Discussion what if: vfa (before 1897) the qafl and nswfl, formed the east australian football league back in 1897

Remove this Banner Ad

sslionel7777

Draftee
Apr 16, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
not sure where this belongs, maybe the divvy bay, dunno..

what do you think would happen if queensland & new south wales football league merged with the vfa and instead if being the vfl, was the eafl (east australian football league) ?

Since you brought up the year. What teams were involved in all competitions? I didn't think nsw or Queensland's had a proper league

Both the QFL and NSWFA began in 1903; the QFL had 3 teams: Norths, Souths and Wests. In 1904 the league expanded to 6 teams: Brisbane, City, Locomotives, QME (QLD Meat Exporters), Valley and Wynuum. The NSWFA had 11 teams: Alexandria, Ashfield, Balmain, East Sydney, Newtown, North Shore, Paddington, Redfern, Sydney, West Sdney and YMCA.

Tbf it would be impossible for a league like this to exist in 1897 purely due to logistical issues. Dunno how a team team from Brisbane would be able to travel to Melbourne & back on a horse & cart within the space of a week.

This is what my East Aust FL would look like:

Vic:
Frankston
Port Melb
Preston
Sandringham
Werribee Bengals
Williamstown

Qld:
Aspley
Logan City Sun Devils
Morningside
Sandgate
Southport
Sunshine Coast Zephyrs

NSW:
Campbelltown Bulls
Canberra Colts
Cronulla Cobras
Manly Mantarays
Parramatta Rattlers
Randwick Rushcutters

I tried to use geography as a criteria for inclusion in this league. Most areas of each city are represented. Along with no doubling up on club strips and identities. In the future 6 Tassie teams would look to join: Burnie, Clarence, Devonport, Hobart, Launceston and North Launceston,

Last edited:
This is what my East Aust FL would look like:

Vic: Qld: NSW:
Frankston Aspley Campbelltown Bulls
Port Melb Logan City Sun Devils Canberra Colts
Preston Morningside Cronulla Cobras
Sandringham Sandgate Manly Mantarays
Werribee Bengals Southport Parramatta Rattlers
Williamstown Sunshine Coast Zephyrs Randwick Rushcutters

I tried to use geography as a criteria for inclusion in this league. Most areas of each city are represented. Along with no doubling up on club strips and identities.
From a nsw point of view I think you are missing atleast one inner city side, your newtown, wests (which I think is closer to ashfield then Parramatta) or ashfield sides. A North Shore side is probably more likely to be based around North Sydney/chatswood over the northern beaches.

From a nsw point of view I think you are missing atleast one inner city side, your newtown, wests (which I think is closer to ashfield then Parramatta) or ashfield sides. A North Shore side is probably more likely to be based around North Sydney/chatswood over the northern beaches.

There is only 6 spots available for each State and unfortunately some areas miss out. I would have liked to include Box Hill and Coburg. I would have liked to include Balmain or Kellyville. I would have liked to include another Gold Coast side (Broadbeach or PB Currumbin) or Mt Gravatt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back