Competition "What If" Wednesdays: Week 6 - Fremantle Hammers

Remove this Banner Ad

And we're back!

Welcome to Week 6 of

"What If"
Wednesdays

Each Wednesday (most likely not) a non-existing team that has been known in the AFL world as a proposition or a former team will have a spot in the 2015 AFL Season
Each comp will run for 1 week and the poll will run for 1 week. The winner picks the next team in the list below

There are 3 routes you can go by if you're stuck
  • The chosen team has entered the competition in 2015 along with the current 18 OR
  • Design kits as if they've been in the competition all along OR
  • Go back in time when the team entered the competition
    eg. Design kits in 1991 when Adelaide entered the competition as the Crows

Your job is to produce a:
  • Home kit
  • Away kit (Home jumper with white shorts is acceptable) or Clash kit or Heritage kit or Other kit
  • Club Logo
This week we ask....

What if Fremantle entered the AFL as the 'Hammers'?

NEW RULES 23/6/15 (Read Carefully):
  • Kits and Logo must be in 1 picture
  • The kits can consist of a Jumper (Shorts and socks are encouraged to give a full identity effect)
  • Minimum 2 kits and there's no limit to how many kits you can include after that
    eg. Home and Away and/or Clash and/or Heritage and/or Others
  • Maximum 2 entries per person
  • For the former teams I'll allow the use of the last jumper design the club used only once (Opens the door for that modern creativity)
  • For the proposed teams Directly copying a kit (Colours and design) of any team is disallowed
  • For the mergers, no restrictions. You can take any elements from the clubs involved in the merger and create whatever you please
  • Proposed and Former teams - Do not use logos or jumper artwork that is being used or has been used by the club before.
  • Any team - Creating a logo from scratch is encouraged but you may take inspiration from and/or alter any sports logo to drive home your design.
  • Any proposed designs that have been brought up for the current team will not be allowed for use
  • Proposed Teams - You may use any colours you like even if it is being used by the team as long as it doesn't replicate any past/present designs the team has
  • Any other questions will be answered

List of teams
More Adelaide and Brisbane teams added
(BOLD - Done, Italics - In Use)
Former
  • University
  • Brisbane Bears
  • Fitzroy Lions
Mergers
  • Sydney Lions (Sydney Swans and Fitzroy Lions merger)
  • Melbourne Hawks (Melbourne Demons and Hawthorn Hawks merger)
  • Melbourne Lions (Melbourne Demons and Fitzroy Lions merger)
  • North Fitzroy Kangaroos (North Melbourne Kangaroos and Fitzroy Lions merger)
  • Fitzroy Bulldogs (Fitzroy Lions and Footscray Bulldogs merger)
  • Gold Coast Kangaroos (GC Suns and North Melbourne Kangaroos merger)
  • Fremantle Sharks (East Fremantle and South Fremantle merger)
  • Norwood-Sturt merger for AFL spot

Proposed
  • Tasmanian Team
  • Sydney Celtics
  • Fremantle
    • Union
    • Courage
    • Dolphins
    • Hammers
    • Stokers
    • Mariners
  • Greater Western Sydney
    • Pride
    • Wolves
    • Stallions
  • Adelaide
    • Lakers
    • Sharks
    • Falcons
    • Rams
    • Arrows
    • Dolphins
  • Port Adelaide
    • Raiders
    • Pirates
    • Mariners
    • Sharks
  • Gold Coast
    • Stingrays
    • Marlins
    • Lifesavers
    • Ironmen
  • Brisbane
    • Rockets
    • Breakers

Any others I missed? Feel free to add them in.

Honour Roll

Week 1: University - Bacon Warrior
Week 2: Sydney Celtics - St Mark
Week 3: Melbourne Lions - ScottFreo
Week 4: Port Adelaide Raiders - exile
Week 5: Adelaide Falcons - Bryce_Jersey17
Week 6: Fremantle Hammers - Could Be You!

Last edited:
Fremantle%20Hammers%20Both.png

• For the proposed teams Directly copying a kit (Colours and design) of any team is disallowed
  • Do not use logos or jumper artwork that is being used or has been used by the club before or directly recolour any sports teams logo
Clever idea but it's Freos first jumpers with a hammer replacing the anchor and hammers in their first logo

Anyone else wish Freo still incorporated green onto their jumper somehow? Don't get me wrong I prefer the current design but I think it's a shame that the green had to go.
It's a pity no club uses green. The Canberra Raiders looks great and it was a unique look within the AFL. Purple's a good colour too, although using such a dark shade makes it look almost navy.

Anyone else wish Freo still incorporated green onto their jumper somehow? Don't get me wrong I prefer the current design but I think it's a shame that the green had to go.
Fremantle's had a few green training guernseys over the years that were pretty good, I hope they stick with just purple and white though. It gives a future team the opportunity to use green.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if you wanted this to be a serious competition but I though I'd take a different approach to the "Hammers".

Hammer_zpsas8g30br.png

Hammer%20Logo_zpsykgxlt1v.png

Last edited:
So I've taken a bit of a hypothetical and not sure if it'll count in the comp but I'm not too fussed as I've had fun putting it together regardless.
Anyway the year is 1993 and there is rumblings that the a new team entering the AFL will be based in Fremantle and are likely to be called the Hammers. On the other side of the world London based west ham hear of the plans and are none to please with this new team nicking there nickname. A phone-call is made by the real hammers and official negotiations.
The AFL do their best to convince them that this new team won't tarnish the brand of west ham and will become a success. The AFL lets them know that this club wont be a laughing stock and will be financially well supported to help lead to obvious profits. West Ham officials hear this and think that they could make a few quid on this venture and do a bit of negotiations with the AFL to become co-owners of this new club.
Work begins on branding with this new club so that they work well together to both introduce Australians to west ham and still respect the local values of football in the Fremantle community. What they hear is chevrons are popular. They look back in their cupboards and find their 76-77 home kit should be able to fit the bill. Next they look at an away jumper for the hammers. They gave up quickly and just went with last years away kit and adapt it for this other football. west_ham_united_1976-1977.gif west_ham_united_1976-1977.gif west-ham-92-away_3_1_1.jpg
Next the merchandising department set to work on the logo. Now some of the crew just wanted the same logo but they agreed it was lazy. They decided to focus on a local landmark similar to west hams castle logo. After realising there limited options for landmarks for the town, they settled on the Fremantle prison with a few jokes being made by locals Brits at the convict heritage of Australia. Adding to this they focussed on the hammers and chevrons hoping these would become icons of the new club.
freo hammers 2.jpg

Last edited:
So I've taken a bit of a hypothetical and not sure if it'll count in the comp but I'm not too fussed as I've had fun putting it together regardless.
Anyway the year is 1993 and there is rumblings that the a new team entering the AFL will be based in Fremantle and are likely to be called the Hammers. On the other side of the world London based west ham hear of the plans and are none to please with this new team nicking there nickname. A phone-call is made by the real hammers and official negotiations.
The AFL do their best to convince them that this new team won't tarnish the brand of west ham and will become a success. The AFL lets them know that this club wont be a laughing stock and will be financially well supported to help lead to obvious profits. West Ham officials hear this and think that they could make a few quid on this venture and do a bit of negotiations with the AFL to become co-owners of this new club.
Work begins on branding with this new club so that they work well together to both introduce Australians to west ham and still respect the local values of football in the Fremantle community. What they hear is chevrons are popular. They look back in their cupboards and find their 76-77 home kit should be able to fit the bill. Next they look at an away jumper for the hammers. They gave up quickly and just went with last years away kit and adapt it for this other football.View attachment 136855 View attachment 136855 View attachment 136856
Next the merchandising department set to work on the logo. Now some of the crew just wanted the same logo but they agreed it was lazy. They decided to make one change swapping out the traditional castle for a local landmark. After realising there limited options for landmarks for the town, they settled on the Fremantle prison with a few jokes being made by locals Brits at the convict heritage of Australia.
View attachment 136857
Nice back story. The only thing I'd disallow is the logo since it's a clear ripoff
Change it and it's an entry :thumbsu:
Do not........directly recolour any sports teams logo

Work begins on branding with this new club so that they work well together to both introduce Australians to west ham and still respect the local values of football in the Fremantle community. What they hear is chevrons are popular. They look back in their cupboards and find their 76-77 home kit should be able to fit the bill. Next they look at an away jumper for the hammers. They gave up quickly and just went with last years away kit and adapt it for this other football.View attachment 136855 View attachment 136855 View attachment 136856
Next the merchandising department set to work on the logo. Now some of the crew just wanted the same logo but they agreed it was lazy. They decided to make one change swapping out the traditional castle for a local landmark. After realising there limited options for landmarks for the town, they settled on the Fremantle prison with a few jokes being made by locals Brits at the convict heritage of Australia.
View attachment 136857
man, if this had eventuated, North never would have had the Argentina stripes.
you sir, have my vote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back