What if Nathan Thompson came to Geelong...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dukes Brian

Debutant
Jul 27, 2007
Your mum's bed...
AFL Club
Geelong
HYPOTHETICAL... Now after you've stop laughing, rolling the eyes, chuckling, etc, I just wanted to see your thoughts on if Nathan Thompson came to the Cats. I know he has officially retired and it wont happen, but maybe it could be a good thing (IMO). This is my reasoning: -

Personally I believe he wasn't done. Just had the yips and was injured. Every player gets the yips at some stage, but they more often than not get over that and move on. He was going in for surgery and with a good pre-season, could have been back firing. In his day, he could take an awesome grab, kick a good goal and a bag of them at times. He was ace for Hawthorn, then unfortunately he succumed to depression. Went to North, did alright, and the rest they say is history.

Obviously the Cats forward line needs a little tweaking. Its been a big talking point since that "one day" and no doubt it will continue to be for a while. Since Gary Ablett, we've never really had a "super forward", just men who have done their bit and done what's needed. We're all looking to the likes of Tomahawk and Gamble to lift and take the forward in their stride from 2009, but what if they not quite ready, what if they need to be shown the way in some areas. This is where Nathan would come in... He can simply play in the forward line and teach the lads (TH and RG), show them the way. Make them learn from doing. You could move Mooney up the ground, get Stokes and the like under their feet. Open it up so that they can make it their own. IMO, they need the guidence just as they're starting out. Put him under his wing and lead the way. Sure you have forward coaches, but they're up in the box, not down on the ground where it all happens.

We could use the last of our picks and if it doesn't work, no great loss. Give him a one year contract and go year by year depending on his performance. He wont be worth a lot, so no real strain on the salary cap. IMO everyone is freaking out because of the next couple drafts, but maybe someone needs to think out side the square and take a risk. Dew to the Hawks is a good example. Rare yes that it would work so well with such a gamble, but a risk that worked wonders so far.

Like I say, its way out there and will obviously never happen, but its just a thought. Anything that can help our forward line. Nothing to loose and everything to gain.

If he can settle for a small amount of $$$ and a 1 year contract then sure. He could be an improvement on Mooney if he stays fit.

NT is probably an upgrade over Lonergan, but only because he is a better mark & better 1v1. Both of them have to be hit lace out just about all the time to have a real impact. Clearly NT's body was about done, and the last thing we want is a player who takes himself off the field in a close game.

Every game he plays is one less game someone else plays - we are at the stage when it is time to take the cotton wool off Hawkins and get him going, and if he doesn't we try someone else.

As soon as I read that he'd "retired" (ie been pushed out the door) from North, I thought "gee, I'd love him in the hoops for a year."

Was struggling towards the end of the year but as the OP mentioned, was booked in for surgery when it looked like he'd be continuing with North.

Would be the best contested mark in our team and kick 60+ with ease in 2009 considering the supply he'd get from our midfield. Did pretty well at North with what was basically a no-name midfield - we've got the best around.

I know he was bitterly disappointed at getting the boot from North and I don't know if he'd consider a comeback or whether he's disillusioned by the whole thing, but if I was Wells/Cook I'd be getting on the phone to his manager pronto.

was always just an average player who had some good games.

What a waste of a draft spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

umm hey

now dont take this the wrong way its just a question not a crack at geelong

why do you guys think tomhawkins is so good if it was tom lonergan holding him out of the side he cant be that good?????

and if my mob dont get o keefe you reakon geelong would have a crak at him???

he said to hawks he will take lower then what he actually said

the only reason we arnt getting him cause roos want pick 16 and clarko holding on to it like a baby hanging out a window

NEWSFLASH

Geelong has been the highest scoring team in the comp for the last 2 seasons. A complete overhaul of the forward line based on a (badly timed) loss is NOT going to happen.

Get a grip people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back