'What if?' Back to Back Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the Richmond game that spelt the end for us in 2019 imo.

We threw everything at them, probably should have won even with the rain, but we came up short.
I was at the game (incredible Q1 - best footy I’ve seen live by far) but Richmond had evened the game out before the rain had even started. It maybe prevented us from fighting back a bit, but it wasn’t the turning point some make it out to be.

Unfortunate that we could play such elite footy in the first quarter but not be able to perform when the game wasn’t on our terms. Bit of a trend throughout Simpson’s tenure but also seems to be a thing across the league

Full strength that would have been some game but with Judd, Kerr and Cousins out we would have gone beaten pretty comfortably. I wouldn't think a Port-style flogging was in order, but probably something like 2015.

Judd probably would have been picked for a grand final but hadn't played a good game since halfway through the season (People talk about 2007 as GAJ's breakout year which it absolutely was but Judd completely owned the first half of the year and it's always forgotten about). Kerr hadn't played since Round 20 so I doubt he is playing in a GF, although I can't remember specifically what injury he picked and google isn't being kind to me. Cousins did a hammy in the Port QF so he was no chance for GF - I guess there's an argument that had we not let Essendon back into that game we would have finished second, had a home QF in which we would have comfortably handled Port and Cousins never does his hamstring.
Kerr had a tendon injury to his finger and was on record saying he would have it amputated to be able to play in a prelim if we made it that far. Daniel Chick had a finger amputated for the same thing (I think it was when he played for the Hawks).

'07 the stars were aligned against us - no chance we get over Geelong
'05 we should've played Lynch over Gardiner.

'19 we fell off the train at the end.

I know it isn't back to back, but I feel 2016 was very winnable. That loss to a very mediocre Collingwood in round 19 relegated us from what would've been 3rd to 6th in a very very tight season. In this scenario we get a double chance and shoot the Dogs miracle season in what was such an open season

Kerr had a tendon injury to his finger and was on record saying he would have it amputated to be able to play in a prelim if we made it that far. Daniel Chick had a finger amputated for the same thing (I think it was when he played for the Hawks).
Amputating a finger for the cause is admiral but I would assume you can't just rock up and play elite level footy a week later after such a procedure.

Amputating a finger for the cause is admiral but I would assume you can't just rock up and play elite level footy a week later after such a procedure.
You're right. This article implies that it was the risk of playing that could lead to permanent damage and then amputation. I think Kerr said he would def play in the prelim and if that resulted in amputation down the track, he'd accept the risk

2019/2020 pissed me off because the prevailing sentiment those years in large sections of this board was "don't worry, percentage doesn't matter!! it's winning that important!!""

But it did matter. And it cost us dearly. We missed top 4 twice on %

I was at the game (incredible Q1 - best footy I’ve seen live by far) but Richmond had evened the game out before the rain had even started. It maybe prevented us from fighting back a bit, but it wasn’t the turning point some make it out to be.

Unfortunate that we could play such elite footy in the first quarter but not be able to perform when the game wasn’t on our terms. Bit of a trend throughout Simpson’s tenure but also seems to be a thing across the league
Bang on. I was at that game also. The first quarter was probably the best footy I've seen us play in that generation. Richmond were zoning off and waiting for the turnover, but our kicking just opened them up time and again.

Second quarter they attacked the ball a lot more proactively and got the game on their terms and we didn't handle it at all. Then the rain came. In the 4th quarter we managed to wrestle it back to a 50/50 surprisingly, but they had it on their terms for longer.

Despite all that even tigers supporters on the train home were saying we were the best team they had seen play all year. If we somehow held onto that game I feel like it would have been a shot in the arm and the season would have gone a lot differently.

Still, what a game. Was top notch footy by both teams.

Firstly the 05 - 07 period.

The team at the time had the best midfield in the league (you can say it’s even better than Brisbane’s three peat mids). However what we lacked was a gun CHB to support Glass, proper gun CHF and FF. We had to rely on Gasper (noooo) in 05 GF plus Ruck type forwards such as Gardiner as our FF (kicked 0.2 though), Hansen and Seaby too. Q sticks didn’t become good until 2006.

Now replace the likes of Gardiner, Hansen and Seaby with a gun CHF and FF along with having a gun CHB to support Glass and an inform Q sticks as the third tall, Sampi being consistent, plus a clean culture without drugs then holy crap we go back to back in 05 and 06 at the very worst.

We win 05 for sure and 06 becomes a breeze. In 07 even with a fit and firing Kerr, Judd and Cousins alone with that team in the current timeline we don’t get past Geelong (we still do better than Port though) but with a gun CHB, CHF and FF I’d say it could go either way. Judd leaves at the end of 07 as normal and in 08, 09, 10 and 11 we’re still up there but better teams around that time still beat us although we give them a good fight and even win some of those games. We may sneak one flag in from 08-12. As our older players start getting cooked and eventually retire, our bottom out period in that timeline starts sometime in 2014 - 2016 just like our current 08-10 periods. The list would look very different today. 2022 in that timeline would be our next 2015 with the GF going either way assuming we trade and drafted well.

This has nothing to do with my what if above but here’s my thoughts on this current timeline 2019 season.

Many of us here forgot that we lost to Collingwood by one point at home btw. Win both the Richmond and Collingwood games in 2019 then we’re one game clear at the top of the ladder. Beat the Hawks in R23 then we’re two games clear at the top of the ladder.

In that timeline we would’ve faced Richmond at Optus. Given how well we match up against them at the time, weather being dry and plus Optus still being a fortress at the time I’d say we beat them and go straight to the prelim.

Collingwood would be demoted to 5th but I do see them beating the Bombers in the EF. Geelong and Brisbane would battle it out at the MCG with Geelong winning IMO. GWS and Bulldogs goes the same as normal and if Brisbane and GWS played out like it did in this timeline then we face GWS which I think we beat and go into the GF despite the Junior Rioli saga but who knows maybe he might not have gotten done for sample tampering.

Richmond and Collingwood could’ve gone either way (I’m leaning Richmond since Collingwood won’t have the Mason Cox factor since his eyes are injured) in this altered SF plus either the prelim for Geelong and either Richmond or Collingwood could go either way as well so basically we could face one of Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong in the GF at the MCG of course.

Question is would we have beaten them in the GF? I’d say we’re capable of doing so and going back to back.

2020 COVID affected season. Assuming things goes the same now up until the Dogs game. We beat the Dogs the in a thriller and Darling scores with about a minute instead of missing. We’d be third on the ladder and would’ve faced Brisbane at the Gabba which we don’t match up well against.

We lose that game but I can see us beating the Saints in SF. Port Adelaide would be facing Richmond at AO which I do see Richmond winning and going to the prelim which means we would’ve had to face them at The Gabba which I don’t see us winning against them in the dewy ground. Not surprised if either Geelong or Collingwood knock Port out in straight sets.

I’m not gonna get into 2021 and 2022.

Firstly the 05 - 07 period.

The team at the time had the best midfield in the league (you can say it’s even better than Brisbane’s three peat mids). However what we lacked was a gun CHB to support Glass, proper gun CHF and FF. We had to rely on Gasper (noooo) in 05 GF plus Ruck type forwards such as Gardiner as our FF (kicked 0.2 though), Hansen and Seaby too. Q sticks didn’t become good until 2006.

Now replace the likes of Gardiner, Hansen and Seaby with a gun CHF and FF along with having a gun CHB to support Glass and an inform Q sticks as the third tall, Sampi being consistent, plus a clean culture without drugs then holy crap we go back to back in 05 and 06 at the very worst.

We win 05 for sure and 06 becomes a breeze. In 07 even with a fit and firing Kerr, Judd and Cousins alone with that team in the current timeline we don’t get past Geelong (we still do better than Port though) but with a gun CHB, CHF and FF I’d say it could go either way. Judd leaves at the end of 07 as normal and in 08, 09, 10 and 11 we’re still up there but better teams around that time still beat us although we give them a good fight and even win some of those games. We may sneak one flag in from 08-12. As our older players start getting cooked and eventually retire, our bottom out period in that timeline starts sometime in 2014 - 2016 just like our current 08-10 periods. The list would look very different today. 2022 in that timeline would be our next 2015 with the GF going either way assuming we trade and drafted well.

This has nothing to do with my what if above but here’s my thoughts on this current timeline 2019 season.

Many of us here forgot that we lost to Collingwood by one point at home btw. Win both the Richmond and Collingwood games in 2019 then we’re one game clear at the top of the ladder. Beat the Hawks in R23 then we’re two games clear at the top of the ladder.

In that timeline we would’ve faced Richmond at Optus. Given how well we match up against them at the time, weather being dry and plus Optus still being a fortress at the time I’d say we beat them and go straight to the prelim.

Collingwood would be demoted to 5th but I do see them beating the Bombers in the EF. Geelong and Brisbane would battle it out at the MCG with Geelong winning IMO. GWS and Bulldogs goes the same as normal and if Brisbane and GWS played out like it did in this timeline then we face GWS which I think we beat and go into the GF despite the Junior Rioli saga but who knows maybe he might not have gotten done for sample tampering.

Richmond and Collingwood could’ve gone either way (I’m leaning Richmond since Collingwood won’t have the Mason Cox factor since his eyes are injured) in this altered SF plus either the prelim for Geelong and either Richmond or Collingwood could go either way as well so basically we could face one of Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong in the GF at the MCG of course.

Question is would we have beaten them in the GF? I’d say we’re capable of doing so and going back to back.

2020 COVID affected season. Assuming things goes the same now up until the Dogs game. We beat the Dogs the in a thriller and Darling scores with about a minute instead of missing. We’d be third on the ladder and would’ve faced Brisbane at the Gabba which we don’t match up well against.

We lose that game but I can see us beating the Saints in SF. Port Adelaide would be facing Richmond at AO which I do see Richmond winning and going to the prelim which means we would’ve had to face them at The Gabba which I don’t see us winning against them in the dewy ground. Not surprised if either Geelong or Collingwood knock Port out in straight sets.

I’m not gonna get into 2021 and 2022.

05 we should never have dropped Lynch. We tried to be too smart for our own good. Whilst he had a rubber chest that year, he played every almost every game and should have played in the prelim and grand final.

Bringing Gardy in was a huge mistake. Credit in the banks move

I dare say we win with Lynch…it was 4 points and Gardy was ******* useless.

Losing Braun and Matera in the finals hurt us also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019/2020 pissed me off because the prevailing sentiment those years in large sections of this board was "don't worry, percentage doesn't matter!! it's winning that important!!""

But it did matter. And it cost us dearly. We missed top 4 twice on %
Furthermore its important to put that percentage on early in the year not late when you are knackered from the long season and if you are contending extra fitness drills near end of season.

Funking well bury teams!!!!

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

I think a part of a lot of West Coast supporters won't be satisfied until we win back to back because we've been capable a few times & have believed we had the teams with the ability to get some greater 'Greatness' 🐇

Despite never playing a game, you can't help but wonder how our 05-07 period would have gone if Brad Smith had never hurt his knees. His WAFL stats are breathtaking.

2019 will always hurt, we were every bit as good as Richmond that year. The general sentiment was that the premiership was decided that day at the MCG when they downed us by a goal.

Despite never playing a game, you can't help but wonder how our 05-07 period would have gone if Brad Smith had never hurt his knees. His WAFL stats are breathtaking.

2019 will always hurt, we were every bit as good as Richmond that year. The general sentiment was that the premiership was decided that day at the MCG when they downed us by a goal.

More than likely end up as James Bond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back