Portfolio What if the VFL, WAFL and SANFL merged in 1983?

What approach should I take post-1983?

• Respect the clubs' history, very few mergers, only ones that are absolutely necessary

• * history, merge, re-brand or fold as much as possible, it's just fantasy after all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, this was my dream league when I was a little kid.
And in hindsight it was probably the best case scenario for all teams involved, until we get further in...

Jul 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Pittsburgh Penguins
This would have been the best case scenario. Instead now the VFL dominates and the WAFL and SANFL are forced to languish as its feeder clubs. 10 teams in one state out of 18 is hardly an indicator of true national league, especially when their's state league clubs with pride and history being forced to waste away.

This would have been the best case scenario. Instead now the VFL dominates and the WAFL and SANFL are forced to languish as its feeder clubs. 10 teams in one state out of 18 is hardly an indicator of true national league, especially when their's state league clubs with pride and history being forced to waste away.
And the weird part is the clubs knew that they would waste away. Port Adelaide, Norwood/Sturt, East Perth, Southport, etc. all tried to join the VFL but for whatever reason only Port got in. But alas, we are too far into the AFL now for any notable change to happen.

Buuuuuuump!
Ok, so apologies for the massive wait. The jumpers were done almost a month ago but I had to make the logos and some were very easy but others were hard and couldn't really match the era or the reference images were too small for me to trace. Seeing as I'll be on a holiday (begrudgingly, I'll admit) I may as well give you guys all of the Div 2 teams, as well as a bit of backstory and stuff. We will start with the teams that came from the major leagues, so the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.
swR952X.png

Vnsbliy.png

Z0nKtWL.png

O8slJVQ.png

bNZL4Hj.png

rjNk7tp.png

nt23r9i.png

eCj97Nt.png

SrbLZlr.png

uqghLdk.png

Now we get a tad interesting. So, because the ANFC wanted to expand the league into untapped markets, Tassie and Queensland were the two major ones at this stage. When the teams sourced their players mostly from their state leagues the Queensland based team had a major obstacle. There was one club who they were not able to source players from, and this club was a major club in Queensland. Tasmania had no clubs looking to make the jump, so the representative teams played against each other in a "grading game" which Tasmania won 18.20.126 to 12.5.77. With this result, Tasmania was admitted into Division 2. This sparked an outrage amongst Division 3 teams who believed they were much stronger than what this Tasmania team was. ANFC President Allen Aylett was quick to shut these teams up by saying "if you had performed well enough in'82 then you would have made it into Division 2. If you're really as good as you say you are, get promoted and then we'll talk."
BUesL1n.png

However, this outrage was nothing compared to what was felt by Division 3 clubs, especially Victorian clubs, when Port Melbourne was admitted. One club president famously being quoted as saying "We earnt our way into the VFL, and you're putting an ASSOCIATION TEAM over US?" But with an upgraded AWA sponsorship, VFA prizemoney and a loan from the bank, there was only one thing the league could say. "Money talks." Indeed it does.
2UW51s3.png

Obi fella

Cancelled
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Williamstown
Buuuuuuump!
Ok, so apologies for the massive wait. The jumpers were done almost a month ago but I had to make the logos and some were very easy but others were hard and couldn't really match the era or the reference images were too small for me to trace. Seeing as I'll be on a holiday (begrudgingly, I'll admit) I may as well give you guys all of the Div 2 teams, as well as a bit of backstory and stuff. We will start with the teams that came from the major leagues, so the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.
swR952X.png

Vnsbliy.png

Z0nKtWL.png

O8slJVQ.png

bNZL4Hj.png

rjNk7tp.png

nt23r9i.png

eCj97Nt.png

SrbLZlr.png

uqghLdk.png

Now we get a tad interesting. So, because the ANFC wanted to expand the league into untapped markets, Tassie and Queensland were the two major ones at this stage. When the teams sourced their players mostly from their state leagues the Queensland based team had a major obstacle. There was one club who they were not able to source players from, and this club was a major club in Queensland. Tasmania had no clubs looking to make the jump, so the representative teams played against each other in a "grading game" which Tasmania won 18.20.126 to 12.5.77. With this result, Tasmania was admitted into Division 2. This sparked an outrage amongst Division 3 teams who believed they were much stronger than what this Tasmania team was. ANFC President Allen Aylett was quick to shut these teams up by saying "if you had performed well enough in'82 then you would have made it into Division 2. If you're really as good as you say you are, get promoted and then we'll talk."
BUesL1n.png

However, this outrage was nothing compared to what was felt by Division 3 clubs, especially Victorian clubs, when Port Melbourne was admitted. One club president famously being quoted as saying "We earnt our way into the VFL, and you're putting an ASSOCIATION TEAM over US?" But with an upgraded AWA sponsorship, VFA prizemoney and a loan from the bank, there was only one thing the league could say. "Money talks." Indeed it does.
2UW51s3.png
I love the Port Melbourne take. A famous club in 'What if...' and reality.

I was living in the blind hope that Tasmania would have three teams bidding to join: TANFL, NTFA and the NWFU.
In the future you’ll find that stadium deals will create an issue for the Titans and Tassie may end up with more teams. But I haven’t mapped out much beyond 1983. Just basic notes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Division 3. Only 8/12 teams here are from the big leagues. I still need to make the logos, once that's done I'll post them individually.
upload_2018-5-26_9-9-37.png

chibimatty

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2010
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WACA, Western Force, Arsenal, Glory
Come on mate, give us a wider, straighter sash will ya? :smiley::smiley::smiley:

I'm assuming that's Perth Demons there. Although I don't even know if we're good enough for division 3 :disrelieved:

Last edited:

Civilest

Cancelled
May 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The first one has me stumped
Collingwood, Footscray, Geelong West, a Darwin team?, Perth, South Adelaide, Southport or North Ballarat, St. Kilda, Subiaco?, Willy, Woodville

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
Division 3. Only 8/12 teams here are from the big leagues. I still need to make the logos, once that's done I'll post them individually.
View attachment 502416
Brisbane
Collingwood
Footscray
?
?
Perth
South Adelaide
Southport
St Kilda
Subiaco
West Torrens
Woodville

Some really good guesses so far. Still making the logos. Seems like you guys are mostly spot on, but nobody has gotten the Bulls, which I did expect, and it may take a few of you guys by surprise. Still need to make some logos which has been slow thanks to the lack of source images.
Added a poll, vote to decide how this league may go in the future.

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Some really good guesses so far. Still making the logos. Seems like you guys are mostly spot on, but nobody has gotten the Bulls, which I did expect, and it may take a few of you guys by surprise. Still need to make some logos which has been slow thanks to the lack of source images.
Added a poll, vote to decide how this league may go in the future.

It could only be a Queensland team, so Southport has a local rival to play. I'm going to say the Brisbane suburb of Toombul, known to their long suffering fans as the Bulls:D

It could only be a Queensland team, so Southport has a local rival to play. I'm going to say the Brisbane suburb of Toombul, known to their long suffering fans as the Bulls:D
Not from Queensland, Southport's rival is is the Brisbane Rockets in Division 2.

Back