Portfolio What if the VFL, WAFL and SANFL merged in 1983?

What approach should I take post-1983?

• Respect the clubs' history, very few mergers, only ones that are absolutely necessary

• * history, merge, re-brand or fold as much as possible, it's just fantasy after all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There ain't no Brisbane Rockets in Div 2, or am I mistaken?
Whoops, Brisbane ar in Div 3. I don’t want to spoil, but they wear the same as what I had them wearing in the original iteration of this thread linked in the OP.

I think I've cracked the code:
Brisbane Rockets
Collingwood Magpies
Footscray Bulldogs
Geelong West Roosters
Newcastle Bulls
Perth Demons
South Adelaide Panthers
Southport Sharks
St Kilda Saints
Subiaco Lions
Williamstown Seagulls
Woodville Warriors
2 of these are wrong, including the Bulls.
Hint one: the Bulls have the same initials as what you guessed
Hint two: this club is now merged

Are Canberra and NT competing in your league to make it a truely national comp?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not at this stage, they will probably be relocated entities that come post-1983
Starts with N. Nightcliff merger with Darwin Buffaloes?
As addressed above, NT don’t have a team. They will eventually though.
Northern Bulls
West Torrens Eagles/Woodpeckers
Bingo.
On the name, who do they represent though?
Also, weren’t Woodville the Woodpeckers?

Northern Tasmania?
Not quite.
I’ll probably just wait until I make the logos and then you guys will see.
It’ll probably seem really obvious when it’s revealed though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP.
Ok, so seeing fancyscum post up his thread made me feel inspired to post the final designs in this thread. So here we go. I'll post the big league teams and then give some backstories for the new teams.
Collingwood.png Footscray.png Perth.png South Adelaide.png St Kilda.png Subiaco.png West Torrens.png Woodville.png
Ok there are a few new teams here so buckle up.
Much like Tassie, Queensland was given a license for a team. Brisbane avoided the Bears name and went for a stronger identity in the Rockets, borrowed from the NBA's Houston Rockets.
upload_2018-7-8_21-49-27.png
They were soon followed by a local rival who would be partially to blame for the Rockets' poor performances. Finding themselves to be too strong for the Gold Coast league (in which they lost the 1982 Grand Final), instead of joining the QAFL like they did IRL, Southport joined the AFL. By investing in pokie machines at 2 social clubs (one at the Sharks' home ground of Fankhauser Reserve and one in the busy holiday district at Surfers Paradise) they were able to sign players to large contracts that would ensure their loyalty to the Magpies whether they play in the QAFL or the AFL. After months of negotiations with players and the ANFC that showed they had a strong team of Southport players, QAFL players who missed out on the Rockets inaugural squad and even some GCAFL stars from clubs like the GCAFL reigning premiers Coolangatta, the Magpies were ready to prove that they were Queensland's best side and not the franchise that shared their state. However, Southport wanted to stand free of any nickname clash and took a friendly approach to the teams in the AFL. With there now being 3 teams in the AFL system called the Magpies, as well as 2 having Port in their name, Southport was ready to change nicknames to avoid a clash. They changed to the Sharks as they joined the AFL. However the Sharks weren't simply happy to be here, they would be a force to be reckoned with.
upload_2018-7-8_21-58-38.png

PART 2 TO COME SHORTLY. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME TIME TO POST THE NEXT TWO TEAMS AS I CAN NOT UPLOAD MORE THAN 10 IMAGES. PLEASE WAIT UNTIL I HAVE MADE MY NEXT POST TO POST IN HERE.

DIVISION 2 CONTINUED
Some more VFA teams made their way into the league. With Port Melbourne earning/buying their way into Div 2, the league had 2 more vacant spaces. 3 VFA clubs were vying for these 2 spaces. With Geelong West having a regional background as well as giving the Cats a local rival, the Roosters were an easy entrant to the AFL.
upload_2018-7-8_22-10-55.png
However with the final spot being contested by the 2 Northern Suburbs clubs of Coburg and Preston neither club was a standout. Preston attracted stars and Coburg had a large stadium with expansive terraces. However, at the 11th-hour officials from both clubs met to propose a merger. The new team was to be known as the Northern Bulls and would split their home games between Preston City Oval and Coburg City Oval. Everything about this team was a compromise however it ends up being better than how both teams fared IRL.
upload_2018-7-8_22-21-35.png
And with that my portfolio is now complete. Thank you for staying patient and I hope you enjoyed every design. Stay tuned as I may make a sequel to this portfolio in the near future.

Hope this league doesn't bow to any pressure to have any stupid clash strips:D
Sadly, if there's any sequel clash jumpers will be compulsory since Richmond and Glenelg are in the same division.

Hope this league doesn't bow to any pressure to have any stupid clash strips:D

Sadly, if there's any sequel clash jumpers will be compulsory since Richmond and Glenelg are in the same division.

Coin toss before the game - Whoever loses wears a plain yellow shirt

Top work on this, mate. And that poster is seriously cool!
You should do a 2018 version. Would be interesting.
Thanks guys! Sequel may be coming soon, I just have another portfolio idea and it’s half done so it shouldn’t take too long to complete.

Coin toss before the game - Whoever loses wears a plain yellow shirt

The solution in my original thread was league mandated clash jumpers for teams that looked exactly the same. Although the yellow shirt idea works too, it’s just that the home team should probably wear their home jumper.
Jumper Clash!!!!
Something unique happened in the new league. With Richmond and Glenelg both being Grand Finalists they both made it into the same division.
View attachment 315988
View attachment 315989
(Top: Glenelg, Bottom: Richmond)
With both teams not wanting to sell themselves out, the league needed to step in. They could have gone for heritage kits or something but as both teams were rather stubborn the league had no option but to...
View attachment 315992View attachment 315991
Give them embarrassing white kits! Not like this would happen in real life...
(Only the away team would wear these.)

Back