What if Trent McKenzie is good now?

What off Trent McKenzie is good now?

• Four more years

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the many things I love about our team is that we have Bonner, Hartlett and McKenzie playing from the full back line up to the wing and yet it's Jonas and Burton who take the lion share of the kick ins.

Jonas taking our kick ins has and always will be unacceptable, especially because Jonas is a great mark and odd kick

One of the many things I love about our team is that we have Bonner, Hartlett and McKenzie playing from the full back line up to the wing and yet it's Jonas and Burton who take the lion share of the kick ins.
The absolute height of football comedy, the only reason it never gets brought up is because the commentators don't know who any of our players are nor even what guernseys we wear.

And kick it to the same spot.

Every. Single. Time.
The worst thing about this is that we seem to line up with our players on the outside of the pack whilst the oppo guard the corridor side.

We then kick it to the corridor side of the pack and end up fighting just to spoil the mark.

If it turns over the oppo are left in a prime position to score.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

The worst thing about this is that we seem to line up with our players on the outside of the pack whilst the oppo guard the corridor side.

We then kick it to the corridor side of the pack and end up fighting just to spoil the mark.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably the most annoying part of our game plan in the Hinkley era.

For 8 years it was kick it to Westhoff down the line, and now it's kick it to Aliir and Dixon down the line.

The kick-in strategy is bizarre, in a) it remains the same no matter what b) the tall targets get beaten - despite every player in the area knowing they should be blocking the oppo talls.

So true.

I can't remember which game this year but I remember Houston preparing to kick in then Jonas came in and booted him out to take the kick in.

Jonas did a down the middle kick (I think that's the only kick in he ever does so it's predictable as hell), there was 30 seconds left of the quarter or something and low and behold we turn it over and the opposition goaled.

Could we play all 4 of Mckenzie, Clurey, Jonas and Aliir?? Mckenzie started his career as winger HBFer type.

We have used 32 players and 13 have been defenders. Stats from 2021 AFL Record Season Guide

Tall ?? defenders
Allir....... 194 cms / 96 kgs
Clurey... 193/95
McKenzie 191/90
Jonas..... 188/90
Also in the squad Lienert 195/93, Goldsack 193/93, Pasini 192/83

Medium defenders
Burton.. 191/90
Bonner.. 190/85
Bergman 189/83
Jones.... 186/90
Houston. 186/88
Hartlett.. 185/83
Mayes... 187/86
Also in the squad Garner 184/85

Small defenders
Byrne-Jones 181/75
Fredrick...... 178/74

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird how Hinkley apparently said the other day he's been looking for a way to try and get McKenzie into the side, and he's had a woeful Hamish Hartlett staring him in the face the whole time.

KhWYTXrj3eGnawQZEsPToFhbF7Y=.gif

It’d be a crime to drop McKenzie at this point. He was given a second chance and he’s done literally everything right to keep his spot. 2 years of great SANFL form, performed well in both of his standalone games in 2018 and 2019, then an exceptional season in 2020 and as soon as he’s back in the side this year he’s in our best. Time for the club to admit this dude is just a straight up gun footballer that was ruined by injuries at the Suns.

Could we play all 4 of Mckenzie, Clurey, Jonas and Aliir?? Mckenzie started his career as winger HBFer type.

We have used 32 players and 13 have been defenders. Stats from 2021 AFL Record Season Guide

Tall ?? defenders
Allir....... 194 cms / 96 kgs
Clurey... 193/95
McKenzie 191/90
Jonas..... 188/90
Also in the squad Lienert 195/93, Goldsack 193/93, Pasini 192/83

Medium defenders
Burton.. 191/90
Bonner.. 190/85
Bergman 189/83
Jones.... 186/90
Houston. 186/88
Hartlett.. 185/83
Mayes... 187/86
Also in the squad Garner 184/85

Small defenders
Byrne-Jones 181/75
Fredrick...... 178/74
i don't think there is any doubt, Mckenzie offers us so much versatility, in being able to play tall, medium and small. along with jonas, he's our safest in a one on one - and he usually goes for his marks, not just spoil any time the ball is coming to him.

Should of been in since round 1
Should've been given a decent run years ago and I can confirm he has been bloody frustrated for a long time. Was overlooked for Broadbent until it was

obvious Matty was cooked and even then was starved of chances. Still Ken knows best I s'pose. Trent's only been on our list 4yrs

From memory he played higher up the ground for GC. He's a lot more than a booming kick and always has been.

Leinert should have come in for Clurey and McKenzie should have been in for Hartlett. When Clurey comes back, unless Leinert proves otherwise, Clurey in for Leinert. If Burton goes down, it will make things interesting as I think McKenzie was his backup.

Should've been given a decent run years ago and I can confirm he has been bloody frustrated for a long time. Was overlooked for Broadbent until it was

obvious Matty was cooked and even then was starved of chances. Still Ken knows best I s'pose. Trent's only been on our list 4yrs

From memory he played higher up the ground for GC. He's a lot more than a booming kick and always has been.
4 years * that's gone too fast

This seems like our plan - use our ground skills to move the ball forward fast once it hits the ground.

It is just ******* teeth-gnashingly deplorable that McKenzie is at least the equal of Hartlett in every area and a lot better than Hartlett in quite a few areas yet wasn't given one game even when Hartlett was likely carrying an injury.

I have to give that Hartlett is probably better at the ground ball but he more than makes up for this by the number of * ups he makes disposing of the ball in the oppositions forward line.

McKenzie is a slightly more penetrating kick IMO, but with a better disposal efficiency and kicking efficiency over the last two seasons, DOUBLE the metres gained over the last two seasons, more total marks.

Hartlett has only 5 less clangers in 9 games this season than McKenzie had for the entire 2020 season.

Now I know for too many reasons to calculate these stats can't be directly compared. But the trend is clear. McKenzie is going to get you far more metres gained at a higher efficiency McKenzie looks more mobile, probably quicker, better in the air and adequate on the ground. Given the opportunity he may even be better on the ground.

There is no reasonable defense to be had why McKenzie has not played one game this season and Hartlett has played nine.

It is just ******* teeth-gnashingly deplorable that McKenzie is at least the equal of Hartlett in every area and a lot better than Hartlett in quite a few areas yet wasn't given one game even when Hartlett was likely carrying an injury.

I have to give that Hartlett is probably better at the ground ball but he more than makes up for this by the number of fu** ups he makes disposing of the ball in the oppositions forward line.

McKenzie is a slightly more penetrating kick IMO, but with a better disposal efficiency and kicking efficiency over the last two seasons, DOUBLE the metres gained over the last two seasons, more total marks.

Hartlett has only 5 less clangers in 9 games this season than McKenzie had for the entire 2020 season.

Now I know for too many reasons to calculate these stats can't be directly compared. But the trend is clear. McKenzie is going to get you far more metres gained at a higher efficiency McKenzie looks more mobile, probably quicker, better in the air and adequate on the ground. Given the opportunity he may even be better on the ground.

There is no reasonable defense to be had why McKenzie has not played one game this season and Hartlett has played nine.
KFC chips though

Back