while the SANFL refuses to govern itself as a development league. In theory a "State Premier League" could run junior development on behalf of a national comp, in practice the SANFL is a cartel, conflicted in doing that function optimally. As for an expanded Amateur League concept I suspect diffusing development over an even bigger pool of tier-2 type clubs won't help either. If talent identification and development pipelines start earlier the kids aren't in that part of the system long enough - unless the AFL moves draft age out to 20-21 so there's time and space again for a few years local rivalry in the structure and for kids to grow up a bit more too. Not a crazy idea, if you could align the whole system.

Ironically the introduction of the electorate system - forcing players to play for "their local club" - kicked off the destruction of 19th century powerhouse South Adelaide in the first place. Followed quickly by the literal and brutal undercutting of their inner suburban "zone" by introducing Sturt. A Panther historian** might add to that a long series of "unfavourable" zoning decisions over subsequent decades that they were powerless to fight. Hmmm some of that sounds not unlike the series of attempts to nobble mid-century powerhouse Port but I won't wander any further off topic here ;)

** long rumoured to be extinct, if you see one of these in the wild, call David Attenborough

Makes sense. Once we have a big investor come in we can start paving the way for AFL entry.

Elon Musk Smoking GIF

The geographic divide worked in the SANFL/WAFL/VFL days where a good sized part of your home crowd getting to your oval, lived not far from there. s**t, go back to when it was the strongest correlation between club supported and where you live and that's 1950's and prior, where every household having a car wasn't ubiquitous like now. These days a car per adult in a house is the norm. Take that and consolidation of grounds and the 'It's my local (geographic) team' link has long since been busted.

Only Geelong, as a city with a single team conforms to that to any degree these days. Even there, that's been propped up by being a marginal seat that has had money thrown at it by state and federal governments we can only dream of. Along with Father-son pickups on the cheap, plus the 'he was recruited as a skinny kid with beautiful long hair, 12 months later he's going bald and 20kg heavier', what a coincidence! Just like those from all the previous drafts since Dank was here, way back. They got success to a degree a lot more than they would have on a level playing field, keeping / getting local fans.

Port and Adelaide divide somewhat on geographic grounds, but only by geography is demography, it's not a East/West or North/South or the like division. Adelaide has the whole 'wink' 'wink' Team for all SA, but you in 'better suburbs' know that's for show, we agree with your Beryl and Marge, that Shazza and Dazza are unwashed filth you have to hold your nose sitting near at, the footy. If we didn't need their money, we'd call security and have them evicted.

If the AFL was stupid enough to award South an AFL license tomorrow, sure they'd push to the degree they are the team of the South, but would still heavily market themselves as an 'Also the team for all South Australians'. Port and Adelaide certainly wouldn't cede that part of the state and impose limits on who they want as supporters.

tl;dr - SA can't support 3 sides, no matter by what means you try to divide it up. Short a major overhaul in where immigrants want to live (ie. not the Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane lure), SA will only continue to get smaller as a percentage of the population of the country and as such will get even less enticing for a new AFL side.

There'll never be a 3rd SA team.

Even If we started from scratch with what we know now we'd still only go 2 teams.

Maybe 3 in WA.

Victoria 8 teams is about right.

Then you have the debatable ones....
1/2 QLD
1 TAS
1/2 NSW

Dream from here would be North move to Tassie, Bulldogs move to WA.

Can't do anything now about Norwood, but a shame SA's footy history has all been basically dissolved for a pointless feeder competition, except for our club.

My dream from here:

North relocate to Canberra and become the Canberra Capitals

Melbourne demons relocate to Norwood and adopt their old name the Redlegs

Crows fold keeping SA at 2 clubs

Collingwood relocate to to Tassie and become the Devils

Port adopt the magpies and take over the world

My dream from here:

North relocate to Canberra and become the Canberra Capitals

Melbourne demons relocate to Norwood and adopt their old name the Redlegs

Crows fold keeping SA at 2 clubs

Collingwood relocate to to Tassie and become the Devils

Port adopt the magpies and take over the world