Hand

Don't think, Do.
May 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Okay, so I've always felt sorry for struggling clubs and the flak they cop for not being able to pull crowds. For instance, when the likes of Melbourne, Footscray and North host low-drawing interstate clubs at the MCG/Docklands..

crowd_al1-420x0.jpg

svHANSEN-420x0.jpg

... There is always someone in the media that feels the need to comment on this issue. Hawthorn had a similar predicament before they rebuilt in 2004. We couldn't even break 20,000 in some circumstances. I'm sure with more on-field success the fans will feel more inclined to turn up to games. North look like they're on the way there, with 22,000 turning up last night against Brisbane in a shithouse timeslot. In the mean time, one can only wonder if my following suggestion could ever work.

Wouldn't it give a club such as North/Footscray a massive boost if 50,000 people voluntarily rocked up to a game against say, Port/Freo/GWS/Gold Coast at Docklands? Like, it would be the absolute last thing the AFL would be expecting, and would be discussed for years and years.

An alternative.. For a Melbourne home game against one of those low-drawing interstate clubs, a crowd of 80,000 ish turned up.

Extremely unlikely, yes, but how great would this be? Two struggling sides, battling for nothing more than respect, expecting to play in front of a near empty stadium, yet unexpectedly in attendance is a finals like crowd.

You probably all think I'm an imbecile for considering this a possibility, but hey, it is something I think about whenever I go to a poorly attended game.

Struggling NBA teams still have 3/4 full stadiums most games. Even Charlotte were filling up 60% of their home court at the end of last season (they went 7-59 and lost their last 23).

I agree though, imagine how good it'd make the players feel, even 40k for a Melbourne game would get them excited, so I wouldn't say it's entirely impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back