What if we had Delidio back to fitness now to complete our finals team make up

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously Dustin is a star & so are the other A graders we have & we would struggle without them etc.

But the biggest part of our success is the mid-tier & new comers that are willing to hunt in packs & do the unfashionable. Think Lambert, Caddy, Butler, George, Grimes etc.

It's beautiful to watch really.

All credit to the change in culture & buy in from the players. It's been a seismic shift.

Lol i loved Lids but the bloke couldn't fight through a tag to save his life, the club, Dimma, Cotch, everyone that's played with him and all the fans know that.

Imagine how emotional Deledio would be if we play them in a qualifying final. Brings back memories of Luke Ball vs St Kilda.
The only thing that could even slightly take away the joy of winning a final is if we did it with Lids on the other team.
Would be so, so happy, but a bit sad that we couldnt get a final win during his 12 seasons and then win one against him straight after he leaves.

It's been reported ad nauseam.

Was a finding in the Deloitte analysis & was self-evident when he spoke publically.

Lids used to go into the recruiters offices & want to be updated on who they we're getting / trying to get. Which is fine to be excitable, but I think he felt no door at RFC was closed to him.

Those stories about Lids around he club has come from rumours from fans and they've been disproved, yet everyone keeps sticking to the same story.

The part about him asking about who the club are trying to get is true though. I haven't seen anyone criticise Cotchin, Jack and Maric for doing the same though.

I think there's good reason he was seen as Richmond's 'golden boy'. Has slotted into GWS squad easily and is very well liked by all already.

I have a Masters degree in Deledio. Come at me.

I'm so happy the club traded him. I love lids and wish him well but I'm proud we made the tough call. At the end of the day we got Caddy and a first rounder. Caddy and Prestia are now starting to hit there straps, also lids would've made our team completely different we wouldn't have all the smalls as he would've played as a lead up forward and not to mention having him off the park for the season would've killed us.

the bloke couldn't fight through a tag to save his life

Myth.

This myth stems from early 2009 when he genuinely couldn't deal with a tag. The team was struggling, Lids had been grinding it away in the midfield for years and was getting tagged week in week out as we didn't really have many elite midfield options. In the latter half of 2009 he was transformed into a reverse-tagger. He basically just took out their tagger while still playing his attacking style. It wasn't the ideal position as we learnt in his later years at Richmond, but it was the best for us in a time of need. He tfinished the season by winning the JD medal again.

I'm happy we traded him, but I still get annoyed seeing people talk dribble about him simply because his best position wasn't as an inside midfielder.

Myth.

This myth stems from early 2009 when he genuinely couldn't deal with a tag. The team was struggling, Lids had been grinding it away in the midfield for years and was getting tagged week in week out as we didn't really have many elite midfield options. In the latter half of 2009 he was transformed into a reverse-tagger. He basically just took out their tagger while still playing his attacking style. It wasn't the ideal position as we learnt in his later years at Richmond, but it was the best for us in a time of need. He tfinished the season by winning the JD medal again.

I'm happy we traded him, but I still get annoyed seeing people talk dribble about him simply because his best position wasn't as an inside midfielder.

I don't disagree he was getting played out of position and we were struggling with not much help around him i always viewed him as an outside type/forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a f*** about this guy anymore? He's not a Richmond player so I don't give a s**t how we would look if he played for us now. May as well start a thread about how we would look with Marco Papparone in our forward line. Would have just as much relevance
Me and clearly others. Just because you dont, doesnt mean no one does.

Sorry didnt realize we couldn't talk about any players that had left. No one ever mention Richo and how good it would be to have him playing now, or mention Vickery or White or any past player ever.
This is a Richmond board, not current Richmond team board.

And if you dont care, why are you clicking on the post? Just keep on scrolling and it doesnt affect you.

Me and clearly others. Just because you dont, doesnt mean no one does.

Sorry didnt realize we couldn't talk about any players that had left. No one ever mention Richo and how good it would be to have him playing now, or mention Vickery or White or any past player ever.
This is a Richmond board, not current Richmond team board.

And if you dont care, why are you clicking on the post? Just keep on scrolling and it doesnt affect you.
If you don't care about me posting why not just ignore me and keep scrolling then it doesn't affect you.

No problem with discussing Deledio but these pointless "what if" threads are clogging up the board and I have a right to voice my opinion on whether I like them or not. If you don't like my opinion then jog on you plum.

Should have played the role Caddy currently plays his whole career like he did in his early years. Hope he gets to go out proving it.

His overhead and contested marking, elite field kicking when able to find space and time and outstanding conversion just screamed 'why are you wasting me scrapping at the contest?' season after season through his prime footballing years with us.

Another of so many 'what if's' from that era.

If you don't care about me posting why not just ignore me and keep scrolling then it doesn't affect you.

No problem with discussing Deledio but these pointless "what if" threads are clogging up the board and I have a right to voice my opinion on whether I like them or not. If you don't like my opinion then jog on you plum.
When did I say I didnt care? Mind quoting that bit?

Which ones are pointless? Wheres the clogging? I see only this thread that is about a scenario thats not possible.
And instead its about the biggest what if of this season. No other trade had an alternative that could have made us better right now.

Loved Lids. Total Jet.
I hope Dusty runs straight through him in Sept.
He's a Giant.

Unpopular opinion - but it's just that, an opinion:

I don't think we have missed Lids for one second.

We seem a far more cohesive TEAM without him. And the Jack, Rance, Cotchy captaincy is really working.

Dusty has levelled up nicely in his absence also.

Unpopular opinion - but it's just that, an opinion:

I don't think we have missed Lids for one second.

We seem a far more cohesive TEAM without him.

I don't really have an opinion re. the influence of Deledio's personality on the rest of the playing group, but I'd suggest that a significant part of the change you mention is down to the change in game plan.

The old game plan far too often saw players end up in self-protection mode, passing the buck, stat padding, taking easy, low risk, low reward options. None of it was conducive to building a confident, tight knit playing group.

This season, finally, we back ourselves more often to play direct, bold football. We kick long and quickly to 1-on-1's and back our blokes to win them or break even. We tackle and fight for possession of the ball and the corridor instead of conceding both. Far less scope this year for confidence sapping disposal errors, much more of a 'your turn to go' camaraderie with this way more positive and very much football 101 brand of play.

I'd suggest it's a far bigger factor than Deledio's departure. They're happy in their football. Instead of the ball being a ticking time bomb they need to thread through the eye of a needle repeatedly (or else disaster!), it's something to be hunted, fought for and shared - Fast!

Totally different mindset. Reaping big rewards in player improvement/development.

Those stories about Lids around he club has come from rumours from fans and they've been disproved, yet everyone keeps sticking to the same story.

This. Haven't really seen/heard many of these rumours outside of these boards. Seems like 1 or 2 people said it on here and then everyone jumped on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back